Who makes an EarthRoamer ER2K?

bigreen505

Expedition Leader
After poking around the EarthRoamer site and other places I'm starting to think that Bill's original ER2K is my ideal 4-season exploration rig. Who makes something close to it now, or at least a camper similar to that one that could be married to a pickup in much the same way as the ER2K or current XV-LT? It really is like a downsized version of the current XV-LT.

I also like the Sportsmobiles, but really more in theory than actual execution.

haven

Expedition Leader
When Bill Swails talked about the design of the Earthroamer ER-XV, he said he was building a larger vehicle for couples or a family with children. The size of the ER2K wasn't large enough for two people to use for an extended trip, and still be friends.

I think the original ER2K is still for sale. I see it in photos of the Earthroamer owners' gatherings.

The original ER2K was a box on the back of a flatbed pickup. You can get Alaskan Camper to build a pop-up camper to any length you specify with or without the cab-over.

The RC Willet Co will built any of their Northstar campers, including the pop-up models, for use on a flatbed. They have sold flatbed designs in Australia for several years. Here's one example

http://www.freedomoffroad.com.au/850sidedoor.php

If you don't need/want a hard side camper:

Campa USA built a Tacoma with tent camping unit on the back.
They called it the Expedition Vehicle System. There was talk
about building a similar setup on a full-size Dodge Power Wagon.

Adventure Trailers has a new trailer with clamshell design in the
works. It sounds like a good candidate for mounting on a flatbed, too.

Chip Haven

Clutch

<---Pass
Four Wheel Camper on a custom utility box....basically the same thing as the ER2K.

http://expeditionportal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=12766

173756052_F7RQU-M.jpg

Last edited:

18seeds

Explorer
or at least a camper similar to that one that could be married to a pickup in much the same way as the ER2K or current XV-LT?

I am not aware of any of the truck camper manufactures that will "marry" the camper to the truck so you can pass from the cab to the camper side. Back in the day lite-craft and hallmark did it with the broncos

I'm with you i think that is was an ideal set up.

You may want to check out the guys at vanture.com in denver. They can build some nice stuff and i'm sure it's a buyers market

bigreen505

Expedition Leader
Thanks all, that is great information. I may have to talk to Bill about what worked/what didn't.

18seeds, I may want to get a tour of your truck sometime. I'm starting to think that my ideal (want, not need) is a four season vehicle and I'm not sure something with a canvas top really fits that. I keep looking at the XV-JP and thinking that must be pretty cold on a cold winter night.

The ER2K and the Turtle V (thanks for the reminder on that Jeff) seem to be about the same size. For that matter, the ER2K and XV-JP seem to be about the same size too.

It's funny, when I look at everything I want, the Sportsmobile seems to be just about the perfect compromise, but I tend to rule it out because it seems like a compromise in almost every way. I guess mostly I'm just concerned about build quality on them, both the Ford end and the Sportsmobile conversion.

DaveInDenver

Middle Income Semi-Redneck
I'm starting to think that my ideal (want, not need) is a four season vehicle and I'm not sure something with a canvas top really fits that. I keep looking at the XV-JP and thinking that must be pretty cold on a cold winter night.
I have heard people comment that FWC can be cold, but I wonder if that strip of canvas is really that big of a deal with the heater. I can tell you that the WilderNest in the winter can be cold, but tolerable. The question is not definitive because one person's tolerance is different than another's. So I'm comfortable in a tent and <0F bag in the winter, where another person would think that's positively asinine. But compared to a tent in winter the 'Nest is a step up in some ways (3" thick mattress + closed cell foam = comfort), colder in others (having air flow under the bed means you need a 3" mattress and closed cell foam). And no matter how you slice it, crawling out of the bag into a cold truck is not ideal. Maybe if a person can't wear flip-flops and a t-shirt inside their camper in the winter it's too cold, for another everything is peachy as long as there's no dripping from the inside of a snow cave. I suspect it's also a matter of use. I mean I'm camping in my truck to ski or hike in the winter, so I can deal with a couple of mornings of cold where if it was a whole winter living in it, yeah not so much. On the upside, you can stand up and prep before stepping out into the snow and that alone makes the 'Nest much better winter camping than a tent.

18seeds

Explorer
Bill call me

I got my truck and camper in Boulder today. Broadway and Pine.

It's a nice day let's take a break.

geodasher

Observer
another pickup based camper

After poking around the EarthRoamer site and other places I'm starting to think that Bill's original ER2K is my ideal 4-season exploration rig. Who makes something close to it now, or at least a camper similar to that one that could be married to a pickup in much the same way as the ER2K or current XV-LT? It really is like a downsized version of the current XV-LT.
The Tiger has an integrated, pass-through camper mated to a new 1-ton pickup chassis of your choice. It is not as capable off-road as an ER or SMB but it fits more modest needs.

dzzz

I am not aware of any of the truck camper manufactures that will "marry" the camper to the truck so you can pass from the cab to the camper side. Back in the day lite-craft and hallmark did it with the broncos

I'm with you i think that is was an ideal set up.

You may want to check out the guys at vanture.com in denver. They can build some nice stuff and i'm sure it's a buyers market

A truck camper has the truck bed in the way. But some on frame campers can be adopted. Any local custom car builder can do that.
I do agree the integration is important. With a super cab or a crew cab the owner can install swivel seats. It's another room in the camper. I think some of the guys with cab overs don't want the connection because it reminds them of sitting on top of the engine all day.

I like the sportsmobile Sprinter as a road RV. The 4x4 van conversion seem to be resold a lot. But I can see how it works for some people.

haven

Expedition Leader
Bill Swails put two camper bodies on his prototype Dodge 2500 called "Earthroamer 2K." Read about these vehicles here
http://www.earthroamer.com/tab_aboutus/truck_camper_old.html
http://www.earthroamer.com/tab_aboutus/camper.html

The first vehicle was a Dodge pickup with utility body and a Four Wheel Campers popup camper. The photo gallery is here
http://www.earthroamer.com/galleries/photo_er2k/gallery.html

Based on his experiences with the utility body and pop-up camper,
Bill designed a second camper. It was constructed of composite materials
by Safari Vehicles in Vancouver
See the photos here
http://www.earthroamer.com/galleries/20001018/gallery.html

Chip Haven

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taunger