Who makes trailer frames?

bonomonster

Adventurer
I see that a lot of guys weld up these beautiful, heavy duty, custom offroad trailer frames in their garages, and I'm wondering if there's a company around that builds offroad trailer frames independent of the whole trailer?

I am thinking of something 4x8 with a backbone and 2" receivers at both ends. For suspension, I'm thinking the Timbren IFS that just bolts on. I called around local to me about having the frame made and that's not an option. Only one place was even receptive to the idea, and with what they quoted, you would've thought it was made from platinum.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Chris Boyd

Explorer
Adventure Trailers makes sells just their frame as a DIY kit. It has a very nice trailing link design made popular by the Chaser and Horizon trailers.

Given Martyn at AT a call.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jays0n

Adventurer
+1 on Dinoot.com. My frame was built by them, well, kinda. Scott from Dinoot has a local to him (in Oregon) company that manufactures custom frames for 40's Fords I believe, they build his frames as well. Not sure what I paid as it was part of a long list of parts (fiberglass tub kit, axle, springs, etc) that all came to me on a pallet but the quality is superb and i have no complaints at all. Talk to Scott if that might work for you, he's a great guy and is really into offroad trailers and supporting the DIY community.

I wonder if you could contact off-road trailer companies and inquire about a bare frame build. There were a few shops near me that offered the service outside of a complete trailer, but it was not cost effective so I ended up building the frame myself.

Titanpat57

Expedition Leader
Mike...look on Craigslist and see if you can find a guy that does fab on the side. You might be able to get something done pretty resonably.

bonomonster

Adventurer
Thanks guys... Adventure Trailers said they would be willing, but shipping due to the distance is probably very expensive.

I haven't checked with Dinoot, but I will take coops advise and check with Highland Expedition Outfitters first and see what they say. The reason being is that they are located close to Knoxville, and I will be moving to Knoxville in 6 Mos.

wheatbackdigger

I see that a lot of guys weld up these beautiful, heavy duty, custom offroad trailer frames in their garages, and I'm wondering if there's a company around that builds offroad trailer frames independent of the whole trailer?

I am thinking of something 4x8 with a backbone and 2" receivers at both ends. For suspension, I'm thinking the Timbren IFS that just bolts on. I called around local to me about having the frame made and that's not an option. Only one place was even receptive to the idea, and with what they quoted, you would've thought it was made from platinum.

Buy a good welder, find a steel supplier, go at it yourself. This is what I did a couple years ago. Did multiple small projects first and worked my way (and welding skills) to welding my own frame. You'd be surprised how much use you'll get out of it.

coop74

Old Camping Dude
Thanks guys... Adventure Trailers said they would be willing, but shipping due to the distance is probably very expensive.

I haven't checked with Dinoot, but I will take coops advise and check with Highland Expedition Outfitters first and see what they say. The reason being is that they are located close to Knoxville, and I will be moving to Knoxville in 6 Mos.

When you get here look me up and if you are a FB kind of person check out East TN Overlanders, a good and active group. In fact the owner of HEO is a member...

Big Coop

bonomonster

Adventurer
Buy a good welder, find a steel supplier, go at it yourself. This is what I did a couple years ago. Did multiple small projects first and worked my way (and welding skills) to welding my own frame. You'd be surprised how much use you'll get out of it.
This is the eventual plan. Unfortunately, I currently don't have a place to do this,but that will change when I move.
When you get here look me up and if you are a FB kind of person check out East TN Overlanders, a good and active group. In fact the owner of HEO is a member...

Big Coop
Thanks, I just joined. I noticed a few people I know, and my cousin are already members.

ahb1989

Fix My Camper LLC

I sent you a private message.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taunger