Whoa...the new 2020+ Titan Pro-4x has serious potential...

Highlander

The Strong, Silent Type
what is attractive with Tundras and Toyota general is the huge aftermarket in the US and elsewhere, whereas Nissan Titan never made it into overland world very successfully. I blame the bed marketing but this is not the point. The point is if you are a guy who wants to modify and customize the truck a Tundra makes more sense.
If modifying it is not your goal a Titan Pro 4x is very good choice.

plainjaneFJC

Deplorable
The premium one pays for a "legendary reliability" has legendary staying power.
You pay extra to roll it off the lot, ten years later, someone else pays extra for something they think they can trust, five years after, the same.
All that time, there was a Nissan that did the same thing, no bed stiffeners, turbos, re-engineered rear suspensions, just did it anyway, with no premium, so cheaper at any age.
The market recognizes "Legendary Reliability"--sometimes it misses ordinary reliability & that's when we call it a deal-
If I was buying a new midsized I think the frontier would be my first choice, but I’d w expect it to be a little cheaper than the Tacoma. I imagine the Toyota and Nissan are both priced good compared to domestic trucks now that most all trucks sell for sticker price

LionZoo

Observer
I just watch a TFL tundra video. A 2022 Tundra limited has 1400lbs payload.
2022 Titan has 1650lbs.

In terms of Tundras, it's the top of the line Capstone (which is really a luxury truck) that has 1,480 pound payload. The popular TRD Pro has a 1,600 pound payload. The Limited 4x4 with a 6.5 foot bed, with available locker in the TRD Off-Road package, has a 1,820 pound payload. The SR5 4x4 with a 6.5 foot bed and a rear lockers has a few more pounds of payload than the Limited.

01tundra

Explorer
In terms of Tundras, it's the top of the line Capstone (which is really a luxury truck) that has 1,480 pound payload. The popular TRD Pro has a 1,600 pound payload. The Limited 4x4 with a 6.5 foot bed, with available locker in the TRD Off-Road package, has a 1,820 pound payload. The SR5 4x4 with a 6.5 foot bed and a rear lockers has a few more pounds of payload than the Limited.

"Advertised" payloads are pretty much useless.

Hop on over to the Tundra forum and you'll find that there hasn't been one truck in all the different configurations that has exceeded 1,500 lb payload, most of them have been 1,310-1,400 lbs.....

KrymSIX

what is attractive with Tundras and Toyota general is the huge aftermarket in the US and elsewhere, whereas Nissan Titan never made it into overland world very successfully. I blame the bed marketing but this is not the point. The point is if you are a guy who wants to modify and customize the truck a Tundra makes more sense.
If modifying it is not your goal a Titan Pro 4x is very good choice.

I wouldn't say that the Tundra aftermarket is huge. In general, yes, Toyota platforms have more global support and more US support. The Tundra (and Sequoia) really don't have much more support than Nissan's Titan from aftermarket off road and overlanding companies.

The Titan has a respectable amount of aupport these days to make it a viable option.

With the prices of vehicles these days on the new market the pricing for Nissan is very close to Toyota.

Nissan's gain huge ground on the used market where near new examples can be had for 10k less than the comparable Toyota. The quality isn't an issue with the Titan, Frontier or Armada.

They just don't have the popularity to support the used market craze that Toyota trucks enjoy. People absolutely pay a premium to get a Toyota badge on their used truck purchase.

Highlander

The Strong, Silent Type
They just don't have the popularity to support the used market craze that Toyota trucks enjoy. People absolutely pay a premium to get a Toyota badge on their used truck purchase.

Yeah that's brandism.

Nissan XD is also an attractive truck though you have to have a good reason to chose it over a RAM2500 or F250.
I heard a rumor that Nissans is going phase the XD out.
They shouldn't have to ditch the diesel option. IMHO.

These are good numbers. Way better than a RAM PW.

1644173851310.png

al_burpe

Observer
The premium one pays for a "legendary reliability" has legendary staying power.
You pay extra to roll it off the lot, ten years later, someone else pays extra for something they think they can trust, five years after, the same.
All that time, there was a Nissan that did the same thing, no bed stiffeners, turbos, re-engineered rear suspensions, just did it anyway, with no premium, so cheaper at any age.
The market recognizes "Legendary Reliability"--sometimes it misses ordinary reliability & that's when we call it a deal-
I used to think this way until I got burned enough times buying used Nissans, Fords, and Jeeps. When buying a used vehicle, it is really hard to not find the brands/models with low resale value attractive and think it is a better deal. I almost always end up paying more in the long run. Now, I just try to figure out which Toyota is the best deal which is how I ended up in a Sienna instead of a Sequoia.

plainjaneFJC

Deplorable
I used to think this way until I got burned enough times buying used Nissans, Fords, and Jeeps. When buying a used vehicle, it is really hard to not find the brands/models with low resale value attractive and think it is a better deal. I almost always end up paying more in the long run. Now, I just try to figure out which Toyota is the best deal which is how I ended up in a Sienna instead of a Sequoia.
I have owned multiple ford/Chevy/dodge, they all nickel and dime me to death, I’d just assume pay once and get it over with.

Bergger

Explorer
I love Toyotas. From 1995 to 2020 I owned 3 Tacomas, a 1995, 2003 and 2013. All great trucks and never gave me any issues at all. In 2020 I decided to move up to a full size truck for the first time. I found a lightly used 2018 Tundra, 30k miles and 2018 Titan Pro 4x with 11k miles. I went into the test drives expecting to buy the Tundra. After all I had been a Toyota guy for 25 years. The Tundra was nice and a great truck but seemed just ho hum to me. The minute I drove the Titan off the lot and stepped on the gas I was sold. Felt more powerfull and I like the comfort and feel of the truck. Also the warranty can't be beat. The truck has been rock solid with no issues at all. The price was better as well. Now I don't think you can go wrong with either truck but I do believe the Titan is overlooked by many people and that's too bad. It is a great truck and I hope it stays around. I'm sure mine will last me for a long time but if I had to buy a new truck I'd but a new Titan in a heart beat. The XD is also a great option if you need a heavier payload.

plainjaneFJC

Deplorable
Really? I did not know that. I expected that Cummins was just a reduced 6.7.
5.0 liter light duty v8, vs a medium duty inline 6. For the application I think a v8 is the way to go, just didn’t seem executed very well. I heard lots of complaints on them, they were deeply discounted at one time

nickw

Adventurer
I thought the Titan's were cool rigs but this is the biggest drawback for me is (maybe somebody already mentioned it):

1644253274635.png

Domestic full size rigs are mid 30 gallons which gives another ~100 miles of range. You'd be less than 300 miles while towing with the Titan.....

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JCCB1998