Who's building the best 3/4 Ton/ 1 Ton Gas Truck these days!

Who's building the best gas 3/4 ton / 1 Ton these days

• Ford

Votes: 51 61.4%
  • Ram

Votes: 15 18.1%
  • Chevy

Votes: 14 16.9%
  • Tacos

Votes: 3 3.6%

• Total voters

Todd n Natalie

OverCamper
I'm almost surprised with all the safety mandates etc.. that LED's wouldn't be mandatory.

Or, at least standard on trucks for what they cost...

Out of curiosity, I built and priced a reg cab long box F150 XL. Only options were 2.7L, 4X4 and tow pkg. (Not max tow) and it was over 50K!!

50K for a basic reg cab long box!!!

robgendreau

Explorer
This question make me chuckle because it, and so many of the responses, are sort of irrelevant this year. And that's because despite the various cool features the manufacturers aren't actually BUILDING many of these trucks. It's vaporware. Ask anyone say still waiting for the Ford truck they ordered last November. ??

Having just sold my Sportsmobile van, and needing a truck, I found it to be an exercise in availability, especially with gassers, and having to make LOTS of compromises. Ford was an utter waste of time, basically even dealers telling me might as well wait for the 2024's. Chevy and Ram were better, at least some on some lots somewhere. As long as you could stomach the Little Mermaid, Truck Nuts, or Mall Crawler packages. In lime green.

On a serious note, I found some trucks were not being built for folks who ordered them not because of some chip shortage, but things like an OEM tonneau cover. Really.

tomtaylz

This question make me chuckle because it, and so many of the responses, are sort of irrelevant this year. And that's because despite the various cool features the manufacturers aren't actually BUILDING many of these trucks. It's vaporware. Ask anyone say still waiting for the Ford truck they ordered last November. ??

Having just sold my Sportsmobile van, and needing a truck, I found it to be an exercise in availability, especially with gassers, and having to make LOTS of compromises. Ford was an utter waste of time, basically even dealers telling me might as well wait for the 2024's. Chevy and Ram were better, at least some on some lots somewhere. As long as you could stomach the Little Mermaid, Truck Nuts, or Mall Crawler packages. In lime green.

On a serious note, I found some trucks were not being built for folks who ordered them not because of some chip shortage, but things like an OEM tonneau cover. Really.
Yep trying to even test drive anything right now is a huge waste of time. I tried driving a 7.3 Ford F250 at a dealer only to be told (after talking to the salesman all day and making an appointment) it was sold and I couldn’t drive it after an hours long drive to the dealer. And everything at the dealership had at least a 10k markup which was gross.

Ram at least I was able to drive but the passenger foot space was challenging, the transmission tunnel takes up so much space be sure to sit in the passenger seat when looking at one unless you’re solo.

robgendreau

Explorer
Yep trying to even test drive anything right now is a huge waste of time. I tried driving a 7.3 Ford F250 at a dealer only to be told (after talking to the salesman all day and making an appointment) it was sold and I couldn’t drive it after an hours long drive. And everything at the dealership had at least a 10k markup which was gross.
When I did finally buy (through the Costco deal) the salesperson showed me the window sticker from the dealer where they got it (they traded something; not uncommon). It had a "dealer markup" at the other dealer, just 15 minutes away, of $5000. No wonder Costco didn't send me there. ?

Ford was the worst. First time I've visited dealers and they ghosted me...you know things are bad when they stop trying to sell you stuff.

thegoldrun

Not sure how Fords are, but check into adding the OEM headlights after the fact, so you dont end up with unwanted options

Not sure about the 23 Super Duty, but on the 22 you can add factory LED headlights after the fact with an aftermarket harness. But, the cost is north of $4k and it’s not exactly like OEM. This is not something I’m interested in doing, but if it was plug-n-play and reasonably priced compared to the $5k package for LEDs on lower trim Super Duty, I would definitely consider it.

I actually do want BLIS on my truck w/ flatbed camper. It’s incredibly handy. Plan is to remove BLIS module from taillight and install on the flatbed tray. I’ve seen some success with this on the 22 model. Hopefully it remains fully functional, if not I will find a way to disable it.

Backup sensors and 360 camera will be relocated to the tray, shouldn’t be any issues there. I should know more soon as the truck is in the shop now for tray and camper install.

And regarding the availability of new trucks, I bought mine out of state (Colorado to Kansas) from a dealer order. Original customer backed out. It came spec’d exactly how I’d order it except maybe I would do carpet delete. Found it on Facebook and never even test drove the 7.3L. Plenty of youtube and forum content to steer my decision. I did not pay a markup, while dealers in Colorado are asking $5k+ over MSRP (if you can find one).

If anyone wants a 23 Super Duty I suggest joining several Facebook groups and be patient. I looked for a few months leading up to and after launch and I found mine easily. Lately I see a few per day in various configurations, at or below MSRP. It’s not that much work to get a deal in writing over email, pickup a cheap one way flight, and drive it home. Or ship it to your house if you desire. Some dealers won’t sell out of state so definitely ask that question first.

You can also browse inventory on ford.com with specific configurations and modify the range in the URL string to 500mi. A handful of zip codes will cover the country. Happy hunting!

Attachments

• IMG_3920.jpeg
    IMG_3920.jpeg
    349 KB · Views: 24
  • IMG_3732.jpeg
    IMG_3732.jpeg
    547.8 KB · Views: 24
  • IMG_3781.jpeg
    IMG_3781.jpeg
    654.2 KB · Views: 24
Last edited:

rruff

Explorer
Canadian. ;)

The SR5 is ~$6k more than the SR though. Currently a Canadian Peso is worth 74 cents. So 55,975 becomes $41,421. The Tundra SR5 is $44,104 in Ca... vs $50,575 in the US... 15% more!

I'm going to guess that there are restrictions against buying trucks in Ca and bringing them to the US... but at any rate, you are getting a hell of a deal. And the Tundra is a bargain compared to the F150.

Todd n Natalie

OverCamper
The SR5 is ~$6k more than the SR though. Currently a Canadian Peso is worth 74 cents. So 55,975 becomes $41,421. The Tundra SR5 is $44,104 in Ca... vs $50,575 in the US... 15% more!

I'm going to guess that there are restrictions against buying trucks in Ca and bringing them to the US... but at any rate, you are getting a hell of a deal. And the Tundra is a bargain compared to the F150.
True. But no SR 4X4 in Canada...

Yes, pretty sure you can't resell into the US.

It's not though. I looked at a '22 Tundra SR5 Crewmax. Actually had a deal on an inbound one in Lunar Rock.
Decided I should at least 'try out' an F150 even though my mind was set on a Tundra.
Canceled the Tundra deal and went F150 the next day.
Drive the two back to back if you haven't already.

Last edited:

RAM5500 CAMPERTHING

OG Portal Member #183
Not sure about the 23 Super Duty, but on the 22 you can add factory LED headlights after the fact with an aftermarket harness. But, the cost is north of $4k and it’s not exactly like OEM. This is not something I’m interested in doing, but if it was plug-n-play and reasonably priced compared to the $5k package for LEDs on lower trim Super Duty, I would definitely consider it.

I actually do want BLIS on my truck w/ flatbed camper. It’s incredibly handy. Plan is to remove BLIS module from taillight and install on the flatbed tray. I’ve seen some success with this on the 22 model. Hopefully it remains fully functional, if not I will find a way to disable it.

Backup sensors and 360 camera will be relocated to the tray, shouldn’t be any issues there. I should know more soon as the truck is in the shop now for tray and camper install.

And regarding the availability of new trucks, I bought mine out of state (Colorado to Kansas) from a dealer order. Original customer backed out. It came spec’d exactly how I’d order it except maybe I would do carpet delete. Found it on Facebook and never even test drove the 7.3L. Plenty of youtube and forum content to steer my decision. I did not pay a markup, while dealers in Colorado are asking $5k+ over MSRP (if you can find one).

If anyone wants a 23 Super Duty I suggest joining several Facebook groups and be patient. I looked for a few months leading up to and after launch and I found mine easily. Lately I see a few per day in various configurations, at or below MSRP. It’s not that much work to get a deal in writing over email, pickup a cheap one way flight, and drive it home. Or ship it to your house if you desire. Some dealers won’t sell out of state so definitely ask that question first.

You can also browse inventory on ford.com with specific configurations and modify the range in the URL string to 500mi. A handful of zip codes will cover the country. Happy hunting!

I know @Victorian just did something with a ford flatbed and some fancy backup system. Maybe he can chime in

corvcycleguy

Bones of the truck, Engine/ Transmission/ Reliabity/ Longevity etc. Just like it says, who is building the best 3/4 ton 1 ton gasser. All of your options listed are available in configurations from all three, so once you narrow down who is building the best longest (potentially) longest lasting combo, each of them have trucks that can be optioned to meet those configurations.

But just for fun

Camper lives on truck full time, daily driver, all 4 seasons use, 20-50K per year, cab configuration is not relevant really just preference. 3/4 ton camper weight 1500-2500 lbs. 1 ton camper weight 2400-4000 lbs. (again dually if camper weight commands it, not relevant really to build of truck) Forest service trails, dirt roads cross country tripping etc.
I'm probably in this same boat, looking for a camper; considering OEV Alpine, Supertramp camper, or total composites Wolverine 6.5. Estimating campers will all be about 1900 lbs or less in total weight when wet.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mitch Bears