Who's buying/building a new bike for the 2010 season?

Cackalak Han

Explorer
My current stable is all single speed, including the wife's bike. But just bought a Vassago Bandersnatch frame and Reba Race to build up a geared bike. Pretty excited about the build. I was trying to decide on nice drive train/mediocre wheelset vs mediocre drive train/nice wheelset. Decided on the latter. Either X7 or SLX drivetrain and Stans Flow or Crest tubeless set up. Can't wait for the build. But there is a little nagging thought at the back of my mind that keeps saying I should've gone with a Jabberwocky SS....

4xdog

Explorer
I just received the bicycle I had built for me by Olivier Czuka and his father, the late Ernest Czuka, at Cycles Alex Singer in Paris. A beautiful mostly-retro (ignoring the Dura-Ace 10s derailleurs) road bike with a 69 cm frame made of Reynolds 531. I guess if you own the Alex Singer shop, you can call Reynolds and they'll make a tubeset for you. A reputation since the 30s is worth something.

It's a beauty to look at, and it rides as well as you'd expect. It will have to share training rides with the 68 cm Waterford.

I still use my 2006 KTM Teramo trekking bike (in 63 cm frame) as my go-to commuter, though. Gotta love those Magura hydraulic brakes!

Don

Cackalak Han

Explorer
69cm frame??!! How tall are you? I saw Mark Eaton riding around in my city and his headtube was longer than my downtube! :D

And you've got to post a picture of that frame.

dustboy

Explorer
Hunter Cycles makes some nifty cargo bikes with 20" wheels to keep the weight low down. Word is they are very stable. Keep in mind most of their frames are a lot more elegant than this one:

2589038034_86a27172d8.jpg

I would love to have a cargo bike to carry my tools and dog. My shop is only a couple miles away over residential streets, I have no excuse to drive most days.

Cackalak Han

Explorer
No, you have zero excuse. Personally, I like the Kona Ute better if you're looking for a cargo bike. Or maybe just a trailer?

Cackalak Han

Explorer
That's cool, too. But referring to that bike and dustboy's, wouldn't it be better if the weight of the cargo is in the back rather than the front? (Mainly for less effort in steering). This is why the Ute makes more sense to me than those bikes mentioned above.

EuroJoe

Adventurer
the nice thing about the yuba is it 400lb payload capacity, i tried a bakfiets for a weekend and as much fun as it was at 3 times the price i skipped it, also madsen cargo bikes are reasonably priced.

Bugspray

Adventurer
Kona Ute

There is a guy here in town with a Ute that I see regularly in the winter with his skis strapped to the back rack and saddle bags fully loaded pedaling without too much fuss in ski boots.

deadbird

Observer
Cycletrucks

The cool thing about the cycletrucks (like the hunter) is that the front platform/basket is mounted to the frame, not the front fork or handlebars. This allows you to haul a ton of weight without affecting the steering. I have an old Worksman cycle truck with a 20" front and a 26" rear wheel.

4xdog

Explorer
Bikes for TALL riders

Yes, Cakalak Han, my 69 cm Alex Singer is a tall bike. Since I'm six foot six (c 200 cm), I don't often find a bicycle on the store shelves that fits me. I'm about 107 cm from top of saddle to downturned pedal.

Here's an image of my 5 year old 68 cm Waterford showing the size of the frame. Waterford made this one with oversized tubing, so its proportions aren't too far off what a bike should look like. I had them build it with polished stainless steel lugs, including BB shell. I've been delighted with it. Thousands of miles under the wheels, and many more ahead of it.
Waterford%20RS-22%2068cm%202008%2004%20small.jpg

The Alex Singer from Spring 2010 looks about the same, but no images of it yet.

Cackalak Han

Explorer
Just traded that Bandersnatch frame (geared) in for a Jabberwocky (Singlespeed specific). Can't wait to build it up!! I've got brakes, cranks, fork, etc. Just need a good wheelset...

photo.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Breezy78