why a po up camper

BigDan

Observer
I have this new project ,

a camper in an 8 foot box 4x4 cummins powered pick up
we plan to go "mild" offroad trails .....I had in mind to convert my Econoline van first but changed my mind ....

being an absolute newby in campers , why should I go for a popup one .....
I understand the lower center of gravity , less grab in the wind ,,,those being the best qualities of popup campers to me .....

but what about noise and humidity ? ( I once had trailer tent that was terrible on humidity )

we plan to use the camper in cold temperature once in a while

looking for advice please ....

thanks

Dan ,

Canufixit

Observer
Well, To me it comes down to a few needs/wants and Desires and limitations......

How much do you have to spend ?? (brandy new RV - or maybe just a tent or used popup)
How much are you going to use it?
How much $$ and time are you willing to spend on repairs AND the necessary add ons needed ? (Bigger Tow Vehicle?, Added hoses, cables, Liquid containers (i.e. grey water, etc.) Firepit grates or in unit propane?
How much will you really really like roughing it and how much rough is roughing it to you ??
Other?

From this you get a lot of considerations. Take my new (used and old) Pop up Truck camper. I already had a 1/2 T truck and wanted to do lots of short trips in New England. I did not want to have to do a lot to "settle in to camp" (Pop the top and done < 5 Min.) I don't have to carry trailer spare parts, wheels, jacks, et. I could pull on the side of the road for lunch, pop the top and make lunch on the stove, get full access to the camper and close up very easily. Low wind drag/resistance/sway. Lighter than a Hard side trailer. Don't have to changing my driving to allow for backing up a trailer, taking corners, etc. I wanted to spend around a $1K for the unit and was willing to do "Some" repairs but not a full / major teardown. For the most part it will jut be me (1) in the camper but could go up to 3 if needed. No Black water to dump. Etc. Etc.

I could have bought a full RV or just a tent - but I balanced my needs, money, time and usage and bought a Skamper pop up truck camper 7 ' )

Does this help ???

jeep-N-montero

Expedition Leader
Well, To me it comes down to a few needs/wants and Desires and limitations......

How much do you have to spend ?? (brandy new RV - or maybe just a tent or used popup)
How much are you going to use it?
How much $$ and time are you willing to spend on repairs AND the necessary add ons needed ? (Bigger Tow Vehicle?, Added hoses, cables, Liquid containers (i.e. grey water, etc.) Firepit grates or in unit propane?
How much will you really really like roughing it and how much rough is roughing it to you ??
Other?

From this you get a lot of considerations. Take my new (used and old) Pop up Truck camper. I already had a 1/2 T truck and wanted to do lots of short trips in New England. I did not want to have to do a lot to "settle in to camp" (Pop the top and done < 5 Min.) I don't have to carry trailer spare parts, wheels, jacks, et. I could pull on the side of the road for lunch, pop the top and make lunch on the stove, get full access to the camper and close up very easily. Low wind drag/resistance/sway. Lighter than a Hard side trailer. Don't have to changing my driving to allow for backing up a trailer, taking corners, etc. I wanted to spend around a $1K for the unit and was willing to do "Some" repairs but not a full / major teardown. For the most part it will jut be me (1) in the camper but could go up to 3 if needed. No Black water to dump. Etc. Etc.

I could have bought a full RV or just a tent - but I balanced my needs, money, time and usage and bought a Skamper pop up truck camper 7 ' )

Does this help ???

Did you read his question, he is not asking about popup trailers, he is comparing a popup camper to a hard sided camper for his truck bed. His reference to the popup trailer was based on a previous experience using one. This is the truck camper section, not trailers.

Canufixit

Observer
Did you read his question, he is not asking about popup trailers, he is comparing a popup camper to a hard sided camper for his truck bed. His reference to the popup trailer was based on a previous experience using one. This is the truck camper section, not trailers.

Yes I did. Perhaps you should re read mine as you are missing the point I was making ....

calicamper

Expedition Leader
High wind locations Ive talked with with people who were glad to be driving with a pop up and they all seemed to have the same response about at camp, a good insulation liner and quality popup mechanism mitigated their concerns.

The condensation issue spans all small spaces, air flow is the only fix. Which case it seems like those with the articpac type interior add on to the popups allong with duel roof vents/fans report better luck than they had in the past without those items.

It seems like everyone ends up happier seaking out the lighter weight rigs or they migratevto the lighter weight camper or end up going full monty and upgrade to a much heavier load capacity truck for their hard side interests. Seems like avoiding the too heavy mistake the first time around would be far easier on the wallet.

brianjwilson

Some sort of lost...
Well let's start with downsides of a pop up camper first.
A quality pop up is usually more expensive than a hard sided camper.
Generally a pop up will have smaller tanks, maybe no fixed toilet, possibly no shower inside.
Most pop ups are not well insulated. Aluminum frames transmit heat/cold. Often the floors are just wood, no insulation.
Moisture is an issue in any small camper. As already stated, air flow is the fix. The first place is see condensation in my four wheel camper is on the ceiling. On the liner than contacts the aluminum frame, and on the aluminum hinges for the lift panels.
Not all soft sides are created equal. Palomino as an example is a joke. Four wheel campers soft sides are pretty solid. With the insulated liner, it is relatively quiet, dark enough to sleep, and reasonably warm.
Some pop ups do not have the room to leave a bed made on the cab over. Often times requiring a slide out anyway, so you will be making a bed every night and morning versus just crawling into bed. The bedding (and cushions) also takes up storage space.
Depending on the lay out, sometimes with the bed made, you can't sit at the dinette, or you can't use the sink, stove, whatever the case.
Some configurations make a large part of the camper inaccessible with the top closed. So a quick roadside stop to make a sandwich or coffee or whatever may be more involved.

On to some of the pros of a pop up.
Since they often have smaller tanks and less storage, weight is usually kept down compared to a hard side.
Center of gravity is lower.
It is easy to have roof racks, and be able to carry kayaks or paddle boards, or a roof top storage box.
Wind drag is reduced. Although in my experience not as much as you would expect. I think there is a bigger difference encountering cross winds, but overall wind drag isn't hugely different assuming similar width.
One of the biggest differences to me is the overall size and feeling of the rig when driving. I usually leave my camper on, jacks removed. Added height is minimal, width is barely effected. Handling is good enough that I don't mind leave the camper on all the time, and it fits in my garage with room to spare. My last hard side camper was miserable to get off the main road. Way too tall, I was pushing tree branches every where, and there were a lot of places I simply had to back up and couldn't fit. This basically defeated the purpose of the whole setup for me. Additionally because of the size and handing, I only loaded the hard sided camper when I was going to use it. It didn't fit in the garage. So I had to pay for storage, it was a pain to pick it up, I left the jacks on when using it, which made it even wider.

All in all it really depends on how you want to use the rig. Like I said I leave my four wheel camper on most of the time. In and out of the garage, out of site. No issues with coffee drive thrus. The additional size doesn't come into play much off road. Only with very low hanging branches and off camber spots with trees. My camper is usually packed with food and snacks, bedding, everything we would need to support the family for several days if needed. It is really convenient for day trips with my daughter, or last minute over nighters. With the hard sided camper, every trip really had to be planned out, pick up the camper, load everything in, pack food in, etc. It was the difference between "hey lets go to the beach for the night" and "do you really want to spend a bunch of time loading and packing the camper, just for one night, then unpacking and unloading again the next day?"

Everything is a compromise.

bat

Explorer
Not all soft sides are created equal. Palomino as an example is a joke

I have to disagree to many miles in Mexico and for the price it is a perfect one to start with instead of spending 15k on a 4wheel.

Last edited:

brianjwilson

Some sort of lost...
I have to disagree to many miles in Mexico and for the price it is a perfect one to start with instead of spending 15k on a 4wheel.

That's your opinion and that is fine, but there is a huge difference among manufactures soft sides. I don't know what climate you live in, but there is a ton of wind and rain where I live. I've stepped inside many palominos (even brand new ones) during a light breeze and the sides were flapping and noisy, even with everything closed I could feel a breeze passing through the campers. There was light coming in several spots where the soft sides meet the hard side. In constant Oregon rain and wind, that means water easily flows in, even if the water has to go up against gravity, it just happens.

I've been in pretty stiff wind in my four wheel camper and it is solid, quiet, and well sealed. The second I close the last Velcro window (or whatever is open), my fantastic fan will audibly struggle and slow down as the sides tense up and no air is coming in. I was very surprised to see how well it seals.

BigDan

Observer
Thanks to all of you ,
Brian ,quite complete answer ! ......

One of my neighbour had a poptop camper ......says that it was usefull when offroading in rough sections ......

he had a hard time to sleep in it when boondocking in walmarts or truck stops ( left top down : noise )

as you said he dint notice that much of wind resistance difference between his hard shell and poptop one .....

I dint know there were some different insulation in the soft portion from one brand to another.....

living in quebec , we have somme quite humid and cold weather ,....

A camper sale center advised me not to buy their Palomino poptop for my intentions ......they sell Northern lite, Lance & Palomino ....

If id go mostly in southern states & state parks or boondock in the wild ,id probably buy a pop top.....But !

calicamper

Expedition Leader
If you plan on using it a bunch for kicks check out the flatbed popups too. They cost more but they have some really nice features and a layout that might grab your interest. Given your location I think researching the types of inner liner options that some of the makers have as an option could play into your decision also.

I do a super basic tent trailer right now, but the simplicity and fast set up and compact size of the popup cab overs pretty much has me 100% going that route in a couple of yrs. A family member went full circle tear drop, tent, shell, big rv trailer, now has his popup cab over and loves it. Said he could have saved him self piles of money had he just done the popup to start with. Ha. He too leaves it on full time, said that it doesn't really affect the truck enough to fool around taking it off. If he needs to haul something he uses a trailer said its been his top favorite set up, quick and easy to just split town, the truck is happy and easily handles the camper etc.

calicamper

Expedition Leader
He does Montana in the winter and likes hitting Yellow Stone late fall. The heater is key and said it works great.

Regcabguy

Oil eater.
I've been in some pretty intense downpours with my 2000 Northstar. I have had to use some canvas patch from Pacific Marine Supply to take care of corner pinholes but no leaks so far.
Lift mechanism continues to work great. Zero condensation under the bed I guess because of the ample storage underneath. Complete made up bed is there to climb into as I've had my fill of sleeping bags. No canvas flap and thanks to this site the 24" Reflectix minimizes heat loss. Stove works and fridge too partially thanks to manual controls(no circuit boards) and one maintenance procedure.
My truck does feel it though.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Breezy78