Why can't I get a Land Cruiser out of my head..?

haddix

Adventurer
I currently own a 2003 dcab tacoma and it has done everything I have asked of it very well. I literally have 0 complaints. For some reason I cannot get land cruiser out of my head. I look/lust over mainly 100 series but also 80 series as a close second. The way these dcab taco as are holding their value I can get into a pretty nice 100 series but like I said I also really love my truck. It is set up pretty nicely(coil overs,dakars, 255/85's, arb front,custom rear bumper, softopper) but I still find myself really wanting a LC. Is the grass greener on the other side or are we all eating out of the same field?
6e34b0aa.jpg

68ba36b7.jpg

Talk me off of the ledge or push me over it..

Flagster

Expedition Leader
I have had a 2005 Tacoma since new...Then last year picked up a 1987 60 series and a 1995 80 series...the 60 is still a project but the 80 is a grocery getter that I use for running around town.
I will probably get scolded but my tacoma is FAR better in every way for what I do...For long road trips the power is not there in the LCs...I love the character of both my LCs and sometimes toy with getting a 100 series since the power would be better for highway cruisin...but I am pretty attached to my tacoma
I fell hard for the LC bug and am not regretful for the purchases I made but if I could only have one...the tacoma is hard to beat...

mph

Expedition Leader
Well, I drive a 99 100 series with some goodies:) Nice car/truck I have ever driven...however, if you are happy with your truck...keep it! IMO

If you have a wife and family...then you will probably love the 100 series! They aren't goin anywhere...wait a few years and get a late 100 series...just a thought...

I absolutly love my 80, but fuel mileage well sucks took a bit for my right calf to get use to the lack of room and power isn't that great. But having said that I have no problem anymore with leg room and the power isn't horrible but is noticable and the fuel mileage still sucks. But I had a choice till recently drive jetta tdi 50mpg (sold), 95 taco (frame rusted heap) or cruiser I always chose the cruiser. I love the way it rides I love the visability I just love it. But honesly if I had a double cab taco like yours I would keep it. I have always wanted a cruiser and for now on I always will, but the grass isn't always greener.

Expedition Leader
... but I still find myself really wanting a LC. Is the grass greener on the other side or are we all eating out of the same field?

I have been driving Toyota 4WD trucks for a long time, and have owned everything from a mini-truck to a Sequoia and everything in between. I currently own three Toyota 4WD trucks (see my sig). There are no bad Toyota 4WD trucks, and in fact IMO there are too many models that overlap and compete for market share with each other. That and the relentless increasing size creep, but that is a different rant. Anyway, with the incredible number of late-model 4WD offerings from Toyota, your choice should be driven by utility and function, i.e. number of doors, amount of inside or outside storage needed, how much weight or how many people you're going to haul, stuff like that. They're all reliable vehicles that will take you anywhere.

Having said that, I am partial to Land Cruisers myself but mostly older ones. I loved the 80-series I used to have (and is still in the family) but nothing has ever put a smile on my face every time I drive it like my FJ40 - but my kids are all grown and I travel light so a two-seater 4WD truck is plenty practical for me. YMMV and that is one reason why there are so many different current models of Toyota 4WD trucks. If you can indulge your itch without ruining your finances, go for it.

fjrohrs

Adventurer
I currently have a 2008 FJC (for sale) and a 1997 LX450. Both are pretty modded and have done everything I've asked them to on the trail.

The FJC with long travel suspension just eats up the bumps at a much higher rate of speed but has a fatter belly when getting more technical. The Tacoma has a longer wheel base (assumed) so you may be familiar with dragging your rig a bit.

The LX is a much more simple design when it comes to suspension and a little bit of money goes a long way. While it doesn't handle the whoops or higher speed runs quite as well, it does feel more plush when the going gets technical. I rarely hit anything underneath including sliders.

Highway manners are subjective but I feel the LX handles very well with OME shocks (might be due to it's increased weight). Power isn't great for acceleration but with 4.88's and 35's it's not really a slouch either if you don't mind using some rpms. Cruise works very well with this combo. The FJC is also a great highway vehicle, comfortable on long trips with the power to get you up a mountain pass. Cruise does not function very well with 33's as Toyota's have a small tolerance for speed changes.

Not quite a comparison of Tacoma to LC but hopefully it adds some color. If you are happy with the 3.4L engine then you'll be fine with the 80's straight six. If you are always wanting more power or a smaller vehicle then don't go with the 80. Not overly huge on the trail it does have a long hood that can be tricky to deal with.

Edit: As you can see I am looking to sell the FJC. There are subtle differences that make one a better fit than another. You currently have 4 doors, a LC will allow the same ingress and egress options as the Tacoma. An 80 has a cargo area the size of a Tacoma bed whereas the FJ has a small cargo hold. I don't believe frames have been an issue on either but have had some problems on Tacomas. Truth be told I love the Tacoma double cab and particularly like your build, but if you are bored with it pick up a new rig or an additional rig and see if it's a replacement. I thought I wanted to have two offroaders and have decided one is best (for now anyway).

Last edited:

RobRed

Explorer
A 100 series has plenty of power and is very comfortable. IT's off road ability is good and reliability legendary. You wont be sorry.

brentbba

Explorer
I love my '94 80 series and would drive it daily...except...the gas mileage SUCKS!!! I have it outfitted just the way I want it and am the original owner. Power is an issue, but that being said, I've towed trailers weighing as much as 4000 lbs up into the local Socal mountains w/o any issues. Mind you, not quickly, but she's taken me everywhere I've ever wanted to go and a couple of places where I thought I would need to clean off the drivers seat if you know what I mean. She's got 221K on her and running strong.

All that being said, your taco is a beautiful truck with much better mileage. You still have 4 doors and plenty of room for 'stuff' too. Tough choice - they are both Toyota's!!

kletzenklueffer

Adventurer
Ths things that I was most surprised about with the 80 are the developments made to make it an "around the world" vehicle. Some are little things, but they all add up to a near bullet proof package. A few examples- the transmission stay in 2nd gear until the engine temp hits a particular range to force the truck to warm up quicker. The transmission (in the 93 at least) has straight cut gears to maximize strength for the low RPM, slower speed driving of offroad. The truck was available elsewhere with factory hand throttle, winch, etc. The factory air cleaner is washable, and the air cleaner box has a sand/dirt trap, not to mention factory snorkel option.

As far as the fuel mileage, well, it could've been better if Americans weren't so spoiled and we'd been satisfied with a diesel. My 80 cost $70/week to operate whereas my 4runner costs $50/week. Same mileage per tank, just 8 gallons more a week.

mtnbike28

Expedition Leader
I have the same "problem" as the OP, I have my 02 DC with 194,000 miles. It has done everything I have asked of it, and gone from the top of Nova Scotia to Fl and tons of camping, even with my trailer, I have slept over 100 nights in the bed. AND I have the chance to buy a $1000 '95 FJ80, it's higher mileage and beat... but still I am drawn to the LC.... at least at that price point the Taco isn't going anywhere!

ChuckB

Expedition Leader
You guys don't have a problem. The "problem" starts when you have an 80/100 and then start looking for a 40/55/60. Ask me how I know... :sombrero:

haddix

Adventurer
Appreciate all the feedback. Not wanting to quote everyone but I'll hit some main points. I'm a 21 y/o college student so no family just a gf and a dog. Getting a 2nd vehicle is unfortunately out of the question at this point in time thus why i would trade my taco for a lc. The Tacoma has plenty of room for me and my stuff so no complaints there. It's usually just me commuting to work or school. I don't haul anything in the bed on a normal basis but its something that's always nice to have I guess. Maybe the cruiser will be over kill?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mitch Bears