Why doesn't anybody make a small truck with a 6.5 foot bed?

rkj__

Adventurer
Drove out to see the sunset last night...looking at my dash compared to the new stuff. Lights, wipers, climate control and a radio...and that is about it. I go sit in the new stuff and think gee-bus I don’t know what most of that stuff does...that is A LOT of buttons! Just a matter of time before we aren’t allowed to drive our own vehicles anyway....

What I worry about is longevity of the infotainment components. My GM truck is only 10 years old, but half the buttons on the stereo have had the backlighting fail. Now, that's fine, I can still select preset # by memory / feel. The buttons still works, they're just not illuminated in the dark. But, on a new truck, if the screen goes black on your infotainment jumbo computer centre, your truck is pretty crippled, unless you pay big $$$ to repair.

plainjaneFJC

Deplorable
The '17 Fords have a rubber sealed plug behind the spare tire. If you hold a pressure washer directly on that plug, it'll corrode and jack up the CAM Buss communication for all kinds of stuff. Radio will start changing channels while the tailgate opens and closes, then you can go into failure mode even.

Generally, it follows the yuppie edition trucks that get driven through car washes too often. None of my vehicles are allowed to go into a car washer that pressure washes the under side. I do that gently myself, at a regular spray and wash.

It's amazing what yuppies can do to mess up a perfectly good ride. Mercedes and BMW's terrible warranty claim rate, is starting to make more sense.
uh oh, mine goes thru a tunnel wash weekly, 20 bucks a month for the works lol.

Clutch

<---Pass
What I worry about is longevity of the infotainment components. My GM truck is only 10 years old, but half the buttons on the stereo have had the backlighting fail. Now, that's fine, I can still select preset # by memory / feel. The buttons still works, they're just not illuminated in the dark. But, on a new truck, if the screen goes black on your infotainment jumbo computer centre, your truck is pretty crippled, unless you pay big $$$ to repair.

That reminds me, I have a bulb out in my HVAC control panel. Pretty simple couple dollar fix.

Tech changes so fast anymore...what are these new vehicles going to be like in 10 years? Do we live in the era of "you better turn it in before the warranty is up?" Wonder for people who always need a new vehicle if it is better just to lease it, so you don't have to deal with expensive out of warranty repairs and just be in perpetual payments.

Me I am trying to get to the point in life where I only need a bicycle to get around. I had to go to the chainsaw dealer to get some parts a couple times for one of my saws, they are just a couple miles up the road, have been riding my bicycle there.

They have been making fun of me..."don't you own a vehicle!?"

Yeah, I own a vehicle...two actually!

"Do they run?"

Yes, they both run and are in great condition.

"Why the bicycle then?"

Hey man, I just like riding my bike...looks like you could use one too...(pointing at his beer belly) *chuckle*

"Shut it!"

Reactions: bkg

phsycle

Adventurer
I have been in some vehicles with the fake leather...seems delicate to me. Well at least to hold up to my abuse. I am usually covered in dirt, mud, sawdust, and concrete dust...

Aren't moto seats vinyl/fake leather? Those seem to hold up to abuse pretty well. My pops has various moto and 4wheelers that are 20-30 years old. All in decent shape, even considering they've been stored in harsh elements.

jgallo1

Adventurer
This is a great thread,
I have owned and sold so many trucks in the last few yrs, I just cant find the right fit. In 15 yrs. I have had 1st, gen taco, 1st gen tundra (got stolen). , Went 90's box single cab f150 , back to a 1st gen taco. then to a 3rd gen taco, T100, now I drive a ram 2500 ctd. I am thinking about going back to 3rd gen taco ha ha.
The 1st gen taco's are great but with a wife and 90lb dog, They are just not doable.
Sold it for the tundra, really loved that truck, then it got stolen.
Went old F150 b/c my dad's neighbor was unloading it for cheap and I love that body style and the simplicity. Did some work to it, bit its really not a great truck for the overland stuff. Much better on the ranch.
Tried the 1st gen taco again this time a dbcb,mostly for the dog. I have always owned the long bed tacos. Thought lets see how this works, well sold it with in 6 months. I knew I could not sleep back there. Really you cant do anything with that bed. This is when the 2016 taco's came out. I went and got one right away. It was a good truck, a few complaints but I never owned a new car. I added a few things and at a gas pump I guy offered me 2k more than I had into it. I figured why not, sold it ha ha. I bought a T100, great truck , I go between Montana and CA and it can be tough on the passes. I have the diesel for long drives and the hauling, but it will get stuck in wet grass. love the cummins but I had dealing with RAM & Dodge. I would like to go back to one truck.
For my needs, camping , hunting, hauling stuff around my farm, long hwy drives, etc.The taco long bed works, Sure I wish it was a little wider, I wish it alittle more headroom I am 6'1. Stock trd offroad, in Montana is 34k. Comes with some nice bells and whistles that I will never use, and a locking diff. I went and priced the same options on the F150 supercab ( which is there version of an access cab) and the truck was in 40's. I am always joking with my buddies that we should just start building our own trucks. I bet we could corner the overland market.

Clutch

<---Pass
Aren't moto seats vinyl/fake leather? Those seem to hold up to abuse pretty well. My pops has various moto and 4wheelers that are 20-30 years old. All in decent shape, even considering they've been stored in harsh elements.

Seem a lot tougher than what is in vehicles though. The material they use for gripper seats is pretty dang tough.

After some years...vehicle seats look like this. The "leather" or whatever it is is fairly thin...now maybe if it was thick like on a motorcycle jacket it would be better, but it seems like the vehicle leather is crap. I have a 20 year old riding leather jacket that has been used and a abuse...and still looks good.

torn-seat-cover-759x500.jpg

Last edited:

Clutch

<---Pass
I am always joking with my buddies that we should just start building our own trucks. I bet we could corner the overland market.

ICON is pretty much building what I want...but at a $200K+ price tag...kinda defeats the purpose of having a cheap utilitarian truck that you can go beat on.

Man, that new derelict Bronco they just finished is right up my alley...(though the rims are too big for my liking, kinda makes it look out of proportion, imo) chassis should of been powder coated to look a bit rusty like what Proffitt's did their rest-mod FJ40.

Now I just need to win the lotto, so I can build my '67-72 F250 Crew Cab with an Alaskan version of it, and I would be pretty smug! :D

https://www.autoblog.com/2018/07/19/1966-ford-bronco-icon-derelict-restomod/

1966-ford-bronco-icon-derelict-004-1.jpg

DSC_9661-min-.jpg

Last edited:

bkg

Explorer
ICON is pretty much building what I want...

And here I gave you an entire thread to talk about this and you neglected it. :p

I don't know what the material is that Toyota is using in the Gen5 4Runner SR5 Premium... but I like it better than leather.

D

Deleted member 9101

It seems to me that if some manufacturer bumped their light-truck longboxes up by half a foot, they would dominate the market, as it would be the deciding factor for all of us in the 5'11+ range.

Anybody have any thoughts on this? Am I crazy?

Considering less than 1% of truck owners sleep in the bed of their trucks... it's not worth a manufactures time or effort to market towards that demographic.

DaveInDenver

Middle Income Semi-Redneck
Considering less than 1% of truck owners sleep in the bed of their trucks... it's not worth a manufactures time or effort to market towards that demographic.
Maybe that's true, I dunno. Still seems marketing departments target campers and camping as a major selling point for trucks, though. Perhaps it's being able to accommodate slide-in campers is what they're after.

D

Deleted member 9101

They do, but their NA trucks don't see much of it. (or do they?) The big three isn't all that innovating if you think about it. Turbo gassers, 1/2 ton diesel and 10 speed transmissions, are really the only things. Not much else is ground breaking. Suspension systems have been the same for decades. Sure Ram has coil rear, but Chevy did that back in the 60's. They all pretty much have the same safety and nav systems. They lag a little behind on the mpg department, but think that is only because you can't get any other diff gear ratios.

I have a 17 F150 Super Crew with the 2.7 Ecoboost. The truck rides like a car, handles great, pulls a trailer effortlessly, and gets 24-25mpg on the HW doing 70.... nothing ground breaking about that at all...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior