Why don’t more people take the WK2 overlanding?

2180miles

Endurance Adventuring
Which brings me to my question, as great as the vehicle seems on paper, why aren’t more people using these things like they are 4Runners? Is there some reliability or capability issue I’m overlooking? Are they too pretty or expensive to be spending 2 weeks in the back country with?

Hey there!

Smiled seeing my WK2 build thread already listed up there, but I thought I'd chime in with a little additional info.

A) Yeah, it's an expensive and pretty rig. MSRP on mine was $52 I think... Not that much more than a JKUR, but a whole other level of comfort for the days I'm not on a trail. I'm perfectly happy with my TJ as a trail rig (climbing rock ledges, crossing 3-4' deep rivers, etc) and the WK2 for the rest of my wooded adventure.

B) My girlfriend and I spent a month overlanding in the Trailhawk this summer, covering just about 7,000 miles of pavement, gravel, backcountry dirt trails, rocks, and river crossings. We had our 35L Dometic fridge, 3 Pelicans (2x 1610 and a 1620) a dry foods bag, 2 camp chairs, 60 and 40L backpacks, and her duffle bag of clothes. It was absolutely tight inside, but we happily got through our trip across Canada and back through multiple climate zones/elevations without issue. The Jeep performed flawlessly both on and off road, and did surprisingly well in a 20" quick-moving river crossing where a bridge had washed out in Ontario's backcountry.

C) I've done quite a bit of first-hand research into removing trim panels to add lighting, switches, relay control boxes, etc, redesigning a rear mounting system for the fridge and Pelican harnessing, as well as testing the first Chief Products winch mount on a 2017 model WK2 in the world. That one made my palms sweat :) All of this is detailed in my build thread , but the point is that there are ways to get these things ready for the trails if you're willing to put the time and effort into being some of the first people to explore a relatively unmodified platform.

I think they're less used than the 4R because of storage space, and the fact that it's not a Toyota. Sure, there are plenty of WK and WJ Grand Cherokees but those have had another decade of aftermarket support over the WK2, and the Jeep name is world renowned, but I'd argue it's more for the Wrangler platforms and the XJ, if we're being inclusive.

If you're bored, here's my thread on the Ontario Backcountry trip, and here's my Trans-Canada Overland thread.

I bought the thing knowing what I wanted to do with it, and drove it off the lot and directly to a Class-6 forest road up in New Hampshire. It was crossing rivers and climbing rock faces before the odometer rolled to double digits, and I wouldn't have it any other way. Averaged 23.4 MPG on a 7,000 mile trip as a self-contained overland vehicle that's been built to be capable of self-recovery, wired to have appropriate task, auxiliary, and safety lighting, and I've put a lot of effort into retaining an OEM+ appearance that I might even argue is still sexy.

Happy to answer any questions with the WK2 mods, if you ever come across any. And I'll show off a few pictures, cause I'm kinda proud of it. :ylsmoke:

Best,

Ryan

Chief Products/Warn Install Teaser by 2180miles

Black Oak 30" Single Row by 2180miles,

Rigid SRM Flush-Mount by 2180miles

WK2 Tailgate Layout Side by 2180miles
(This was painted with a rough bedliner enamel before the trip)

Trailhawk Rear by 2180miles

Smith-Dorrien Trail - WK2 by 2180miles

FJOE

Regular Dude
Hey there!

Smiled seeing my WK2 build thread already listed up there, but I thought I'd chime in with a little additional info...

OWNED.

I have a 2015, and because when I land in the states I have to immediately drive 10-13hrs just to get to my woods, it can't be beat. Plus the utility coupled with the comfort and ergonomics is far superior to what I consider the boxy interior of the JK's (family has two, and I have driven them frequently). Obviously to each his own, but knowing that I can crawl a Corolla with a couple friends and the right lines/a good guide, I feel fine in my WK2.

echo7tango

Road tripping, overlanding
My WK2 is a 2016. Diesel. And I love it.

The WK2 is a great highway car -- a quiet, comfortable, and luxurious ride that cruises effortlessly at 90+ MPH. It gets good gas mileage. For its 25-gallon tank I regularly get 550 miles in mixed city/highway driving (approx 23 MPG). On the highway I get 600-650 miles on a tank (approx 25 MPG). The most I ever got on a tankful was 835 miles (approx 34 MPG), but there I was being very feather-light on the go pedal to see how far I could go.

The torque of the diesel engine gives it good acceleration, and good towing ability.

On the trail the WK2 is pretty capable. The rear ELSD helps. And the QL air suspension (QuadraLift) is handy for on the fly extra clearance, and for lowering it for easier entry/exit.

Charles R is right on, back in post #7. For overlanding, do you need more than that? 95-98% of my miles are on the highway or paved roads. If not more. For the 2-5% of my miles on the trail, the WK2 performs admirably.

Why don’t more people take the WK2 overlanding? Good question. To me, it's the perfect all-around rig for overlanding. I'll be out there in mine.

echo7tango

Road tripping, overlanding
Some recent exploring we've done in our diesel WK2... We haven't yet gone on an overlanding journey, but we plan to. Just some local exploring and local trails for now.

1) The first picture is from about 10 miles NE of Bodie CA ghost town in the Sierras, where the road crosses the NV state line.
2) North of the Grand Canyon and just west of Marble Canyon and the Colorado River. Not far off the road, but I liked these big rocks.
3 - 7) At Hollister Hills CA SVRA, with a 4WD club, on two of the obstacles, Frame Twister and Stair Stepper. My wife is in the black t-shirt walking up to me.
8 - 9) On the north side of Mono Lake CA, coming from Bodie, this structure is at Lat/Long (38.142588, -118.953534) and can be seen on the map. Zoom in: https://goo.gl/fiQb2E.

​The WK2 has done what we've asked of her. And she cruises effortlessly and comfortably on the roads at 90+ MPH, if need be, too.

Attachments

• IMG_0393.jpg
    IMG_0393.jpg
    580.4 KB · Views: 42
  • IMG_0396.JPG
    IMG_0396.JPG
    99.1 KB · Views: 44
  • IMG_0400.jpg
    IMG_0400.jpg
    565.6 KB · Views: 42
  • IMG_0401.JPG
    IMG_0401.JPG
    111.3 KB · Views: 40
  • IMG_0397.jpg
    IMG_0397.jpg
    553.4 KB · Views: 44
  • IMG_0398.JPG
    IMG_0398.JPG
    118.7 KB · Views: 42
  • IMG_0399.JPG
    IMG_0399.JPG
    83.8 KB · Views: 42
  • IMG_0394.jpg
    IMG_0394.jpg
    549.8 KB · Views: 42
  • IMG_0395.JPG
    IMG_0395.JPG
    138.2 KB · Views: 40

MOguy

Explorer
If the terrain your tackling is no more difficult then the pics Echo posted above then many SUVs would be fine.

I have had a Grand and a 4Runner (both 4wd but stock) and most terrain either would be fine.

I have been reading this post for a while and I guess what it comes down to for me is I always think of the Wrangler as my Jeep that I will keep for ever. Ever other vehicle is just another car.

I always think of it as my Jeep and my other vehicles as just a the car, truck or mommies car. I think many grow special attachments certain vehicles and Wranglers are one of those vehicles, Grand Cherokees just aren't.

Wranglers are just a special kind of cool. They off road great but not lack in most other areas but they are still special.

When it comes to off-road not many will question the ability of the Wrangler. When it comes to comfort with some ability to off road there a more options and the Grand is a good one.

Last edited:

MOguy

Explorer
We rented a new 4Runner for a few days...for testing and unless you subscribe to Toyota like a church, and believe you don't deserve good things in this world... you would never choose this...

The four runner and the Jeep Grand Cherokee are the same price (comparably equipped) and the Toyota is a like a lesson in austerity... designed in the 90's and hasn't changed... outdated, and sparse and lacking comfort, like maybe a seat big enough for an adult who wants under leg support...a remote control rear hatch... a transmission that will help the anemic engine get into its power band quickly (ok, there is no power band), electronics in this century, truth is, I can't figure out what the heck you are paying this much money for... now maybe if it was $27k instead of $43k (limited, only one with AWD) I could understand the trade off, but it is not... but there is a culture in the Toyota world that reminds me of the same attitude people who are “apple” people have... the willingness to pay more for less, because they believe.....

We will be buying a GC overland soon, it is the only everyday driver, luxury and capability vehicle out there, that can do what it does...

The Toyota 4Runner is more like a truck. The Grand Cherokee is more of a crossover. It is more off road or trucks than most other crossovers, When we bought our Acadia because we wanted the comfort and all the bells and whistles so we went with the Denali. We looked at the Grand and all the other crossovers out there. The Grand is similar in luxury and far far far more capable off road buy allot then the Acadia but even then I would not consider it for anything other than mild off-roading and only as a temporary vehicle.

I live out there. Our roads are mostly dirty and normal driving can beat on a car. Larger rims and tires with shorter side walls suck, they suck really bad. All the electronics and amenities can fail if beaten enough. The wonderful traction systems have more of a limited life and are great on slick snow covered roads but not so wonderful off road Many of Cross Overs (such as the grand) are wonderful and will take care of you but after years of vibrating down ruff roads my bet is on the 4Runner.

I am not trying to beat down the Grand or other crossovers but they are in a different class (not better or worse just different) than a 4Runner.

My 4Runner had head issues at about 170K. It was the first years of a new engine and I should have known better than to buy it. I am not Toyota fan boy but I feel the design of the 4Runner more appropriate for this type af activity than the crossover. This is especially true if you are looking to keep you vehicle for and extended period of time.

Last edited:

MOguy

Explorer
Good point about longevity, perhaps the wrangler and four runner may stand the abuses of time better than the GC.. I guess time will tell.. ha... and the truck platforms are certainly better for “extreme”. Offroad... and not just the long dirt, wash boarded, snow, ice, slush, gravel, mud roads I travel everyday.

Agreed on big wheels, 18”is the very max I can go without popping tires weekly... been there done that with a GC srt8...traded it for a Yukon xl Denali and bought 17”wheels with bfg k02.... the srt8 calipers don't allow for smaller rims... no problems in 4years since going High speeds on gravel..

I still can't help but see that the four runner is overpriced for what you get... but hey, and f150 can be pricey these days, so they are not alone in their overpriced vehicles... and if people keep paying, why should they update anything...

But for goodness sake, update that engine and transmission..., maybe you won't notice the engine with a better tranny....imho

The 4Runner is definitely no trend setter and they are all over priced. The V6 4.0 is a good motor, mine was a 2004 (second year with the 4.0) and there were head issues that year that have since been resolved. MPG wasn't too bad either. Our Denali was about 50k new we bought used for half the price. In my area I can buy a home for 50K.

I have a 1979 K30 and an 2001 Wrangler. I like older vehicles. I want an old bug or 240Z for a commuter car. The wife and kid have newer vehicles. My vehicles don't even have electric windows or auto transmissions. The truck doesn't even have a radio or cigarette lighter.

Last edited:

MOguy

Explorer
No cigarette lighter? That is unacceptable!!!

I like old ones too...79 F250 is my farm truck... 2001 f250 is my plow and fire truck... and for the record, cigarette lighters work in both,,, and I don't smoke.. ha, a lot of fords around here... easy to pickup for cheap...

Agreed, all new vehicles are crazy expensive....

Here is an pic of my 79 and behind it you can see my bro-in-law's Ford. If you look close enough you can see the strap I used to tow him home.

IMG_20171016_164552363_HDR.jpg

MOguy

Explorer
No cigarette lighter? That is unacceptable!!!

I like old ones too...79 F250 is my farm truck... 2001 f250 is my plow and fire truck... and for the record, cigarette lighters work in both,,, and I don't smoke.. ha, a lot of fords around here... easy to pickup for cheap...

Agreed, all new vehicles are crazy expensive....

Here is an pic of my 79 and behind it you can see my bro-in-law's Ford. If you look close enough you can see the strap I used to tow him home. I am in it for maybe $1500

View attachment 425377

Attachments

• IMG_20171016_164552363_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20171016_164552363_HDR.jpg
    559.9 KB · Views: 32

MOguy

Explorer
That sounds pretty expensive for tow strap...;)

Good catch. I usually try to be more careful than that when I write.

My dad was an English teacher and he was always on me.

One his favorite was. "The man went over the hill with the ball." he would then say it was wrong because hills don't have balls.

Se7en62

Adventure Seeker
They're around, but few and far between off-road. Those posted here look great and to add another: Here is my buddy's WK2 Overland. Both of these Jeeps have also completed the 675-mile Colorado Backroad Discovery Route (www.ridebdr.com) in August and September of this year. These pictures below are from a recent trip to explore 22 miles of East Matagorda Barrier Island on the Texas coast. The WK2 has a Snomaster 45qt in the back as well as a Warn mounted to a hidden winch plate and some low-key lighting and functional navigation elements.

23511454_517833921911555_7019055741219084178_o.jpg

23456514_517836205244660_1090453816434895853_o.jpg

23509473_517838891911058_2252790466143280574_o.jpg

23509341_517877571907190_7768712316697499170_o.jpg

The Russian's also seem to like them:

Last edited:

Terex

Adventurer
We've really like our JGC Overland Diesel. Best upgrade was BFG KO2 light truck steel belted tires.

Jeepinaaron

Adventurer
I current have a 2003 Jeep WJ, a 1999 Jeep TJ, and a 2012 Jeep WK2. I have also had in the past a 2004 Liberty, 2000 Cherokee, and 2006 Jeep LJ.

I would not recommend anyone purchase a WK2 for Overlanding. The combined IFS and IRS gives the Jeep dismal suspension flex and off-road performance. I have seen the WK's do well with the solid rear axles, but my WK2 has gotten hung up on my uphill gravel driveway. The WK2 is a fantastic daily driver and has served my wife well in that regard, but when it comes to anything 4WD of "Overlanding", the WK2 stays parked at home.

I love my 2003 WJ as our Overlander. I've taken it all over the country and she has never let me down or left me stranded.

YMMV, and everyone is entitled to their opinions.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Breezy78