Why I Bought a Ford F250 Tremor for a Four Wheel Campers Hawk UTE

eyemgh

Yes and no, it just depends on your needs/desires and where and how you plan to utilize the truck. I've always enjoyed the look of the full wrap bumper, on some vehicles more than others. I appreciate the added protection to the grille and radiator that a full wrap provides and they usually offer opportunities to mount antennas and larger driving lights as well. The drawback to a full wrap is 1) the added weight, 2) the decreased approach angle (95% of the time), 3) the possibility of decreased air flow and 4) a lot of times they can detract from the looks of a vehicle. Looks are subjective and form should follow function but sometimes one can't deny that some things simply don't look good.

When I had my PW I looked into aftermarket bumpers that allowed for the use of the factory winch, luckily I sold it before I forced myself to make a decision in that department. If it were me, I'd rock the factory bumper and hidden winch until I felt the need for upgraditis or once you've damaged the stock one.

All great points, and the reasons I ordered a factory winch in the first place. The biggest reason for wanting a full wrap, like an Expedition One for example, it driveability after an animal strike, especially if remote.

hour

Observer
Does anyone make a bumper that adapts the stock winch as a pass through like some do for the PW?

If I stumble upon it again I'll post, but someone on the Tremor forum or fartbook group posted his bumper that does this, I believe stating it's the final prototype (and also his fab company). All useless without a link, I know, but if there aren't already some available, something is on the way.. and I'd wager more in coming years.

Tex68w

Beach Bum
Expedition One makes great products, I have run some of their stuff in the past and I would likely buy their 2019+ RAM HD front bumper if it weren't setup for the OEM horizontal fogs that I don't have nor want and the 12,500lb max winch capacity was a deterrent as well. They have a 5-6 month wait time (it's longer than what they have currently listed) and aren't known for the best powder coat or customer service so keep that in mind. That said, they have some of the best designs in the industry.

RAM5500 CAMPERTHING

OG Portal Member #183
Expedition One makes great products, I have run some of their stuff in the past and I would likely buy their 2019+ RAM HD front bumper if it weren't setup for the OEM horizontal fogs that I don't have nor want and the 12,500lb max winch capacity was a deterrent as well. They have a 5-6 month wait time (it's longer than what they have currently listed) and aren't known for the best powder coat or customer service so keep that in mind.

Correct, my Expedition One bumper on my Tundra went from black to gray in about 6 months and their customer service was basically non existent

RAM5500 CAMPERTHING

OG Portal Member #183
Yes, to get their amazing LED's you have to fit certain packages to a Lariat or higher trim, it's silly. What's sad is how many King Ranch and Platinums I see on dealer lots as stock inventory that sticker for $72K+ and they still have the crappy halogen headlights, that's a huge oversight by whoever orders the trucks for the lot.

A lot of comments about the headlights, so i will chime in...

Has anyone looked into adding the LED headlights after the fact to one of the trim levels that comes with the halogens?

On the 2019+ Rams its basically a bolt/plug in. Just need to have the ECU flashed to reconize them, and whammo, you get the premium headlights without needing extra trim level.

When i changed my LED headlights to the ones with black backgrounds, i sold my stock ones to a dude with the base model tradesman with halogens, he had them installed and running in less than an hour and its night and day better all around

This is a super popular and easy upgrade on the Ram forums. I am guessing the Ford is at least similar

Tex68w

Beach Bum
A lot of comments about the headlights, so i will chime in...

Has anyone looked into adding the LED headlights after the fact to one of the trim levels that comes with the halogens?

On the 2019+ Rams its basically a bolt/plug in. Just needed to have the ECU flashed to reconize them, and whammo, you get the premium headlights without needing extra trim level.

This is a super popular and easy upgrade on the Ram forums. I am guessing the Ford is at least similar

I did this on my 2021 RAM, I added OEM black edition LED units. If you want to go to the quad LED units that move with the steering you need aftermarket custom harnesses as well and both LED units require changes to the BCM with AlfaOBD. It's possible someone offers something similar for the Fords with the use of ForScan but I never looked into it as I bought the truck with the LED's on purpose and would do so again if I find myself back in a Super Duty in the future. The Super Duty OEM LED headlights are some of the brightest factory headlights on the market, they are extremely good and worth every penny.

billiebob

The cost of adding limited slip / lockers front and rear is at least as much as the Tremor Package, so you got the rest, plus the sticker for free.

Tex68w

Beach Bum
AFN does, but there’s no grill protection, so to a degree, it defeats the purpose.

Check with Chassis Unlimited, they make their bumpers work with the factory PW winch, I am willing to bet they can do something similar with the Tremor winch as well.

eyemgh

The cost of adding limited slip / lockers front and rear is at least as much as the Tremor Package, so you got the rest, plus the sticker for free.

$390 for the 4.30 upgrade Tremor comes with. Dana front and rear with front LSD and rear e-locker. I added it to my non-Tremor XLT.

Last edited:

hour

Observer

Yeah I've read of people doing that on the tremor forum. Probably several more people on the major ford forums that aren't tremor specific. Harness and then a couple grand for the lights IIRC.

Seems like they stomp aftermarkets, including Morimotos (which I always thought were king). Many have attested to this since people that bought less than their perfect trucks have upgraded after just 1-3 years of ownership. Either balling out of control or can't resist the stupid cash dealers are willing to pay. I know a flashlight duct taped to the hood would be better than Ford halogens but I'd probably be happy with Anzos and top tier LED bulbs for $550 like I did with my F150. Then again, I've never understood spending $2k on baja designs products.

tacollie

Glamper
You can swap superdutys to OE Leds is $3000+ if you do it yourself. Everybody complains about the stock halogens but I've been pleasantly surprised by mine. Maybe the PO upgrades the bulbs. I've been tempered by the Morimoto hybrids but not enough to fork over the money at this point.

If you're buying a higher trim crew cab truck the Tremor is a good option. I wouldn't upgrade the trim just to get the Tremor. You can get an XLT with 4.30s and e locker for a lot less.

Explorerinil

Observer
$390 for the 4.30 upgrade Tremor comes with. Dana front and rear with front LSD and rear e-locker. I added it to my non-Tremor XLT.
You can’t get a front limited slip on a non tremor truck. You can get a rear locker and 4:30 gears, if you get an fx4 package you’ll be close because of skid plates… minus the side steps, lift, 35 inch tires, off road drive modes and extended breather tubes.

Explorerinil

Observer
You can swap superdutys to OE Leds is $3000+ if you do it yourself. Everybody complains about the stock halogens but I've been pleasantly surprised by mine. Maybe the PO upgrades the bulbs. I've been tempered by the Morimoto hybrids but not enough to fork over the money at this point.

If you're buying a higher trim crew cab truck the Tremor is a good option. I wouldn't upgrade the trim just to get the Tremor. You can get an XLT with 4.30s and e locker for a lot less.
Yes, headlights, a harness and some time on forscan.

eyemgh

You can’t get a front limited slip on a non tremor truck. You can get a rear locker and 4:30 gears, if you get an fx4 package you’ll be close because of skid plates… minus the side steps, lift, 35 inch tires, off road drive modes and extended breather tubes.

I can't seem to figure out how to access my build sheet, but I'm almost certain my non-Tremor has a Dana LSD. @montypower has a very similar truck. He'd know for sure because he replaced his with an Ox locker.

Explorerinil

Observer
I can't seem to figure out how to access my build sheet, but I'm almost certain my non-Tremor has a Dana LSD. @montypower has a very similar truck. He'd know for sure because he replaced his with an Ox locker.
Your front axle is a Dana 60 with an open carrier, ford only options the limited slip front on the tremor and open carrier on others.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Breezy78