Why is Dodge more popular than Ford/GM? (Not a bash post)

I'm looking here and in some other places and seeing a lot more Late model Dodge/Ram 2500/3500 than Ford or GM counterparts. Why is that?

I'm looking at building a traveler rig, something that I can drive cross country, wheel hard (rock crawling moreso than mud) and be a solid DD if the need arises. In looking here, Rams seem to edge out Ford's slightly, and GM after that. In places like FullSize Invasion, it's almost 6:1 ram over the Ford, and few GMs (late model, the old square bodies still beat out all). I get that's more crawling than overland type off roading, so the concensus maybe different.

As far as options, between ram and Ford (for what I want GM isn't in the running, looking for the solid axle and not swapping) they can be optioned very closely. Aftermarket support is solid for both, maybe ram a little more for suspension options. I know the axles out of the ford are used more in rock crawling, so I would assume Ford axles are stronger (but have not seen a direct comparison to stand by that statement, it may just be aftermarket support more than anything else). For a crew cab configuration, which I am looking for, both have plenty of room and storage, and still a decent bed for the home Depot tripsand other gear.

I am not brand loyal, work in automotive and understand all brands have their goods and bads. My requirements are overall reliability, strength (for reliability off road), and comfort for those days it sees DD Duty, or for the trips. Gas engine, I don't require a diesel, and towing if that comes a modern gasser does well.

This is a research post, not a bash post. I'm not hating on any truck. Really just curious if there is something I'm missing on one vs the other. I know they are all good trucks.

tomtaylz

I think RAM did a really good refresh a few years ago which really brought them ahead of the competition and ford is only just catching up. Also it’s been super hard to buy a ford the last two years, RAM is still churning out vehicles you can buy.

BretEdge

Adventurer
I'm a Ford fan although I do love the looks of the Ram HD trucks. Anyway, it hasn't been mentioned but it seems to me (I could be wrong) that there is more aftermarket support for the Ram platform. That, and AEV has done an extraordinary job of marketing their upgrade packages to the Ram market, and that increased visibility may have something to do with Ram trucks being viewed as more "adventure ready". Also, until very recently, the Power Wagon was the only HD truck on the market that came from the factory with real offroad chops, i.e. lockers, winch, disconnecting sway bar, small lift, etc. Now that Ford has the Tremor package and GM has the AT4 and whatever Chevy calls their version, there are more options.

Just my 2 cents and I could be totally off base.

IdaSHO

IDACAMPER
Yep, Dodge/Ram has been cheaper for many, many years. Thats not to say they havnt upped their game recently though, as they really have. Their interiors are incredible.

Still, the way I see it is simple…. if you want the simplicity of solid axles front and rear and leafs out back, both Ram and Chevy are out.

They are all great trucks these days, and truthfully if I HAD to go diesel again Id go Chevy. But I dont, so Ill stick with my simple and robust gasser Ford. ?

jmodz

I think the power wagon is one of the primary reasons. It showed what was possible in terms of capability of HD trucks off road. The coils on the 2500 also give the sense of better on road manners. IMO it always seemed it was an even split between Ford and Ram. The GM trucks don’t seem like a great option due to their IFS.

BikePilot

I think you don't see GMs due to the IFS suspension and inability to easily fit big tires. Between Ford and Ram I think it's a close call. For diesels I prefer the Ram as I have more confidence in the Cummins, and it's much easier to work on should it need something.

Kingsize24

I can't answer for anyone but myself. But my entire reason was frame strength, axles and axle strength, and simplicity. Rams computer and wiring sub-systems are just dead nuts simple. The wiring on the tradesmen model I ordered was very minimal as well, except where I wanted it. Dual alternator, commercial packaging, etc. And they still included a manual transmission and a manual transfer case. To me, I want everything as reliable as possible. A vehicle laden with electronics will generally have more problems. It's also MUCH easier to work in a Ram engine bay vs Ford or GM. I think those translate to alot of why you see them in the overlanding community. But again, I can only answer for me.

RAM5500 CAMPERTHING

OG Portal Member #183
The question wasn't who sold more, because fleet sales would push Ford above anyone else

THIS!!!

THIS Is a huge part of the misleading claim of "#1 selling truck X years in a row, bla bla bla"

Yeah, because municipalities all over the US buy them by the dozens, if not hundreds.

I've LOVE to see a Ford sales report split vs Fleet and Consumer....

Last edited:

RAM5500 CAMPERTHING

OG Portal Member #183
I feel like the Rams are quiter.

Absolutely 110% true!

When searching for my platform, i drove the F550 and 5500 in the same day.

Ram was CONSIDERABLY quieter inside, and the seats were MUCH better quality, and more comfortable.

To answer OP original question, i think its somewhat region specific.

I go to Canada/Alaska every year for a month. FORDs outnumber everything else up there easily 10:1. Why? No idea, maybe dealer network?

Yet, here in SoCal, id say its a pretty dang even split between the 3

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vertical.dan