Why isn't anybody but Aluminess making a side ladder?

Mat Mobile

Adventurer
Weldtec designs also makes a ladder. But it was over the $400 you stated that's why I didn't mention it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JBoles

How much is Opt Overland's ladder? It looks slick with the hinged upper and pullout bottom piece. They are in Ft Collins CO.

Bbasso

Expedition Leader
I scamper up my spare and onto my high top... it gets old fast. It gets near impossible with my bike or motorcycle rack. Im working on a design that uses CNC side plates with 8020 for the rungs. Im picturing a line of accessories that utilize the 8020 as well, a table that locks on, shower mount etc

Please continue with R&D!

Bikersmurf

Expedition Leader
Years back I picked up a new NAPA 110v stick welder on eBay for about $50 usd. It would do a job like this wonderfully.

Add to that a $30 angle grinder, $20 for some ultra-thin discs and a flap wheel. I'd also use a drill and drill bit... $50 if you don't already have one. $100 for some rod, box steel, and paint.

It'd make a fun straightforward weekend project. Cut some wedges from the box steel and bend them to contour to the side. Drill round holes in the verticals for rod for the crossbars. Tack it together, Test fit and weld it up.

Does $400 usd seem way out of my price range... yes. But not unreasonable for the work involved. For comparison sake, a custom auto fabricator made and welded on disc brake mounts on my other truck... took a days work... about $550 usd. Custom stuff that's well made is expensive.

$400 for the aluminess stuff is a bargain.

i assume its all tig welded aluminum, and, unless theyre using a spool gun, tig is slow and methodical, its no mig welder. its also aluminum, so about $3.00/lb in tubing form, plus benders, dies, tubing notcher, etc.

could you make a ladder for less, of course, could i, absolutely, but steel isn't aluminum, and if i bought all the materials, and decided to build a ladder instead of a days pay, it would cost me well over the $400 price tag. and i have all the mill, lathe, tig, mig, bender, bandsaw, chop saw etc at my disposal already.

Accrete

Explorer
$400 for the aluminess stuff is a bargain. ...

A note on Aluminess "Bargans" ;)

My wife wanted an easy swing-from-somewhere-to-under-awning kitchen setup.
Several calls an a few weeks later we had a kitchen box.
It was "only" ~$7K installed~

AccreteAWDgalleyBoxOpen-e1462326358163.jpg

Thom

PS. It was mostly my _fault_ though. In my semi-OCD things gotta be symmetrical - i just _had_ to have matching front bumpers too.

Last edited:

86scotty

Cynic
Tyson, start here:

This dude is amazing and one of the few on Youtube who can speak, film a video and teach!

https://www.youtube.com/user/weldingtipsandtricks

I have an extend-a-whateveritis ladder. It's awesome, but not for climbing up the outside of a van. It will walk and slide out from under you on smooth concrete if your not careful. And how does one be careful removing a raft, bag chair, etc. from the top of an offroad van? I liked mine for getting up in the CCV penthouse when I had it.
An mounted outdoor ladder is great for so much. Clothes hanger, ladder, grill hanger, anything hanger/dryer.

And they make you look all cool and overlandy.

That guy has a ton of videos! Will watch some later today as I continue to convalesce.

Shea, yes I would love to update my build thread but I can't sit and type for more than 10 minutes at a time. I need to be either be flat on my back or walking around the for the next two to three weeks. I can't type in either of those positions very well.

I have always wanted to learn to weld and now I have the opportunity. I have several more simple projects lined up to begin on before a ladder. I've got lots of scrap metal to make an "ugly lawn ornament" with. I guess it's taken me this long to get around to learning welding because I didn't buy an expensive enough house to start out with.

Yes, cool and overlandy looking. That right there is worth at least $400. Lest anybody out there think I'm a cheapskate or don't support this community, I have made large payments to MG, Ujoint and a local performance shop (Throttle Works) for welding (since I can't yet). Part of that was the Aluminess spare tire carrier. I did 70% of the conversion by myself thusfar in my driveway. The other 30% I either paid for or had great folks in the local community help me (Shea and brian94ht). So yeah, I own a grinder. A good one. There's a couple more tools rattling around in my garage as well. I even know the names of most of them. :ylsmoke:

I'm meeting with Jesse at Class V Adventure Gear later this afternoon. He's interested and I'll report back what he says about making a ladder.

Mat Mobile

Adventurer
Sorry man, it was meant to be a humorous post to point out overall cost. :(

And yes... I needed a garage that barely fit my van because it snows 1/3 of the year here. Welding in a snowy driveway isn't safe! Plus my wife hates it when I leave tools in the living room. And that's the cost of houses here... MY calculations...

It's all good. I felt like I had to defend my honor in that I do actually own a grinder and I wouldn't need to factor that into the cost of building my own should I chose to do so. No hard feelings.

i have absolutely zero qualms making stuff myself, or people making their own stuff, but you know how it goes, bunch of time, or bunch of money, its never both at the same time.

as to the $7K aluminess ladder, i get that side of it too, but hey, at least it matches.

I'm as big a "cheapskate" as the next guy, worse than most in fact, theres no way i could stomach the cost of aluminess bumpers, boxes, swing outs, etc. but if i was dialed in other wise, and just needed a ladder, meh, not the end of the world. i work on other peoples cars 5 days a week, sometimes 7 days a week, and well, i get burnt out by the time it comes to mine, if its something i want, but don't want to do, pay the man and get it done.

Backcountry pursuit, your build thread is great, your eloquence with words is astounding, its a great read. big kudos for grinding it out in the driveway.

Timjim

Observer
I am trying to fab up as much as I can, but the ladder actually came in as an affordable item to me considering how much time it would take to make a decent one. Even with a tube bender and notcher, it would be a pain and take many tries to get right. Then the welding and powdercoat. Time is sometimes more valuable than your money, so like villageidiot said, you kind of have to balance the two.

Why more fab companies don't make em?? Probably a limited market and you have to make a bunch to get your development time back. For aftermarket stuff on discontinued Ford vans, it's tough.

I spent a good few hours today at Class V Adventure Gear with my buddy Jesse. We got his fancy angle measurement thingy out and drew up a design. He is going to build me one and give me a friend price on it, so it will be cheaper than the Aluminess one for me.

However, I admit defeat. That Aluminess ladder is worth $400. Jesse said if he nailed the design on the first try and could spend a week making like 25 or 30 of them, he would probably offer them for less than $400, but not by a lot.

I didn't mean to rile the natives with my post. I certainly didn't slight the quality of stuff Aluminess puts out. I merely was amazed that nobody but them makes a ladder. After considering it more deeply, talking with Jesse and listening to the folks here, I agree that is probably appropriately priced. None of these aftermarket van companies are a 501c3 non-profit. They are in it to make money just as I am in the business of selling outdoor gear for a living and I certainly don't like doing stuff for less than what I feel I am worth. Neither should they.

Case closed. It's worth $400 in my book, but I am still going to have my friend build me one so I save a few bucks and support him. i will also learn to weld but I have much simpler projects to start with.

If anybody is in the market for a cat boat frame or a raft frame, Jesse makes some of the best in the world. Especially if you are in the market for a 12 or 13ft cat frame designed to run big class IV and class V water. We know whitewater here in Idaho. Check out his webpage. Class V Adventure Gear

Ozarker

Pontoon Admiral
All Aluminum Fold & Store Pontoon Boat Ladder
Mounts in the pontoon gate area - the bottom of the ladder rests against the pontoon tube.
Satin finished anodized aluminum
No black marks on hands or clothes from untreated aluminum
1” .072 “fluted” aluminum stock
The strongest ladder available, “fluted” aluminum helps hide scratches
Extends 39” below the pontoon deck
Almost as deep as our big 4 step. Easy for swimmers to climb
Folds to 23” x 15”
Stores easily under most pontoon seats
Steps are 15” x 2”, embossed nonskid aluminum
These are big-strong ladders great for the heaviest swimmer
Bottom legs rest against pontoon tubes, cut to fit
All stainless steel hardware, including attachment kit
No plated footman loops or hardware to rust in 2-3 years
Guaranteed for swimmers up to #250
Mounts with L.A.K.'s
LAK's allow you to use the ladder at multiple spots on the pontoon. Buy an extra kit and use the ladder in both gate areas
Folding Pontoon Ladder
free mounting kit with ladder AF 40 FS $99
Options

That is from : http://dockandpontoonladders.com/folding-pontoon-ladders.htm

They have several styles.

All you might need would be a hack saw and hardware. Paint it black if you must.

Another way, if you're agile, get some poly coated or plain cable, cable clamps and make a basic rope ladder. Steps can be EMT, pipe, wood, angle even PVC, whatever.

Drill holes at the edge of your step, put cable clams underneath each step after fishing the cable through the holes. Adjust to length and crank down the clamps.Put hooks on the top end and hook it to your rack or bolt it if you carry it on the rack.

You can attach "stand offs" to the steps, blocks, 45 degree pipe fittings and put rubber caps on them, anything to hold the step away from the body, might stagger the stand offs so it rolls up nicely.

You could also use several stands of para cord instead of cable, just tie knots under the steps. :)

You can roll it up

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Breezy78