Why isn't the Ford Ranger a popular expedition vehicle?

3Deserts

Observer
Amazing how in the US they are 1/2 ton trucks, here they are 1 tonne trucks and in the middle east and Hindu Kush there is no weight limit - just throw on a DShK and 5 thousand rounds and drive off

A couple weeks ago I picked up some decomposed granite and sand at my local aggregate dealer, and mixed up their scoop vs. tonnage spec, and accidentally loaded nearly a ton in the Ranger--with off road Bilsteins and Deavers in back! Made it home, and the tires only rubbed the underside of the fenders on the big bumps! :victory:

I usually try to keep it to about half a ton though. The truck's much happier then.

But the bigger picture for me is how no matter how much I abuse this truck, it doesn't die. It doesn't even hiccup. The only thing I've ever replaced in the four or five years I've had it is the clutch, and that was just because it was old and worn out.:smiley_drive:

Although the headliner is pretty sad...

Mamontof

Explorer
Third world troop carriers

Amazing how in the US they are 1/2 ton trucks, here they are 1 tonne trucks and in the middle east and Hindu Kush there is no weight limit - just throw on a DShK and 5 thousand rounds and drive off

Your words so right
39ef88bdc96007489bb3bd028dcbc04e_d75.jpg

winkosmosis

Explorer
We only get the Diesels over here, think they are ALL Mazda built/Ford badged

Not bad trucks. Little goes wrong apart from T case issues and shocks. Front torsion bars are too soft

http://www.ford.co.uk/CurrentPromo/CommercialPromotions/Ranger

http://www.ford.co.uk/Commercialvehicles/Ranger

Nice engine, bit thirsty when pushed

Just not as popular as the Mitsi L200, Toyota Hi-lux or Nissan Nirvana

Ford decided to screw over American consumers by not offering the world Ranger here. Instead they gussied up the Explorer with styling updates, independent suspension, etc etc.

Now they're canceling the Ranger, while the rest of the world still gets the modern truck.

RR1

Explorer
We have an '08 as my wife's truck.

Apart from nothing in the aftermarket for it for suspension etc, the only real down side is the &^%$&% fuel consumption.

I think full-size trucks get better mileage...

Jamie

There are plenty of aftermarket suspension systems for the Ranger, both TTB and A-Arm. A lot of the dezert guys go with the lighter Ranger, because the suspension doesn't get beat as "much" as it would on a fullsize...relatively speaking.

For a lightweight adventure vehicle it is hard to wrong, trick out the suspension, throw on a topper, and basic camping gear and go.

http://www.camburg.com/

http://www.autofab.com/

RCH_1262.jpg

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ua0lsed0ug"]YouTube - Camburg Ranger[/ame]
PC210047.jpg

149146_970018518052_10124898_51926485_4876456_n.jpg

Last edited:

Ray Hyland

Expedition Leader
I drove a Ford Ranger across Borneo, through the interior logging and border patrol roads. I thought it was a pretty good little expedition truck. Not much suspension travel but well planted, it felt solid and stable, even on washboard corners.

With the stock tires the ride was a little harsh on rough roads at speed, but with a better quality and slightly bigger tire that you could air down a little more it would have been much more comfortable.

I had a petrol (gas) version, but was able to get fuel at the logging camps so range was never an issue.

Ray

winkosmosis

Explorer
I would expect the TTB to handle better than wishbones. Usually truck wishbones seem to be set up so there's no camber change, so when the truck leans while cornering, the wheels lean just as much. Nissans seem to be set up so the outside wheel leans OUT of the turn even more than the vehicle.

With TTB the wheels don't stay perpendicular to the ground like a solid axle but at least they don't lean out of a turn as much as wishbones.

ujoint

Supporting Sponsor
Great thread. The Ranger is a great platform! I'm in the process of building one that has been in the family since new. It's been a great truck, and I hope it's around for a long time!

600_ranger_tint.JPG

LoBrau

I dunno. The few I've seen/been in weren't all that comfortable - the seating, not the legroom. Maybe they're too economy?

In my area, Tacomas and F150s are king. not many Rangers. Suprisingly, I see a lot here in Kandahar, along with the Hilux. They seem to do just fine.

In my part of Virginia the Ranger has a pretty strong showing, although not too much in the off road market (almost all I see are 2wd anymore, but there sure are a lot of them).

As for the seating, I DD an 03 FX4 Level II, and it has by far the most comfortable seats I've every experienced. When I bought it I drove it from Ann Arbor, MI back to the Richmond area through all the back roads and twisties I could find and enjoyed every comfortable minute of it.

I've determined that this must be a function of the Level II package, however, as every other Ranger owner I've talked to has pretty harsh words for their seats.

ETA: The fuel economy is a major suck, though. I'm waiting for some chump to wad up his fancy new F-150 Ecoboost so I can do a little surgery.

Patman

Explorer
Now if someone could bring in crewcab cabs from Mexico, I think a ranger would rise in the ranks of Expedition rigs. Doing a simple floor/a-pillar cut on a standard cab and grafting on the crewcab cab and bed. With some realistic suspension and 33's. Would be a nice option for a compact rig with enough room for 3.5 grown ups. Or 2 and a fridge, etc. with easy access in the back.

Never understand why the marketing guys in detroit took so long to get any small crews here. Especially when they already made them for the rest of the world.

A build like Chris' with a crew would be that much cooler.

RR1

Explorer
Now if someone could bring in crewcab cabs from Mexico, I think a ranger would rise in the ranks of Expedition rigs. Doing a simple floor/a-pillar cut on a standard cab and grafting on the crewcab cab and bed. With some realistic suspension and 33's. Would be a nice option for a compact rig with enough room for 3.5 grown ups. Or 2 and a fridge, etc. with easy access in the back.

Never understand why the marketing guys in detroit took so long to get any small crews here. Especially when they already made them for the rest of the world.

A build like Chris' with a crew would be that much cooler.

Being near the Border, I see the crew cab Rangers every now and then, and wonder why we can't get them here. I guess the Ford executives want to push the F150, probably why it is getting the Eco-Boost. That motor would be a hoot in the Ranger. Heard a rumor about a 4 cylinder Eco-Boost for the Ranger, but probably just a rumor.

Has Safari Pacific's Ranger been mentioned yet?

http://www.safaripacific.com/vehicles.php

splash_2010-07-18.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mitch Bears