Why Mitsubishi doesn't import Montero sport?

Toasty

Looking for that thing i just had in my hand...
Because they are stupid, I'd buy one tomorrow if they were here. Those are great trucks, just sign for the next 7 years worth of payments :wings:

Before the hostile takeover by Nissan they were hinting at bringing it here, they'll drop the ball again i'm sure.

newworld2004

Adventurer
Because they are stupid, I'd buy one tomorrow if they were here. Those are great trucks, just sign for the next 7 years worth of payments :wings:

Before the hostile takeover by Nissan they were hinting at bringing it here, they'll drop the ball again i'm sure.

I will be first in line to get one of those Montero sport, if Toyota can sale tons of 4 Runner why can't Mitsubishi do the same , in my opinion 2017 Montero Sport is much good looking than 4 Runner.

That is said we stuck with small Mitsubishi Line up.

plh

Explorer
Oh so many reasons. #1 - American's in general don't like diesels (soccer mom class vehicles) . So far this is the only power plant option in the latest generation Pajero Sport which I assume you are referencing.

Jeff V.

Observer
plh said:
Oh so many reasons. #1 - American's in general don't like diesels (soccer mom class vehicles) . So far this is the only power plant option in the latest generation Pajero Sport which I assume you are referencing.

It's available in the middle east and southeast Asia with a 6B31 3.0 MIVEC V6. I think Russia gets it too.

http://www.mitsubishi-motors.com/en/showroom/pajero_sport/performance/

It's the same engine we got in our Outlander. The problem is, it's gutless. They'd probably need to do a 3.5 or 4.0 with more torque to make it competitive.

plh

Explorer
It's available in the middle east and southeast Asia with a 6B31 3.0 MIVEC V6. I think Russia gets it too.

http://www.mitsubishi-motors.com/en/showroom/pajero_sport/performance/

It's the same engine we got in our Outlander. The problem is, it's gutless. They'd probably need to do a 3.5 or 4.0 with more torque to make it competitive.

Interesting. I spend considerable time in Thailand each year and have never seen a gas version. But they also have less tax on the trucks with diesels, so probably nobody buys a gas version. Also, the diesel engine over there won't be using DEF, and it's simply not a bolt on.

I see the 3.0 l is listed as Euro 5. I'm sure it's not certified in this chassis to the latest EPA standards which in 2017 unified to CARB.

Heck by 2023 California doesn't want petroleum fueled vehicles to be sold. The balance of USA will follow shortly.

Last edited:

Jeff V.

Observer
I honestly don't think Mitsubishi will last in the US until 2020. They really only sell 3 cars here. The Outlander, Outlander Sport, and Mirage. The Outlanders seem like decent cars, but I've yet to see a positive review of the Mirage. I see Renault-Nissan slowly phasing them out as each platform hits the end of it's life expectancy.

I went to the US website just now, and they've still got the 2015 Evo listed. That's just depressing. Even their Japanese lineup has gotten pretty sad. There's the Outlanders, the 16 year old Pajero, some Kei sized vans and the Mirage. They don't have any sedans or coupes at all. No Lancer, Galant, Diamante, Eclipse, FTO, 3000GT...nothing. The Delica seems to have been turned into an unremarkable, basic van. At least SE Asia and Australia get the Pajero Sport and the Triton pickup.

MrGalantguy

Mitsubishi Loyalist
Simple..Their current financial issues, transition in the Nissan/Renault/Mitsubishi alliance, and US tariffs/import taxes/regulation, and R&D to have a Left hand drive version of the MS and meet current US DOT regulations....all of those dictate their decision to bring the current MS to the US.

Ghosn has publicly said many times during and after they brought Mitsu to their alliance that he wants to revitalize the brand. Nissan was and probably worse of the position in the late 90's as they almost went bankrupt but when Ghosn took over they have become the successful.

Jeff V.

Observer
They offer a LHD version in the Philippines. Maybe elsewhere.

Ghosn may want to revitalize the brand, but that doesn't necessarily mean in the US. Their strategic reason behind the Mitsu purchase was their market presence in SE Asia.

https://www.ft.com/content/9ec80edc-3733-11e7-99bd-13beb0903fa3

Please use the sharing tools found via the email icon at the top of articles. Copying articles to share with others is a breach of FT.com T&Cs and Copyright Policy. Email licensing@ft.com to buy additional rights. Subscribers may share up to 10 or 20 articles per month using the gift article service. More information can be found at https://www.ft.com/tour.
https://www.ft.com/content/9ec80edc-3733-11e7-99bd-13beb0903fa3

Mitsubishi's strategy now centres on Asia, and MMTh is the tip of the spear. It is the largest of the company's plants, with an annual production capacity of 424,000 vehicles, more than 80 per cent of which are exported. This means the plant produces roughly one out of every three Mitsubishi cars.

Granted, Mitsubishi only sells around 1m vehicles worldwide per year — a fifth of Nissan's global total and a third of Renault's. But in Asia and Oceania excluding Japan and China, Mitsubishi and Nissan are equally matched. In the April-December period, Mitsubishi's sales in the region reached 228,000 units, just shy of Nissan's 253,000.

Warreb

I was just in Costa Rica and they have these everywhere. The 2.4 turbo diesel seems like a great power plant. I’d totally buy one if they sold them in the USA.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Smudge12