Why not more Grand Cherokee overland vehicles??

FNGfromLA

I am new to the idea of overlanding and was wondering why I do not see more folks in a newer grand cherokee? I am not talking about rock climbing and heavy offroad stuff. I'm talking about basic overlanding. It seems to me that one with the offroad options along with the eco diesel would be great with the range it is supposed to get.

I imagine that there is not a whole lot of aftermarket stuff for it like there are other vehicles, but why would it not be a good option?

mires

Adventurer
Mostly because there are much better options. Jeep as a whole has a reputation for poor reliability particularly when it comes to electronics. Reliability and safety are the most important things when it comes to vehicle supported travel.

FNGfromLA

on the jeep site, they claim up to a 730 mile range with the ecodiesel engine... that's pretty incredible when I am looking at half that or so in a wrangler. I guess maybe its because the ecodiesel is not proven yet???

lumpskie

Independent Thinker
on the jeep site, they claim up to a 730 mile range with the ecodiesel engine... that's pretty incredible when I am looking at half that or so in a wrangler. I guess maybe its because the ecodiesel is not proven yet???

I'm with you. A diesel hard top Jeep is something I'd be interested in. (I'm still waiting for a 4 door Jeep pickup) For overlanding, I'd be curious to see how the Ecodiesel handles high sulfer and poor quality fuel. I guess, because of the new EPA requirements, a lot of our newer diesels tend to have issues with that.

Airmapper

Inactive Member
ExPo has an article on it:
http://expeditionportal.com/trail-tested-jeep-grand-cherokee-ecodiesel/

I'm going to go out on a limb and say it's because they don't look like an off road vehicle, more like a soccer mom crossover you shuttle shopping sacks to and from market with.

Overlanders dig their kit. Not many places to bolt junk onto an aerodynamic body. Like you mentioned, not much aftermarket support for bolting junk onto an aerodynamic body. Therefore no enthusiasm. People might be overlanding in them, they are taking photos of the landscape, not of their ho hum nothing special here vehicle that gets about as much media attention as a household appliance.

While it might be capable, it's not going to be the stand out and look the part rig, thus you won't see much enthusiasm here over them. Does not mean you couldn't do a lot of traveling in one.

That said, Jeep's poor reliability past, (and even Doge, Chrysler, whoever owns it all overall's past reputation matter of fact) has detoured me from ever considering buying anything made by Jeep seriously. Same actually holds for Ford and GM as well. If I'm looking for a reliable vehicle I immediately start searching for an import (Toyota or Nissan specifically....) That is kinda how reputation works, and it will take a while to recover that even if these newer Jeeps turn out to be the most reliable vehicles ever made, sad, very sad, but true.

bknudtsen

Expedition Leader
Probably has more to do with entry price/maintenance costs than capability or aftermarket support. Eco-diesel is a $4500 option on a $45,000 dollar vehicle. After that, you'll need to add some ground clearance at the very least. With some careful modding, I think you could do well with a GC as a base for an overland type rig, but that extra 300 mile range is coming at a steep premium.

That'd buy a lot of gas for a Wrangler Unlimited, which will do way better right off the showroom floor...

paroxysym

Adventurer
As a WK owner, I will agree the amount of electronics and electrical gremlins that tend to plague most grand Cherokees do sway me away from making it an overlander. now don't get me wrong but I do love my WK and upon my move next year to CO I will be stretching her legs out there. but when I owned a TJ or an XJ I was never worried about some electrical component taking a dump on me in the middle of nowhere or beating the piss out of her because repairs weren't too expensive and I knew I could do it myself.

being she(the WK) has 170k+ on her im happy shes made it this far, im NOT happy she needs a new PCM. hence, why im alittle leary on wheeling the piss out of her.

tarditi

Explorer
I think the vehicle is capable, but the owner demographic is just not participating on the lifestyle/activity that is "overlanding" that much.
You can overland in almost anything, the degree of difficulty and trail reliability will vary based on the vehicle chosen, of course.

I've often considered going with a Grand Cherokee, but frankly, think a Four Runner has a more advantageous design for overlanding when it comes to available rear locker and cargo space dimensions.

tarditi

Explorer
Probably has more to do with entry price/maintenance costs than capability or aftermarket support. Eco-diesel is a $4500 option on a $45,000 dollar vehicle. After that, you'll need to add some ground clearance at the very least. With some careful modding, I think you could do well with a GC as a base for an overland type rig, but that extra 300 mile range is coming at a steep premium.

That'd buy a lot of gas for a Wrangler Unlimited, which will do way better right off the showroom floor...

Can also get an extended tank for a JKU for about $2500

kmlacroix

Explorer
i had a 14 overland diesel. 18-19 mpg offroad, more than enough power on tap. The air suspension works fine. I had no issues with mine.

Part of the percieved issue with the new ones is wheel clearance, 33's usually will not fit without trimming. Americans, many anyway, seem stuck on lifts and huge tires.

SnoViking

Adventurer
I actually just saw a pretty nice looking GC whilst down in Shenandoah National Park. The first thing that struck me were the wheels; If someone told me they were going to put BBS wheels on a Grand Cherokee I would have laughed.... but they look awesome. The rig was done up clean and conservative. It looked like it had a minor lift, a bit larger tires (nothing HUGE) and a few bits and pieces here and there. It was quite a decent looking rig.

https://flic.kr/p/L2rmFW

DallasJKU

Adventurer
i had a 14 overland diesel. 18-19 mpg offroad, more than enough power on tap. The air suspension works fine. I had no issues with mine.

Part of the percieved issue with the new ones is wheel clearance, 33's usually will not fit without trimming. Americans, many anyway, seem stuck on lifts and huge tires.

USA!! USA!! I hated my GC with all its technology that is guaranteed to break. Glad to be back in a JK again.

jpat30

Adventurer
@SnoViking; man that is an awesome looking GC:drool: Personally I really like having a not like everyone else ride. I drive an 03 GC that I love. It has some basic mods that allow me to run 32 inch ATs and has taken me everywhere. I will echo an earlier sentiment though; Grands are just not as popular as say a JK due to image. When most folks think overlanding, they immediately envision a camel trophy LR or LC and to a ever increasing degree the JK. JKs are selling faster than Jeep can make them and we all know that is what drives the aftermarket. So; the more folks that buy GCs, the more aftermarket support you get.....its a vicious circle (LOL). All that to say this; do you man...buy, build, and run what you like. Cause in the end, isn't that what really counts.....

Comanche Scott

Expedition Leader
Overlanding versus Four Wheeling. Two very different disciplines.

I *think* this is because for the most part we confuse four wheeling with Overlanding.
The Grand Cherokee (in any evolution) could be a great Overlanding vehicle. Read through the Overland adventure threads, and you see that a lot of adventures never travel over anything worse than an unimproved road. The newer G.C. would be very comfortable on that kind of adventure.
It may not be the best choice for four wheeling, depending on what that "Wheeling" entailed.

A good example would be, a trip across the TAT (which the G.C. could do just fine) is considered more of an Overlanding adventure.
A trip to Moab to run the different trails would be considered Four Wheeling (which the G.C. may not be the best choice, trail dependent).

I would have no issues exploring the "Four Corners" region (Utah, Colorado, Arizona, New Mexico) in a Grand Cherokee as an Overlanding adventure. I wouldn't be comfortable running trails like Poison Spider in a stock G.C. of any vintage though.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mitch Bears