Why so few GM Builds?

Buliwyf

Viking with a Hammer
See, this is what we call a troll. Provides no information but whose sole purpose is to derail a thread where he is, as usual, useless.

and please - Ray is the person you need to talk to about me. He is very comforting to people of the snowflake, gold star, and pirate persuasion - in short, people like you.

Read your own post you frackin doosh bag.

I provided links and plenty of info. YOU HAVE PROVIDED NOTHING WITH YOUR STUPID POST. FRACK OFF.

At this point you guys sound like a bunch of whiney sissy bitches. And I'm seeing that there are better forums out there for real info. Not spoiled yuppie brand fan boy hysteria. So go frack yourself.

Buliwyf

Viking with a Hammer
Seriously guy, what's your issue, can people not have their own opinion without you feeling like your manhood is being infringed upon?

If you want to post your opinion without me commenting on it. Then don't quote me you jack ***. Frack off.

You ask why, I answered why. Pathetic chevy guys don't like the answer, well frackin tough. Screw you.

XJLI

Adventurer
This thread is dumb. Should we start measuring weiners? Why is it when someone suggests swapping a V8 into ANYTHING the first answer is "LS swap"? and not "5.4 swap" or "5.7 Hemi swap"? Because GM has and has had the most reliable and economical (as far as upkeep goes) family of gasoline motors in full-size trucks, period. Who cares if I break a $35 tie rod on the trail when I can swap out a spare in half an hour? Dodge unit bearings are so bad in their SFAs that people regularly spend $800 on lock out kits. The Hemis blow exhaust manifold gaskets at 65k miles. Old Dodge SFA steering wears out quick and you get deathwooble on the reg, and brand new Super Dutys get deathwobble right off of the showroom floor. Also, if you open the hood on one of them, gasser or diesel, there isn't room to swing a 10mm socket wrench.

.!. :D .!.

/troll

thezentree

pretend redneck
If you want to post your opinion without me commenting on it. Then don't quote me you jack ***. Frack off.

You ask why, I answered why. Pathetic chevy guys don't like the answer, well frackin tough. Screw you.

Show us on the doll where the bad Chevy man touched you.

jeep-N-montero

Expedition Leader

If this is what you need to tell yourself to help you sleep at night then by all means do what works for you. What I drive does not define who I am or impact my manhood, I buy what works for our family and have never had a breakdown or failure of any sort. If your attitude is truly a reflection of how you feel, maybe you should just go live in a cave where you no longer have to worry about trying to control what others do with their money....

Buliwyf

Viking with a Hammer
I'm not controlling nothing stupid ********. I posted that Gm IFS suck, and you attacked me. Not the other way around. I'm perfectly secure with more durable vehicles up here.

Even the newb mags are writing about it:

POOR ARTICULATION
Weak link: The IFS front suspension
Models affected: '88-and-up
What happens: This suspension offers a great ride, but suffers from poor articulation and durability when used for even moderate off-highway travel.
Sturdy fix: For serious off-highway performance, replace the IFS with a solid front axle using a conversion kit like the one offered by Off Road Unlimited. It includes all of the necessary bracketry and hangers. ORU offers all of the components to complete the swap, including leaf springs from 2 to 12 inches in raised height in 2-inch increments, brake lines, front CV driveshaft and yoke, complete Dana 44 or Dana 60 axles and even a crossover steering kit.

And:
http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/newbie-general-4x4-discussion/393045-gm-ifs-question.html

XJLI

Adventurer
129_1101_18_o%2B129_1101_flexstasy_bds_four_link_suspension_for_the_ford_super_duty%2Brti_before.jpg

SO MUCH BETTER THAN GM IFS!!!!!

Mickey Bitsko

Adventurer
It would appear.. this thread is over..

And the winner is...?

Let's start an argument..er discussion on who and why is the winner...

And.... Begin voting now..
Ford
Chevy
Toyota
Vw
You get the idea..

Buliwyf

Viking with a Hammer
Rear dig, front dragging the rear closer in for an easier climb. Something we do often with front 44's and 60's. I get it, but that's just a good pic. If you strengthen the rods and CV's the case goes next.

Read this, this one is really good:
http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/chevy/1521330-so-who-has-actually-broken-front-ifs-cv-shaft.html

"Ext cab 3/4 ton Chevy with utility bed and rack. Broken 2 leaving a muddy job sites. We now just drag it out and don't attempt using 4wd"

"Always the outter. Depending on how long I had to drive on it broken to get to a workable spot... I'd cut the boot, or break the strap on the boot around the "bell" portion of the stub, unbolt at the diff and pull the guts, half shaft and usually complete inner joint out, leaving the stub to get home on.

It'd be cool if this info helps you somehow. Back then the answer was ALWAYS swapping in an axle. I wanted to try and make the IFS work because I wheeled 99% of the time in the woods where it was sufficient otherwise. Just didn't have the funds to make it happen."

"I've seen three break on 35's with 4" lifts, H2's and 3/4tons. All passenger side inners. They cant take the higher angle, turning, under much load. Its like a helmet to the knee."

I think we all know about bouncing:
"Pretty common around here on the lifted Chevy's. Local kids blow them up when under power and the suspension droops as they are bouncing through the mud. It seems the inboard side is the most vulnerable.

With the GM 1/2 ton fronts, the short intermediate shaft on the passenger side is weaker than the CV's so it breaks first. The breaking of the CV's seems to only happen due to binding at droop."

"i could break them on demand once i figured out what was causing them to break. had a fabtech 6" lift lowered onto the bump stops (so about 4" lift and almost stock cv angles) and it still broke cv's under power turned lock with a good blip of power while having a bit of load on the outside wheel. i cracked a few of the joint housings and **** the shaft/bearings out a few times also.

by a blip of power i don't mean mashing the gas, i mean simply trying to accelerate quickly or having the rig siting still and taking off mildly aggressive. 2 cv's broke while trying to move a trailer into position while camping on 2 separate trips.

i did notice the china made replacement cv's were built so poorly that even on stock rigs at full drop they bound on the bearing housing even with the wheels straight just trying to spin the tires. i never had luck with any of the over the counter parts store cv's. i ended up getting a few oem cv's from a salvage yard and reconditioning them myself. tore them down, check the bearings, replace boots repack then keeping one in the tool box for the next time it was needed.

finally did an solid axle as the cv issues and wheel bearings are just crap. i dont romp on my rig much if at all but i do tow a lot of heavy stuff on rough roads/trails and the ifs just didnt take the use well.

this was all on a 2003 cclb duramax. and all but 1 cv broke running my mild 60hp towing tune."

"Broken CVs? I didn't realize the flimsy POS aluminum center chunk was strong enough to break them. I've seen three of THEM explode. This was 1/2-ton IFS junk, so maybe the 3/4 or 1-ton stuff is waaaay stronger (which still isn't saying much...). These were all under very tame, mostly stock DD vehicles in the mud. I've heard plenty of complaints about CVs wearing out rapidly from either high angles or the boots cracking unbeknownst to the owner and filling full of ****, but I've never owned a truck so equipped myself. I've also personally seen and heard many complaints of the flimsy, disposable POS wheel bearings constantly going to **** under decent use. I just helped a buddy change both of his this week @ $130 apiece..."

Last edited:

1stDeuce

Explorer
Buliwyf has demonstrated over and over again that he has no room in his mind for any opinion that isn't "GM IFS SUCKS". Just let him vent his opinion, and move on.

Meanwhile, I'll just keep driving my 250k mile GM IFS truck that has yet to need a single ball joint replaced. It rides nice, and drives nice. It has plenty of clearance under the front end, with no pumpkin to bang stuff, and it always gets me where I'm going.

My version of overlanding isn't about "ultimate rock crawling off roading", it's about exploring lesser traveled areas and covering miles in relative comfort. If I owned a dodge, I'm sure I'd have been through three sets of ball joints by now. A Ford might have made it farther before ball joints, but it would also have beat me to death.

My GMC with "sucky" IFS hasn't broken a single component, needed any U-joints replaced, or given me any trouble. In fact, in all the offroading I've done with it, the only time I've not been able to get where I wanted to go was when the rear 11.5" diff got hung on a rock in the middle of a greasy trail. I took several runs, and moved that HUGE rock a few inches forward in the mud, but couldn't get over it. A SFA Dodge with a Cummins would have been stopped in the same exact place. Honestly, a Ford might have made it, but only by virtue of the smaller 10.5" rear axle.

To me, an overlanding rig doesn't have to be the best hard core offroad vehicle, it just needs to do what you ask it well enough to get you through, and it needs to provide enough comfort that you don't get sick of driving it and just stay home. Look at the threads again... Plenty of GM builds. What I don't see are any Ford builds, or hardly any Dodge builds these days. Makes sense to me, since real "offroading" as part of overlanding is just about non-existent in the US anyway. :(

Current count on the "Full Size and other" page is 12 GM builds, ONE Ford build, and two Ram builds. I'd say the title of this thread is entirely bogus at this point...

Last edited:

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
Well it seems like this thread is going down the crapper :rolleyes: but I would just like to throw in that out in the West, we have thousands and thousands of miles of washboard road, and driving washboard with a SFA vehicle is a special kind of hell, even if you air down.
When you consider the number of miles people typically drive on pavement and washboard compared to how many miles they drive on the kinds of technical 4x4 trails where the SFA is superior, it's easy to understand why most people who have tried both greatly prefer IFS to SFA. For 99.9% of the miles you drive, the IFS wins every time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Deleman