Why They're Sold as Monteros in Spain

Imnosaint

Adventurer
Researching texts for my Visual Communication curriculum I'm evaluating the book, Visual Culture, by Richard Howells and Joaquim Negreiros, and in the chapter on Semiotics, to my astonishment, is the example of Mitsubishi's SUV name.

"In the 1980s, the Japanese motor manufacturer Mitsubishi brought out a new sport utility vehicle called the Pajero. This seemed like a very good name: the word alone seemed full of adventuresome, off-road swagger, especially when one discovers that zoologically, the Leaopardus pajeros is a South American wild cat. For the UK market, the same car is marketed as the Shogun (as in Japanese warlord), where in Spain and the USA it is sold as the Montero (as in Mountain warrior). You get the picture: you can almost smell the testosterone. Unfortunately, 'pajero' has another meaning in Spanish: It is a slang term for 'wanker' or 'one who masturbates'. No wonder the car is sold as the Montero in Spain." (p.114)

Thought you might want to know before you re-badge your Montero.

jlocster

Explorer
Pretty funny how you stumbled across the reference. I actually knew this before I started rebadging my ride--don't know what that says about me... And for those that don't speak Spanish, the word "pajaro" means "bird," kinda intersting how one little letter can completely change a word's meaning.

JamesW

Adventurer
I was talking to a spanish student in my class about this,he said it was more a a slang term for it that isn't used much any more,a bit like the word tosser. Thats why when you google pajero you don't get a load of pictures of people beating their meat :Wow1:

Mine came out the factory as a pajero,guess it's a deep seated trait in them

Sagestone

Observer
ROFL. Very interesting naming conventions. I am sure glad that my Isuzu Trooper, Acura SLX (U.S.), Vauxhall (Europe), Bighorn/Jackaroo (Aus,NZ), Honda Horizon/Bighorn (Japan); Caribe 442 (Venezuela), Chevrolet Trooper (South America/Africa), Chevrolet Trooper 960 (Columbia) doesn't have an identity crisis.:ylsmoke:

MonteroLTD

Adventurer
Mine is still proudly carrying the Montero badge!

CE4AD2C2-D93E-4D87-ABC7-157F09FA084C-1834-0000026F3E1A1004_zps42079438.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taunger