Why you should get a HAM radio now and then get your license

theksmith

Explorer
seems like the whole "should i get a HAM radio?" thing gets quite a bit of discussion around these parts... thought i'd throw in my 2 cents:

Amateur radios, or HAM radios work much like CB or FRS/GMRS (walkie-talkie) radios, but require a license to operate. I'll get into that more later, but first let me explain why I think anyone who travels to remote areas should just go ahead and purchase a HAM radio.

article here: http://offroadpassport.com/forum/showthread.php?t=2821

ldivinag

Adventurer
jeez... just get a license already.

if you can pass the online tests, you can pass the actual test.

1. you'll find the limitations of a 5 watt HT.

2. why you'll need a 50 watts or more if you do venture in the middle of no-where.

3. you'll learn about using repeaters while you are in the middle of no-where.

i dont wanna discourage people but while a HT radio sounds really cool, you do have to know your limitations. i worked a cycling event where i was spread out from the net control.

initially, i thought i would just try my yaesu HT. i couldnt get anyone. i was on top of the mountain and used a mag mount antenna. it wasnt until i connected my 50 watt downstream amp did net control eventually hear me...

Expedition Leader
Well, the linked article does give reasons why you should get a license, and highlights some advantages of ham radio in general. If it gets more people started in ham, then I'm OK with it. But yeah, the tech license is easy; no reason beyond laziness that anyone couldn't pass it.

cruiserlarry

One Crazy FJ
If you want to see ham radio in action, come to the Outdoor Adventure USA Summerfest / Field Day event on June 21-23, 2013 at McGill Campground in Los Padres Nat'l Forest, Southern California (www.oausa.net for more info)

This is the annual Field Day contest, where folks set up radio stations all over the US and Canada, and attempt to make as many contacts as possible over a 24 hour period. This is designed to be a fun way to demonstrate the ability of amateur radio to allow folks to communicate cross town, cross-country, and world-wide in emergency situations.

Ham radio is not dependent on any other service - if you can power it up, and can make / have a functional antenna, you can communicate with others if you need to. So, when land lines don't work, and cell phones don't work, and the internet is unavailable, ham radio still works.

That's why, IMHO, anyone who has a family, ventures into remote areas, or just wants to be in contact when the ******t hits the fan, should get a ham license (AND a radio).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taunger