Wich ride for me?

nosedive

Observer
Hey guys

Should be which and not wich,sorry^^

I'm looking for a ride for me for my next big trip. :safari-rig:
I'm actually from Switzerland and around September of 2014 I'll start my big adventure in North America. My journey includes 12 months of travelling in Canada and the USA with Alaska. For that trip I need a solid ride that brings me trusty to all the places I want. I'll live mostly in my car and tent and i need enough space to take all my stuff just as camping equipment, baggage and ski equipment with me. So it must be big enough but not too big as a Full Size Pick Up with a 6l V8 or whatever.

I'm not looking for a rock crawler or hardcore off road vehicle. I'll go out to the country and drive some back country roads, dirt roads and gravel roads, like the White Rim Trail or Mojave Road. I guess most of the time I'll be solo on my journey, another reason for not going to deep into nowhere or small trails.

I don't want to spend more than 8000USD for the car.

Some things my future ride must have:
4x4
automatic transmission
average of 15mpg or more (better more :ylsmoke:)
opportunity to sleep inside

Some things that would be nice to have:
cruise control
two seats in front (not a bench)
switchable 4x4
lifted
good tires
off road goodies such as bumper, roof rack..
comfortable to drive

So the cars i have in my mind are the Toyota T100, Tundra or a 80 Series Land Cruiser. I'm really into Toyotas. I also like the Tacoma, but i guess it's just too small to spend that much time in it. I LOVE the 80 Series Land Cruiser, but they also might be a little bit too small for my journey. Towing a trailer is not an option for me. So the ride I'm thinking about is the T100 or a 1st gen Tundra.

I did a lot of research about those two cars and they seem very similar. Maybe the T100 is harder to find than a Tundra. A big plus for me for the Tundra is the access cab, it makes it much easier to grab and storage things in the cab and it's easy to have access to the fridge, that i planed to have on the rear bench, and fill it up with food. I also think that there're more used parts or off road goodies on the market as for the T100.
There's just the thing bout the motor. Seems like the most 4x4 Tundras on Craigslist have the 4,7l V8. I love the V8 sound an I'm sure it's a good and powerfull motor, but I would prefer a V6. Was the 1st gen Tundra available wit the 4,0l V6 as 4x4?

I would love to put a pop up Four Wheel Camper on the bed, but they seem to expensive for my budget. So my idea was to go with somehting like an aluminium commercial/utility camper shell and a big roof rack. There're also a lot of used shells on the market and some ladder racks.

What do you guys think? Are there any other options/cars/trucks you may recommend? I'm open minded for your ideas, experience or whatever.

I was thinking about something like this
After02.jpgIMG_0500.jpg

Thank you very much and I wish you a happy new year!! Cheers, Neil :beer::beer:

Flagster

Expedition Leader
My vote would be for a tundra and camper shell...probably one of the best and also most low profile adventure vehicle around...
I own an 80 series but also own a tacoma/camper shell combo and if I had to give up one it would be the 80 series...the pickup bed is too useful and the more powerful engine is much appreciated on the highway...
The tundras were available with the 4.0l v6 and manual tranny if you want it but I think only in 2wd...the 4.7l v8 motors are proving their reliability and the platform can be had for relatively cheap

cnutco

Adventurer
Toyota LC will be more than $8K, so I'm going to throw in a Mitsubishi Montero Limited to mix. Here's mine...

2y3usuru.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

stclair

Adventurer
I have a 2002 Tundra, and I've got to say it has really grown on me. I did pay a bit more for mine, but...it only had 47K on it, 1 owner, from a dealer, etc. I think you could find a nice one for around $8k. The V8 has just enough power, it's super nice on the road, 4WD has been fine. Also, the suicide type doors for the access cab are way nicer than the required reach back in 1st Gen extra cab Tacomas. I even plan to take out the seat for added space, and around 50lbs less weight. Not much out there for after market options, but doesn't sound like that's in your budget anyway. Add some good ATs, a cheap cap, and call it done. Only thing I can think of to really watch out for is frame rust. Mine was fine, but I know some have had issues. Shop warm/dry climates and you should be OK. I have a FWC Eagle for mine, but that would surely blow your budget. I have seen other truck campers for much less though, you just need to shop around. The Tundras are a great value! Good luck!

Derek24

Explorer
Loaded up with gear, a V6 and V8 will get about the same milage, but the V8 will handle the weight much better. The 1st gen Tundras would be a great platform. They are getting hard to come by like the T100s, people tend to hang on to them and fall in love with them. A tundra with a campershell would be hard to beat, only thing better would be a FWC on a Tundra!

tanglefoot

ExPoseur
The 1st generation Tundra was available in 4wd with the 3.4L V6 from 2000 to 2004 The V6 appears to have been dropped from 4wds in 2005+. The 4wd V6s are pretty rare--it'd probably take a while to find one.

I do love the T100s but they're getting tough to find in low-mileage examples. The 1995-1998 T100s were available with the more desirable 3.4L V6.

Used pop-up campers can certainly be found for not a lot of money, but they can be pretty cumbersome to drive around with on a regular basis. When stopped, though, the space and amenities are really nice to have. You might also investigate the convertible tent-shells like the Wildernest (no longer made) and Flip-Pac, or folding tent designs like the Quicksilver.

p nut

butter
I'm going to be the odd-ball weirdo from the back of the room and suggest a crossover and a turbo tent. Something like a Subaru Forester or CRV seems like it would be fine for your uses. Plus will get 20-30 MPG.

Otherwise, forget trucks, as they command top dollar. Best bang-for-buck would be a 3rd Gen 4Runner or 2nd gen with a 22RE. Set up a sleeping platform inside and you're done.

nosedive

Observer
Thank you very much for your ideas and advices.

I think I'm gonna set my focus on a 01 or 02 Tundra with the V8. I really like the perfect size and I also love the V8, maybe I need to safe a little bit more gas money, but I guess it's worth.

Another thing I like on trucks is the separated part of driving and sleeping/living/storage.

I'm going to be the odd-ball weirdo from the back of the room and suggest a crossover and a turbo tent. Something like a Subaru Forester or CRV seems like it would be fine for your uses. Plus will get 20-30 MPG.

Otherwise, forget trucks, as they command top dollar. Best bang-for-buck would be a 3rd Gen 4Runner or 2nd gen with a 22RE. Set up a sleeping platform inside and you're done.

I do like the 4Runner, I had a 91 4x4 when I was in school last year in California. But the car is definitely too small. I'll have a lot of stuff with me and all my skiing equipment. I did a 2 months journey with the Runner with a roof box on top, but still too small.

The turbo tents look nice! But for that price or a little bit more i could buy on eof the 30seconds Oztent. They look more robust to me and they're super easy to set up allone and heavy enough in case of wind. But i guess they're hard to find as a used tent.
I also was thinking about geting a heavy duty and waterproofed party tent with removable side walls. That gives me a dry place to cook or a shady spot behind the truck.

olypenjeeper

I really like the T100. I searched for several months before I found my 97 5 speed. They are out there. Lack of rear doors is sort of a bummer, but the 3.4 gets excellent gas mileage, has a ton of ground clearance, huge engine bay...easy to work in there, and a legendary reputation of quality. One of the last Japanese built toyotas...from the Hino plant. Aftermarket is limited, but aisin hubs bolt on, tundra Canopies fit just fine. Several diff limited slips available, 33x10.50's fit with zero lift or cutting, the steering is stronger than newer rack and pinion. I could go on for awhile. And it's a rare/unique ride that not too many people have. I feel like I'm part of a secret club now lol. Good luck on your choice!

nosedive

Observer
Yea I guess you're right with the T100. Unfortunately I don't have a lot of time to search a ride for me, but if i run over a nice T100, that might will be my choice.

Stroverlander

Adventurer
Chevy Astro/GMC Safari AWD. No need for a tent, 18 mpg cheap and plentiful

:xxrotflma

It is pretty funny - for how it meets all the must have requirements and even nice to haves on the list. Solid suggestion and I'd much rather sleep in a van than a pickup/suv/crossover any night. :coffee:

Parts availability and cost, easy to lift/modify, access to sizable cargo area from front seats, 27 gallon fuel tank, etc. May not fit the image of expedition/adventure travel vehicle for some though...

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Breezy78