Wildernest camper?

NorthernWoodsman

Adventurer/tinkerer
I found a Wildernest camper for $1,000.00

Wondering if that sounds like a good price or if it's totally over-priced? I haven't looked at it yet, but in the photos it looks o.k., but you never know until you see these things in person.

I would be putting it on a 1994 Toyota with a 22RE. I'm also wondering whether I would need to do anything to my suspension to accomodate the Wildernest? Currently, I have some saggy rear springs, but am about to replace with some stock replacement springs that are rated for heavier loads than stock springs. Anything else?

Thanks in advance everyone! This place is amazing!

~matthew

tanglefoot

ExPoseur
That could be a fair price is the tent material and the rest is in good shape. There are some out there for $500-700 but they often need tent repairs. If the tent is in good shape, it may be worth the extra $$. The tent portion would be very expensive to replace and difficult to repair. Also check the full-length hinges on the roof and the rear glass.

You shouldn't need any suspension mods for the 'Nest itself. If you want to add inside cabinets and fill it up with gear, the back may get a little closer to the earth. You can always just re-adjust the headlights if you don't mind the low-back, baja pre-runner look.

Eric

expeditionist

Observer
Ditto on Tanglefoot's reply. Don't forget to look for the flip-pac topper. They are few and far between used but they do come up from time to time. Keep your eyes out.

DaveInDenver

Middle Income Semi-Redneck
For $1,000 you should expect to get a pretty decent 'Nest. Certainly no significant fiberglass issues and a reasonably nice tent (no mold or strains, no holes, etc). Don't expect factory fresh necessarily, but should not need anything but a buff and wax and new seals. If the tent fabric is not clean don't be afraid to offer less.

NorthernWoodsman

Adventurer/tinkerer
Thanks for all of the advice...

...I haven't been able to get over to look at it yet, been super busy with school and work. I plan on contacting the seller today to schedule a time to look at it. I recently read through all of the posts in this forum and looked at the ones about Wildernests specifically. I read a lot of people picking these up for $250-500. So, for $1,000 it'd have to be in near pristine condition. We'll see.

In retrospect I kind of wish I had done more research about my rear springs before I bought them. I think I paid more than what I could've gotten OME springs for, but I wasn't really wanting to lift the truck. But, now knowing that I want to add a cargo storage platform to the bed, possibly a RTT or Wildernest and gear in the bed I worry about sag. I think the OME springs and shocks would've been the best option for the long term. Like I read on here somewhere, buy the best you can afford and do it right the first time. or buy once and cry once. Live and learn I suppose.

abeaudin1971

Adventurer
I put a wildernest on a 2wd 98 Toyota pickup back in 06 - the springs on the truck were a little sleepy so I put a set of supersprings on it - they made it ride a lot better.

For a price comparison perspective, I paid $1100 for it and in California it worked well - the tent needed resealing and there were a couple of holes in the screen but it worked well.

I've since moved to a flippac and dry and bug free is a step in the right direction for me.

-a

Rando

Explorer
$1000 is definitely fair for a 'nest in good condition. They were around $4000 new, and for comparison a new flip-pac is also between $3000 and $4000. I personally like the 'nest better than the flip-pac but they are both great. The obvious things to look at are the condition of the tent, if it is delaminated or overly mildewed I would pass, the assist springs for the lid, the mattress which you probably want to replace anyway and the condition of the main hinges. Mine has a good tent, but about half the bolts that hold the main hinges on were rusted through or missing. Both the hinges and bolts can be replaced (I did it) but it is a little bit of a pain.

NorthernWoodsman

Adventurer/tinkerer
Talked with the owner today...

and we're going to try to meet up this sunday!

he's firm on the price he said, having already turned down offers of $750 & $800. he did say he was somewhat negotiable though.

i asked about condition and he said he hasn't noticed any leaks and the tent has no tears. i hope he isn't lying.

he's scoring on the deal if it sells because he got it basically for free on a truck he bought. damn!

thanks again for all the replies,
matthew

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Smudge12