Will an F550 front axle work for a 4x4 conversion?

Heloflyboy

Adventurer
I just found a 2009 f550 that had an engine fire. Not sure what the mileage is on it being most of the interior was burned. Does anyone know if the front axle would work for a conversion? It has 10 lug wheels, I am not sure if the hubs or disc could be changed to 8 lug. The locking hubs and calipers have already been stripped from axle. The fire appears to be more on passenger side of truck, the abs line was burnwd in fire as well as brake lines. I dumped gear oil and it does not look bad and axle does not look as though it was torched. Bushings on track bar are melted on frame and axle housing, but bushings from radius arms to axle are good. It has 4.88 gears that I would change out. I can get axle for. $250.

Missed this part this will be going into an E350 diesel.

Any thoughts would be great.

Thanks

Last edited:

Bbasso

Expedition Leader
I think you forgot the important part,,, putting the axle into?
Possibly the 1997 E350 in your signature?

I think the brake setup is usable, but I'm not sure about the axle itself. Good luck on getting an answer.

IdaSHO

IDACAMPER
Probably considerably wider than you want.

Light duty 4x4, the front axle track width equals or is very close to the INNER dual of a dually rear

medium duty 4x4, the front axle track width is equals or is very close to the OUTER dual of a dually rear

tgreening

Expedition Leader
The axle will be 6" wider (3" per side) than the standard D60 in the 250/350 lineup. The upside is it will allow you to turn circles around most other trucks. You could mitigate the width a bit through fender flares and come out fairly covered. If it really bugged you could run different offset front rims to bring it completely back under cover. If it's not stripped too bad $250 is a screamin deal for a super 60.

Ozrockrat

Expedition Leader
I don't think it will work with the UJOR kit (I did ask Chris years ago when I could get a pair at a silly price). But if it does I would suggest leaving the 4.88 and running ex military 37" on beadlocks. The offset should help get the rubber back under the guards a bit. Another bonus is that the turning circle on that axle should be better than a standard D60.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mitch Bears