Will stake pocket tie down be able to handle 1000lb camper?

xyzzyxch

As the title states, I'm on my way to pick up an 8' slide in for my 1995 F250. I don't like the hitch or frame mount tie downs since they lengthen my truck (for being long already) and lower the ground clearance (the Happijac I was looking at). Then I run across the Brophy pocket hole tie down which I really like the idea. I know they run this a lot in old times but I want to make sure these tie down will handle some off-road driving. The camper is the Spacekap which is about 800lb from their spec sheet. But I may add more lbs to it as the building going. Thanks in advance for any inputs!

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230402-220548.png
    Screenshot_20230402-220548.png
    487.1 KB · Views: 10

ramblinChet

My buddy has been running a loaded Palomino in his Power Wagon for two years using them and has not had any problems. If the trails you plan to hit are on the rougher side I would research the issue very well.

image000000(29).jpg

Mickey Bitsko

Adventurer
Before all the new stuff came along that's all there was.
You'll be fine.
Each pocket tie down will be holding down 200+ lbs ..nbd

BajaSurfRig

I would also look into getting a bed mat and some camper centering wedges (to keep the camper from moving side to side off road). I have never used that style of tie down, but am a huge fan of my torklift frame mounted tie downs.

85_Ranger4x4

I used clamp on Bropheys to get my camper home, they worked. For that first summer I had the camper I used them too.

I built rocksliders for my truck and incorporated tie down points into them. If they can support the weight of the truck playing camper tie down is nothing. Tweaked the rear bumper design I was already building and incorporated tie down points into that as well.

Only real difference between the two is with the sliders it is easier to put the camper in the truck and not have to wrestle the tie downs in (the brophys were very close to hitting my jacks otherwise) and the Bropheys kept working loose. Not super loose but whenever I checked I could always tighten it more. With the frame mounts it is pretty much one and done. I keep checking but nothing moves.

Last edited:

xyzzyxch

Thank you all for the advice! I really like the rockslider idea since I'll put one in the future @85ranger. And that's a nice-looking ranger @85ranger! Already subscribed to your build! For the rockslider tie-downs, do you have eyelet or hook weld to the slider?

This is my rig? That was the smaller spacekap-wild on it but I need more space?

Attachments

• PXL_20221230_175516470 (1).jpg
    PXL_20221230_175516470 (1).jpg
    3.7 MB · Views: 8

85_Ranger4x4

Thank you all for the advice! I really like the rockslider idea since I'll put one in the future @85ranger. And that's a nice-looking ranger @85ranger! Already subscribed to your build! For the rockslider tie-downs, do you have eyelet or hook weld to the slider?

This is my rig? That was the smaller spacekap-wild on it but I need more space?

I used these for the fronts.

I wanted something kind of sleekish that wouldnt easily catch on things.

Last edited:

Regcabguy

Oil eater.
As the title states, I'm on my way to pick up an 8' slide in for my 1995 F250. I don't like the hitch or frame mount tie downs since they lengthen my truck (for being long already) and lower the ground clearance (the Happijac I was looking at). Then I run across the Brophy pocket hole tie down which I really like the idea. I know they run this a lot in old times but I want to make sure these tie down will handle some off-road driving. The camper is the Spacekap which is about 800lb from their spec sheet. But I may add more lbs to it as the building going. Thanks in advance for any inputs!
You have real metal in contrast to the Alumaduty. With that camper you'll be fine. If it proves to be insufficient the Happijac system is unbeatable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vertical.dan