Will stock F150 be able to do white rim trail?

dado5

I have a 2016 F150 FX4. I am planning a trip to white rim trail next spring. I have a rear locker, good AT tires, recovery boards and chains for the tires. I will have a RTT on the bed rack. I don't want to build a truck for rock crawling and I think most people overbuild their vehicles for overlanding. Anybody who has done the trail think I will be ok with this rig? I have to drive from PA to get there and want a more comfortable daily driver than a fully built rig on 35's.

dstefan

Can’t see why not. I did it in a mildly built Tacoma (slight lift, 32” AT tires) and only used 4wd on Murphy’s Hogback. We permitted 3 nights and it went so fast we only camped one night. I know plenty full sized rigs run it, and I plan to go back with my Tundra and poptop camper in the near future.

I also ran it up to Musselman Arch as a day trip in a bone stock 2wd 06 Tacoma Pre-runner with no drama. Conditions change, places can wash out, but generally speaking its an easy run.

Edit: if you’re bring chains only for the White Rim, you can leave ‘em at home, unless you want them for the paved roads.

zoomad75

K5 Camper guy
I'd check with the rangers at the visitors center in Canyonlands for conditions. I was there last month for my first run of WRT with my buddy that's done it 4 times before. The recent monsoon rains that happened prior to labor day this year caused a lot of washouts and rougher conditions on the west side of the trail. The Hardscrabble area was worst hit, but Potato Bottom had also clearly been underwater. The rangers told us the day we went in that they upped the requirement for the vehicles from stock 4wd trucks to Modified trucks with experienced drivers only. They had week-old photos of the affected area that proved to be accurate for us.

I'm not saying it's going to be like that next spring, but weather can have an impact on how the trail is from month to month. My truck is fully built and my buddy was driving a '05 PowerWagon with all the goodies it came with and we used every tool in the toolbox our trucks had to make the section up and over Hardscrabble. Out of the 4 times before my buddy said it was the worst he has ever seen it. A stock truck with no lift, chains or not would have struggled. Between the loose rocks and the washouts it would make it much harder for a truck with less clearance and ability.

If the conditions are better, it probably wouldn't be an issue. But I'd keep an eye on the conditions leading into the trip.

calicamper

Expedition Leader
Just depends. When I was there the road was so highly trafficked and worn in any stock SUV would easily do it.

jadmt

ignore button user
Yes no problem. Last year we met a guy in a 2 wheel drive dodge caravan. Said he had a little problem getting up hard scrabble but made it. My buddy had no issues in his 2018 f150 he had slightly bigger tires than stock but no issues. not sure he ever needed to put it in 4wd.

Attachments

• IMG_20201208_121103003_HDR.jpg
    3.9 MB · Views: 35
Last edited:

WOODY2

Adventurer
I have a 2016 F150 FX4. I am planning a trip to white rim trail next spring. I have a rear locker, good AT tires, recovery boards and chains for the tires. I will have a RTT on the bed rack. I don't want to build a truck for rock crawling and I think most people overbuild their vehicles for overlanding. Anybody who has done the trail think I will be ok with this rig? I have to drive from PA to get there and want a more comfortable daily driver than a fully built rig on 35's.
Shouldn't be any issues, that being said tires are a very important consideration. Choose wisely and prepare to be amazed at what you will see.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior