Willman's Bantam BT3-C Expedition Trailer Buildup

Willman

dieselcruiserhead said:
Hey Nic, looking good... Bummer because we have an overhead chain hoist that could have done the trick.. Looks good though, agreed the frames are a little chincy but that will be fine for almost all recoveries and as much towing as that trailer could handle IMO, looks strong :) Also really good reading about your brakes, has me thinking... :sombrero:

Thanks!.......

I left my leathers at home:( ....Lets say i got a few burns!!

I'm happy with the out come.....

Brakes.....I love mine!....Very handy on the trail!....Also fun in icy parking lots with getting the tow rig and trailer sideways:)

chrisngrod

Hello. New to the forum. I'm trying to rebuild a M-416 and am having my friend do the metal work.

What did you mean by bumping pass the object (referencing brakes). I'm trying to figure out my best suspension option here. Did you check out Adventure Trailer's kit? I e-mailed about them because I saw it on someone else's build. It's expensive but probably works really well.

Did you happen to mention where you got your axle? I saw a place in Alabama I can get some stuff for a good price.

Thanks in advance.

EDIT: Saw you talked about the AT suspension. After sending them an e-mail though....

Chris

We still offer the independent suspension system. It's a little more complex than the original set up and needs to be installed by our fabricators.

Cost runs around $2000.00

Martyn

Martyn Davies
VP Adventure Trailers LLC
Toll Free: 1-877-661-8097
Cell: 1-530-307-0054
martyn@adventuretrailers.com
http://www.adventuretrailers.com/
http://www.atreport.com/

Too much for me right now. Might as well buy an AT.

Last edited:

Lulo

Observer
Great Job! :victory:

Your trailer jumps a lot when on the road do not have weight???

If you ever choose to build a trailer, I copy many of your ideas, sorry amigo! :sombrero: :sombrero:

chrisngrod

My custom M-416 bounces around in the back without weight (over some bumps on dirt roads). Nothing that a 4600-5000 lb FJ Cruiser can't handle (modded or else the curb weight would be 4290).

When it isn't loaded correctly (box was shaved off in the front so everything heavy needs to be loaded towards the front as much as possible till I put an air compressor and generator in front of the box) it'll sway pretty bad around 60 mph.

CA-RJ

Expo Approved™
William, what did you end up using for shocks? After taking my Bantam out on its maiden trip, I find that it bounces a lot!

achampagne

Explorer
Could you please give me the dimensions on the AT fenders? I need to place mine and love the look of these but AT is out of stock! I have a buddy who owns a 4x4 shop and can fab them but I need the specs. Thanks,

SAR_Squid79

Explorer
Could you please give me the dimensions on the AT fenders? I need to place mine and love the look of these but AT is out of stock! I have a buddy who owns a 4x4 shop and can fab them but I need the specs. Thanks,

fenders.jpg

Willman

Sorry everyone....didn't see i had some hits on my thread....

William, what did you end up using for shocks? After taking my Bantam out on its maiden trip, I find that it bounces a lot!

Nothing as of yet....I air down my tires to 20-25 psi on the road.....Keeping the psi low offroad helps with the bumps..

Hello. New to the forum. I'm trying to rebuild a M-416 and am having my friend do the metal work.

What did you mean by bumping pass the object (referencing brakes). I'm trying to figure out my best suspension option here. Did you check out Adventure Trailer's kit? I e-mailed about them because I saw it on someone else's build. It's expensive but probably works really well.

Did you happen to mention where you got your axle? I saw a place in Alabama I can get some stuff for a good price.

With having brakes on the trailer....I can lockup the brakes and make the tire bump off the object instead of going over it....usually big objects that the trailer could roll.

AT sells the king of all suspension kits if you have the money and fab skills. I know they can also do the swap for you...

http://www.hendersonwheel.com/ - Great guys that are here local but will ship anywhere...

My custom M-416 bounces around in the back without weight (over some bumps on dirt roads). Nothing that a 4600-5000 lb FJ Cruiser can't handle (modded or else the curb weight would be 4290).

When it isn't loaded correctly (box was shaved off in the front so everything heavy needs to be loaded towards the front as much as possible till I put an air compressor and generator in front of the box) it'll sway pretty bad around 60 mph.

Packing your trailer right with all the weight balance is key....Having a lid plus a Eezi-Awn has been a great mod for the trailer....It helps in keeping things balanced..

Hope this helps!

;)

r_unda

Very nice build! I recently bought a bantam trailer, haven’t done much to it yet. I wish I had yours skills!

Willman

Very nice build! I recently bought a bantam trailer, haven’t done much to it yet. I wish I had yours skills!

Thanks!

It doesn't take that many skills.....Wish you luck on your project.

A trailer is sure fun to have until my lab puppy decides to snack on my trailer wiring....

:chef:

FAW3

Adventurer
Just thanks!!!

Willman...thanks for a great thread! I'm a new Bantam owner and have seen quite a few neat ideas here.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Deleman