Willys and Trailer

TedderX

Observer
Just thought I'd share this beauty and ask some questions.

Article: http://www.4wdandsportutility.com/features/jeep/0704_4wd_1951_willys_jeep_cj3/index.html

Pictures: http://www.4wdandsportutility.com/features/jeep/0704_4wd_1951_willys_jeep_cj3/photo_02.html

I have a TJ and trailer. On the trailer, I had originally planned to build a metal lid, use it to store your basic camping gear, and call it good(no RTT and all the other fancy equipment). However, I then saw this beauty of a vehicle and it got me reconsidering how I want to build my trailer.

Do you think in all practicality this design would be a good one with basically a modern twist?

Attachments

• willy.jpg
    willy.jpg
    69.2 KB · Views: 162
  • 0704_4wd_18_z+1951_willys_jeep_cj3+right_trailer_open.jpg
    0704_4wd_18_z+1951_willys_jeep_cj3+right_trailer_open.jpg
    132.5 KB · Views: 256
Last edited:

TedderX

Observer
Well here's what I'm working with. So basically just build a frame, sew a cover, couple of fold down beds off the frame. I've already got a chuck box and that good stuff I could build a shelf for.

Attachments

• DSC01287.JPG
    DSC01287.JPG
    592.3 KB · Views: 47
  • DSC01284.JPG
    DSC01284.JPG
    552.3 KB · Views: 46
  • DSC01293.JPG
    DSC01293.JPG
    596.1 KB · Views: 85

TedderX

Observer
Well, talked with my father about it and it looks like this plan is a go! :wings:

We're working on some designs right now. My trailer isn't quite long enough to put beds on either side so instead we'll be making a sort of fold down table. Also, with the top that folds up on the sides we'll be putting an extra piece that can be used as covering(especially if it rains or over night).

Does anyone know if you can buy sailcloth from Bestop? Just like sheets of it.

Also, if anyone wants to chime in on some design ideas it'd be greatly appreciated and here's your chance!

lbarcher

Adventurer
I'd look for material from a business that makes boat tops.
Getting sheets of material from Bestop might not happen.

dirty Bakers

Conservative
IMG_9065.jpg

this is what I am woorking with, I plan on making the top raise straight up instead of hinging on one side. I will also be getting it recovered with canvas as soon as I get the time to pull the old wood off.

Rockdawg350

Observer
I recently bought Sunbrella brand awning material from my local material store and had sides made for my "camp" trailer...worked out well. Just a thought

Rivera1833

I have been working on this thing for a while, I am also using sunbrella material, very good quality stuff.

Attachments

• J and B.jpg
    J and B.jpg
    23.2 KB · Views: 52
  • B- Final4.jpg
    B- Final4.jpg
    47.9 KB · Views: 63

mandm1516

Does anyone know if you can buy sailcloth from Bestop? Just like sheets of it.

I just bought some samples from this website of their silicone impregnated ripstop nylon. Waterproof and from medium weight to very very light. The very light stuff is very much like parachute material. I'm going to use it for a big tarp that can be stuffed into a pretyy small stuffsack. http://www.seattlefabrics.com/nylons.html

You can also search for silnylon, or just look at ebay for ripstop--you'll find waterproof stuff that's treated, not impregnated but about 1/2 price.

Mike

greentruck

Adventurer
Lt.,
Thanks, very nice work and gives me some ideas. I read that it holds up well to flapping in the wind on the road, which was a concern I had at first sight.

Hope the wrist is healing, too. That's the only thing I ever broke that required a cast, although my injury was thankfully not so spectacular.:)

Rivera1833

The wrist is still doing well, thanks.

Here is a cap I added to the front to stop wind and water incursion while driving.

Attachments

• IMAG0060.jpg
    IMAG0060.jpg
    957.4 KB · Views: 6

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dgollman