Winch Gurus, question for the older Warns

StumpXJ

SE Expedition Society
Guys, I stumbled upon a great deal (read: FREE) Warn 8403 Winch, that is actually in good working order. It has been sitting on a covered shelf in my Dads friends barn for about the past 2 years or so. It actually appears to be in great shape for the age, and nothing is frozen up. I hooked it to a battery and it works like a champ. It just appears to need a little TLC and elbow gease.

My Father restored his buddies CJ-7 Jeep last year, and this winch was on it. The owner didnt want the "old worn out winch" on his newly refreshed jeep so it went on the shelf. I just picked a new XRC10 smittybilt winch for him today in Atlanta, and he said I could have the old warn.

I am obviously going to get it, as its a great deal. I have plans to move my XRC8 to the rear of my XJ, and make a new bumper for the front of the XJ to accomodate this new winch. I want to restore this winch completely, especially since I dont currently have any money in it. According to Warn, all the parts are still available for it. They also say its the older version of the 8274-50.

Can anyone tell me their experience with this particular model winch? are there any significant differences between the 8403 and the 8274-50?

I didnt get any pics when I was looking at it, but I will start a re-build thread as soon as I get my hands on it.

~James

AndrewP

Explorer
Very cool. I don't know that winch, but a quick google suggests it is an early 8274. If parts are available from Warn, it would be a cool winch to rehab and put back into service. They keep lots of parts in the pipeline and their tech service is outstanding if you call. At a minimum open the case and replace the lube which is likely crudded up and rusty.

I would look to see that it isn't a Bellview (still a cool winch but with an odd external brake) and that it isn't an 8074 which was like an 8274 only it was power in and out only-no freewheel clutch like an 8274. I believe the 8074 was only available as an option on some Jeeps when they were new.

ntsqd

Heretic Car Camper
If I recall correctly there's a thread on this board somewhere about a member with a 8074.

Is this 8403 of the cable actuated switch type, or does it have relays?

Antichrist

Expedition Leader
Call Warn and ask about parts availability. I called them last week asking how to identify the age of an 8274 and the tech support guy was very helpful, and even talkative.

spencyg

This Space For Rent
I have a Warn 5687 on the front of Boomer. It looks a lot like an 8274 but has a cable actuated brake and on/off switch. It also doesn't power out mainly due to the fact that Warn used the frame as a ground instead of being able to just switch leads on the motor (not too smart). Admittedly, I bolted the winch on last fall after rebuilding the motor, and haven't had a chance to test it out. Not sure if you have something similar to this, but if you do, hold onto it. They are bombproof.

Spence

StumpXJ

SE Expedition Society

John, that is the exact same winch as far as I can tell. Even down to the mounting plate and hawse fairlead. It looks identical, big honkin relay box on the front, and huge motor on top. It has the same ratcheting mechanism on the left side as well. The only number I could read on it said 8403, and this came off of an old CJ7.

Once I get this thing in my hands, and torn apart I will give Warn a call. An email to them told me it was basically the same as the 8274, and that they still had parts for them. Thats a good thing!

How did I even miss your thread??? Whats the odds of two of these things popping to the surface on the same forum at the same time? Yours looks to be in about the same shape as mine.

~James

Last edited:

scarysharkface

Explorer
John, that is the exact same winch as far as I can tell. Even down to the mounting plate and hawse fairlead. It looks identical, big honkin relay box on the front, and huge motor on top. It has the same ratcheting mechanism on the left side as well. The only number I could read on it said 8403, and this came off of an old CJ7.

Once I get this thing in my hands, and torn apart I will give Warn a call. An email to them told me it was basically the same as the 8274, and that they still had parts for them. Thats a good thing!

How did I even miss your thread??? Whats the odds of two of these things popping to the surface on the same forum at the same time? Yours looks to be in about the same shape as mine.

~James

Cool. My recollection is that that is an excellent piece of equipment.

I need to research a cheaper way to mount mine to my '09 Wrangler Unlimited. $400+ for a single piece of steel mounting plate seems a bit $$$ to me, and I've already got tow hooks..

Take lots of pics of whatever you do to restore/refresh it, so I have some clue what I'm getting myself into please!

John

Antichrist

Expedition Leader
I need to research a cheaper way to mount mine to my '09 Wrangler Unlimited. $400+ for a single piece of steel mounting plate seems a bit $$$ to me, and I've already got tow hooks.
I don't know what your bumper is like, by my Series Land Rover just has a 'U' channel bumper so I welded a plate to the back of it, cut a slot to match the fairlead, and mounted my 8274 to it. I welded in sleeves for the lower two bolts so they wouldn't compress the bumper.

scarysharkface

Explorer
I don't know what your bumper is like, by my Series Land Rover just has a 'U' channel bumper so I welded a plate to the back of it, cut a slot to match the fairlead, and mounted my 8274 to it. I welded in sleeves for the lower two bolts so they wouldn't compress the bumper.

I'll have to get the whole mess apart and see what it's going to take. I like the notion of a heavy steel plate for stiffness. It might be a couple of months before I can get to it though, after I'm back from our June vacation in Utah.. :(

John

StumpXJ

SE Expedition Society
Redrocker, thats what I was thinking too... thanks for stepping up to take care of my trashy parts....be sure to wait by your mail box for that package! :victory:

I will pick up the winch this weekend, but it will be a little while before I can mess with it. We just put in an offer on a house here in Decatur/Atlanta GA yesterday (the economy may be in shambles, but as a home buyer right now I couldn be more happy) , as we are in the process of moving back here from Europe. All of my tools and shop equipment are on a boat somewhere between Georgia and Europe...LOL.

~James

galen216

Adventurer
I took a look at my 8274 last night and I have the same # on top 8403. So this is indeed an 8274. I can't believe the owner would not want this on their Jeep. I wouldn't take 4 of those Smitty built winches for my 8274.

FYI, I took mine apart in about 2 hours one night and rebuilt it in another 2 the next night. It is so simple to work with it'll blow your mind. I don't have the link right now but there are good write ups on i hate mud.

Warn makes a universal mount for this winch too. If it is being mounted to a flat surface it works great.

Attachments

• DixonBate2.jpg
    DixonBate2.jpg
    65.5 KB · Views: 52
  • DixonBate3.jpg
    DixonBate3.jpg
    76 KB · Views: 45

StumpXJ

SE Expedition Society
Yeah, he is in his late 60's, and this is just his play vehicle. It will never see a dirt road, much less anything needing a winch. He just wanted a new shiny winch, not the old nasty looking one on it. Believe it or not, I had to talk him out of putting an ATV winch on this thing.... some people.

No complaints from me though. :victory:

~James

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vertical.dan