Winch Recommendations

moosetags

I'm shopping a winch for the new truck/truck camper, and I am looking for input from the group. I want a winch to use in the front and rear receivers of the truck. The two I am looking at are the Warn XD9000i Portable and the Ramsey QM9000. They both have generally the same capabilities and are very price competitive. I guess that I'm leaning toward the Ramsey because it is US made as opposed to the made in China Warn.

Brian

jeep-N-montero

Expedition Leader
You want to try and winch a 6k vehicle with a 9k winch? Oh boy, please read up on winching before you hurt someone or something. You should be looking at a 12k winch.

jomobco

Now Decanter
Or carry a snatch block. And I've always read 1.5 times vehicle weight. Remember you're not lifting the vehicle up a wall (usually). It's a rolling weight pull most of the time. My HS9500 has pulled my 5500 lb YJ up a few steep inclines no problem.

Last edited:

Rezarf <><

Explorer
Or carry a snatch block. And I've always read 1.5 times vehicle weight. Remember you're not lifting the vehicle up a wall (usually). It's a rolling weight pull most of the time. My HS9500 has pulled my 5500 lb YJ up a few steep inclines no problem.

I agree... sort of ;)

A good snatch block and knowing how to use a winch properly will get you out of most situations if you have a running engine and power still.

However, if you can afford a 12k... you will be bettering your odds of a clean extraction when you really really need it. The low profile winches are great for mounting to a transportable receiver hitch mount. FWIW, I have enjoyed Warns customer service and products, I have no personal experience with Ramsey.

Now, one more thing to consider is if you are not planning on using one often, then I think I would go for the one that costs a little less and still has a reputation for quality, regardless of the "brand."

One thing I am sure I would advise you in a portable winch is synthetic cable, the weight difference between steel cable and the synthetic stuff is enough benifit alone to use it! It also floats, doesn't kink, is field repairable quickly, and is much safer to work around. Its a no brainer and worth the extra $$$ in my opinion.

moosetags

Thanks for all the great info. Please keep it coming.

As far as my interest in a receiver mounted winch, I was trying to get the most flexibility with being able to use it at the rear of the TC, also.

My new truck/TC combo is going to tip the scales somewhere north of 10,000#, and the biggest winches that I am seeing are in the 12 to 15,000# rating. I don't know if there is anything out there that is double my gross weight.

What I am looking to have is some winch assistance if I need it. The couple of times that we have gotten the 4wd Suburban stuck was in a mud hole and off into a ditch in snow pack. Both times I have been able to extricate myself with a combination of tire deflation, digging, and rocking. Both times, I think that a winch would have done the trick as there were plenty of trees close by.

Brian

Tennmogger

Explorer
It's interesting that over the years the "absolutely required" winch capability just keeps creeping upward. Physics must have changed. Not too many years ago a 6000 lb vehicle could be winched out with even a 2500 lb pull winch. But, that required some planning and a little prep work with a shovel or axe, as called for. The winching method today is to use brute strength and as little labor as possible.

BTW, not too many of today's 6000 lb vehicles can tolerate the pull of a 12k lb winch, much less with a snatch block and a trailer hitch installation.

Bob

X-plorenow

Adventurer
This brings up another question that I had. The new Talon winches seem fantastic, but what is up with the SR series? $500 premium for synthetic rope? That's even more than Viking or Master Pull! quite a bit more actually.:Wow1:

Frankspinz

Adventurer
You might want to look into hydraulic winches. I have no experience or specific knowledge on them - but I'd give them serious consideration if I drove a heavier rig...

I know Warn and Mile Marker has them ...

mrchips

Adventurer
receiver mounted winch is great to move it front to the back if you need it, but remember that if you need to do a side pull you do not have the strength in your mounting system as you would have with winch mounted on a bumper.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taunger