Winch solenoid relocation - let's see yours

01tundra

Explorer
Really? That's the first I've ever heard of that, mines been plugged in for about 3 yrs with no problems. I only energize the winch when I plan on using it though. I rode with Warn reps and engineers while on the Ultimate Adventures and they never said anything about it, as a matter of fact, they helped me out with all the parts required to wire the second plug in parallel so I wouldnt have to get under the hood to unplug the wireless remote. Mines worked perfect this long so I'll just take my chances..........

I imagine it's a CYA in case some random signal was picked up and tried to energize the winch? In my case all that would do is pull in the solenoids, but no power would be on the contact side to energize the winch unless I was in the rig anyways.

*Edit - Yep, just like I figured.......it's on the first page of the instructions under all the CYA warning info under the "MOVING PARTS ENTANGLEMENT HAZARD" heading -

"Never leave wired remote control plugged into
winch when free spooling, rigging, or when the
winch is not being used."

I talked to someone that said that it's possible that the controller "could" pick up rogue signal and run your battery down. If mine ever has picked up a random signal it's flying under my radar since my rig is daily driven and has dual Optimas. Anyways, your Warn rep is technically correct......call me crazy but I'll contiue to live on the edge for years to come, but I've been warned (no pun intended) :)!

Last edited:

LandCruiserSteve

Like most everyone else, I stashed mine under the hood.

P5130158-1.jpg

Antichrist

Expedition Leader
I've been considering an Albright for some time, but I can't bring myself to rely on their low current capacity. 100% duty cycle is only 100amps (unless you spend $300 for the 250amp capacity model) and drops significantly as amperage increases.
For example, the one that Warn uses only has about 100 second rating at 350amps, which is a 6000lb load on an 8274. About long enough to pull the load 15 feet.

I know a lot of people use them, but, like recovery gear, I prefer capacities that exceed my potential needs so for now I'll stay with my old style 200 amp solenoids as I don't see the cost/benefit of the Albrights. But I'm keeping an open mind :sombrero:

Dave Bennett

Adventurist
I cannot tell from your last pic, but...

I just called WARN to get more info on this wireless controller. One thing that the rep was adamant about is that the wireless box should not be plugged into the solenoid except when using the winch.

Like others, I'll take my chances :ylsmoke:

Expedition Leader
For those of you with the Warn winches, are they still using the four-pack of solenoids for their winches?
If so, when you relocate your solenoid pack you may want to consider going with one of these instead.
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/SPW-90-14452/
One will replace the four pack and they are MUCH less prone to failing. They are also sealed units and much smaller than the Warn boxes.

Did the same thing for the Warn 8274 winch on my Land Cruiser, for the same reasons, only I did not care about having it in the engine compartment so I just put it under the stock solenoid cover:

IMG_0776.jpg

IMG_0781.jpg

IMG_0785.jpg

fishEH

Explorer
These are the wires coming off the back of my Warn socket:

01352300.jpg

The black wire says "MOTOR GROUND". Does this really go to the blue connection on the Albright?

Hmmm, looks like your wires are colored differently than mine. The Motor Ground will go to the Black terminal. You'll have to figure out which wires are for winch in/out and connect them to the Blue and Yellow terminals. U

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clearwater