Winch Solenoid (superwinch)

mikeJKUR

Adventurer
I recently purchased a Superwinch Tigershark 9500 winch that was on sale. The problem I am having is the I also have a recessed winch bumper and can not mount the winch with the control box mounted on the side.

I have the remote cables but the are only 20" long so I can't mount the box under the hood with way I got and I don't want to sped any more money on this winch.
I took some pictures of the control box and it looks like to me the box does nothing. The box is open at the bottom. The solenoids appear to be sealed.

My question is cover Necessary? Could I mount the solenoid not cover next to the radiator behind the grill?

If I can't I may return or it or sell it and get a winch with a Control box on top. It is still setting new in the box.

psykokid

Explorer
You can just remove the contactor and bus bars and then run heavy gauge wiring from the contactor to the winch. Mounting it behind the grille should be fine, just get boots to cover the terminals on the winch and the contactor. The giglepin guys run the same albright style contactor mounted on the ends of their winch motors which are open to the elements. The sealed albright contactors are great. I have one I picked up to replace the solenoid pack that originally came on my warn M8000

AFBronco235

Crew Chief
Try to keep the box. In fact, when you close it up, add some silicone RTV to the seams to help keep all moister out of there and prevent contact corrosion and shorts. If even a little moister gets in there, it will stay trapped and really work its damage on the smaller contacts.

If I understand your main problem, its that you're having trouble finding a mounting point for the box. Without knowing the vehicle, its difficult to offer any advice, but most of us mount the boxes off the winch anyways. Mine is mounted behind the bumper on the same plate as the winch. Close enough to run wires to both winch and batteries and still be protected.

mikeJKUR

Adventurer
Thanks for the replies guys. I also contacted superwinch and they said the box is not needed since the solenoid is sealed.
I have a 2014 Jeep wrangler Rubicon. I installed the Superwinch Tiger Shark 9500 SR in my TJM bumper and relocated the solenoid and plug undr the hood.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Breezy78