winch - yeah or nah?

Ke2427

Personally I'm a YES for a winch, especially when travelling alone.

Balanced with route selection, lockers, a Shovel, traction boards, then finally some winching. As many have said it's insurance

Next comment is for fun....... I've also used my winch for...pulling stumps / trees at home, pulling precaious trees away from properties before using a chain saw, tensioning tree house ladders and zip lines for kids, setting up improvised slack lines in areas with no trees etc. Etc etc....

so I say get one and also get some training too

kdeleon

Observer
And those two times are the reason to have one….
I read my post and realized i made it sound like i didnt need it since i only usednit 2x for self recovery. Quite the contrary, i go solo and go places where winch may be needed.

OP doesnt sound like me so if he exercise his common sense (implying i dont lol), a winch is not needed. Majority of the vehicles you see in the backcountry dont have winches, they are doing just fine.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Reactions: bkg

aknightinak

Not to mention a remote extraction will likely pay for a couple winches!!

In my experience, just one, but it would have been a really nice Warn, and it was just a common Harbor Freight 10k, not even the Apex line, that did the job. I still haven't picked up one for this rig, though. A thread in another subforum here recently piqued my interest in the Bush WInch. I like how it basically sets up a bridled pull, and the big con of having to wallow around in goo to fix them to the wheels doesn't seem any different than having to wallow around in goo to free and hook up cable. The bigger question for me is what to carry for an anchor. More than not, when I've needed to winch, I've also needed to set something to pull from.

Fishenough

Creeper
even as a safety rope when working on the roof (car on the opposite side of the house, dyneema rope over the roof, attached to a proper harness). One of the best investments ever.

Great idea and a new winch will have a wireless remote. You might have changed my mind on a winch, my house is 3 stories tall with 45 deg pitch, I've hired people for small job I could have done myself.

I've had a portable winch for years, it takes up a lot of room in the landcrusier but was worth it for the couple times it pulled me back out of the trouble I got into. For me it was the best choice, I travel solo at most times on roads my friends don't follow because these heavily overgrown west coast forestry roads will pinstripe a vehicle. That's just me, more often I need to be pulled back not forward as the if the British Columbia or Yukon road doesn't go further its time to turn around. But yes in camping mode there is no room for a hitch winch

jbaucom

Have you considered a Tirfor or similar cable puller? No maintenance, light weight, works when your battery doesn't or your truck is on its side, etc. etc..
They can cost nearly as much as a winch and mount, take up cargo space, and you have to stand right by the loaded cable when in use.

I considered a Tirfor or Wyeth-Scott with synthetic rope, but the price was up there with some winches. I believe a winch with an economical tray or hidden mount to be the single most cost effective piece of self-recovery equipment after a shovel, and it takes up no cargo space and will never be left at home.

AggieOE

Trying to escape the city
I’d consider a multi mount. Get a front receiver and keep the winch out of the weather when not needed, and use it front or rear.

Although I didn't do this, this is probably the best route. That way you don't have to modify the suspension or affect DD characteristics.

Metcalf

Expedition Leader
I like the old adage, Lockers just get you stuck further from home, and winch gets you back.

While I love having both, the talent tank will run out eventually, and you will need a winch.....or a friend to with a winch....or a friend to act like a winch. If you haven't been stuck, I'm sorry, but you are not really pushing your limits or the vehicles to expand your skills in my opinion.

toddz69

Explorer
I 'wheeled for over 30 years without a winch and we never found ourselves needing one. Then about 10 years I ago decided to buy a winch. Was I reading too much on Expo? Who knows....so I bought a winch and installed it. Never used it.

Then last month I was leading a run with friends when a call came on the radio, "Sam just rolled his Bronco". It took two of us with 8-9K winches to get him on his wheels and going again. I'm very grateful I had my winch that day and I know my friend is too.

You never need it - until you do.

Todd Z.

Fishenough

Creeper
And in the sidetrack to technology and expense.... lets not forget the obvious almost free solution.... a shovel.
Was driving to Holberg this Friday, slowed near the summit to allow a new super duty truck to pass. 5 mins later on a wet snow covered downhill he had plowed into the ditch. His Geolandar MT tires looked new; he couldn't stop he told me but I did easily to ask him if he was alright.
ee17d98bdfd76df81802be458a690488.jpg
69e66500779b3dbb0b241abdf3017fb6.jpg

Sent from my SM-G981W using Tapatalk

Fishenough

Creeper
I'm thinking pic 2 is not the one you intended but I really want to know where it was taken because I overland to find these beaches.
It was on the same trip. Embrassed young guy had his co workers behind him with 2 trucks and straps; I was 2 shy to take a picture of this young man's truck. I have a road radio and of course heard his call out. That's the beach between Cape Palmerston and Raft Cove.

We've 2 have overland exploring beaches since the 70s, Vancouver Island has many that have yet to be shared on social media but take a bit more work to get 2.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Deleman