winding winch line

BurbanAZ

Explorer
i have an engo 12k winch on my suburban, ive used it a ton of times, some really hard pulls, i seem to end up using it atleast a few times a month usually, always done great. I have the steel cable and its such a pain in the butt to wind the freakin thing even. Does anyone have a trick to winding? does steel cable have to be pretty even without criss crossing at all? its such a pain i was considering going to synth line because thats supposed to load criss crossed but i dont want to lose the abrasion resistance of the steel, also i live in the desert so it would have alot of sun and heat exposure and ive heard that isnt good for synth rope.

Glenn-BJ74

Winch cable should be rewound with a significant amount of tension, otherwise the line will be pulled between the lower coils. The proper amount of tension can't be done by rewinding by hand. The best way is is hook the cable to a tree on level ground and use the vehicle's rolling resistance to recoil the line tightly on the drum. This takes two people.

Few people do this and that is why often you see damaged winch cables (e.g. hairpin loops), including being unable to free wheel the drum because the winch line is pinched under the upper coils.

mowerman

Adventurer
Winch cable should be rewound with a significant amount of tension, otherwise the line will be pulled between the lower coils. The proper amount of tension can't be done by rewinding by hand. The best way is is hook the cable to a tree on level ground and use the vehicle's rolling resistance to recoil the line tightly on the drum. This takes two people.
Definately the best way if you can...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CUASH4rENEc

Antichrist

Expedition Leader
There wa/is and Australian company that sold a winch that has thing on it that would guide the rope to correctly wind it on. DAP sold them, for a while at least.

Antichrist

Expedition Leader
Same principle, though on the winch DAP sold it was, I believe, a worm drive mechanism connected to the drum drive that was always in play, even while winching.

E

ExpeditionBound

As for wire....

Rewinding wire cable with 2 people? or a tree?

Regardless if this is the "official method"....its rediculous, especially when you have a 4x4 fully loaded for a weeklong trip,
buried in clay to the floorboards on an incline, while winching to the only tree 50ft to the right at 2 oclock.

This isnt going to spool-in anyway how it should and is probably going to stack up on one side of the drum with lots
of boogered criss crosses.

So with that kind of stress on the wire, what is the point in "filing your fingernails" and making sure there isnt ONE
criss cross or hair out of place when respooling.

Unless you are going to a photoshoot, why.
People practically give away wire rope these days, so trying to make the cable last 20 years is extreme.

As for synthetic...

Synthetic rope life is shorter of course. But the performance should obviously outweigh the cons. Weight, safety, grabbing bundles
of rope and not worring about jaggers, etc, blah.

The 10ft rock rash sleeve is signficant enough UV protection for me. When spooled up with the rash guard the sun doesnt shine on
my rope at all.

In my opinion, the health of your winchline should be compared to rock climbing.
There is a certain amount of falls that each rope is rated to withstand. Beyond those limits the rope is compromised and should be retired.

The way you put your rope in the closet is irrelevant.

E

ExpeditionBound

Im sure that Warn is correct by stating that 500lbs of tension is needed on the spool. Its probably the first thing they ask when you
try to redeem their warranty.
Also, funny how Warn winch sales arent through the roof anymore. (Sorry Warn Vendors)

And do the math. When you first start winching you probably pull 5-10 wraps of 500+ tension before the vehicle even budges.
So why would you do this BEFORE the pull.

I have a 50/50 Daily Driver/Offroad truck. My winch gets regular use, its not a prop like most.

Myself and another truck just succeeded in recovering a Mitsubishi 4x4 100ft from the bottom of a cliff in Capitol forest,
by using a triple line pull via Warn M9500i (wire) and a double pull via Superwinch Terra 4500.
Also used was 60 ft of chain, 100ft of wire extension, 2-20ft tow straps (anchors), 10 bow shackles, 2 chainsaws and a 12 pack of Alaskan Amber.

I spooled 80 ft of line completely off my drum. Some sythetic doesnt have a screw at the end like wire or even attach to the drum. You just use a "pinch wrap" on the drum.
I respooled 6 wraps and maybe 50lbs pressure.

The other truck with 110ft of wire spooled out with 5 wraps left had no problem, because the following 10 wraps was most likely 500lbs +/- slack weight
in the system.

After all said and done. Neither of us respooled our trucks while attached to trees, using 2 people, or lumber.

Yes I did my best to not make my drum look like a Robins nest but only with minimal tension, while thinking the whole time of the irony, that hours prior I started posting on this silly tread about winch etiquette... thats probably scarying people away from buying or using their winches then doing good.

bmxer06pa

Adventurer
ExpeditionBound You seem like you are completely missing the point. Everyone realizes that when you are using your winch it does not get spooled back up neatly. This thread is about what to do afterwards. My winch looks like a birds nest of line after I use it since I am generally in the drivers seat. When I am home I unspool my line, wash it, let it dry, and neatly respool it on a slight incline. I'm sure you use your winch to do some awesome recoveries on the trail, but that dosent mean you can't come home and straighten it up.

BurbanAZ

Explorer
cool thanks for all the input guys, i wasnt using any tension really to spool it just pulling tenion with my hands and maybe that was the issue i was having. I dont take time to make it pretty when im out on trails because the last things i want to do after shoveling and winching for a long time is screw with getting the line perfect. When im back home though and the truck is clean and ready for a nother trip id like to straighten everyting out so i dont pinch a bunch of my cable.

E

ExpeditionBound

Ha. Also while winding up winch line dont forget to study the manuals on brake light fluid.

Dont stress over my ignorance, Ive removed myself from the forum and transitioned to pirate4x4.

Ta Ta

bmxer06pa

Adventurer
Ha. Also while winding up winch line dont forget to study the manuals on brake light fluid.

Dont stress over my ignorance, Ive removed myself from the forum and transitioned to pirate4x4.

Ta Ta
Oh thanks now I understand how much of a bad *** you are. Sorry to question your sweet pirate knowledge.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taunger