Window area Storage Solutions

madmax718

Explorer
Im sure Im not the first one to ask this question (or... am I?)

In most modern cars, the windows and door cards are about 2-3 inches away from the actual glass. This space is usually reserved for a few things:

1. providing a view outside (which is useless since most of us pack all the way up, so that you can't use your rear view mirror anyways)
2. Collecting dust
3. provide an area where when you are overpacked, you start stuffing sleeping bags, clothing, towels, etc in that area.

Im thinking about making a pack that fits in that area.

Anyone have any thoughts? It may not fit too much, but certainly something like swim trunks, bathing suits, might be useful, rather than being tucked at the bottom of some bag somewhere.

southpier

Expedition Leader
stretch a cargo net thingie across it (headliner to sill direction - guess it's vertical!). might not look too good from the outside though.

madmax718

Explorer
ya, that would work, but I want the whole pack to be movable.. not just a bunch of socks and underwear sticking out of it. :)

shmabs

Explorer
For my third gen 4runner, a laptop bag fits perfectly, and while not huge will be a welcome addition. I'm still undecided as to how it will be mounted, I'm thinking a set of steel tube uprights that can be easily unbolted. I will be interested to see what you come up with.

Mike

762X39

Explorer
For my third gen 4runner, a laptop bag fits perfectly, and while not huge will be a welcome addition. I'm still undecided as to how it will be mounted, I'm thinking a set of steel tube uprights that can be easily unbolted. I will be interested to see what you come up with.

Mike
May I suggest that whatever you come up with that it not "look" like a laptop bag up against the glass. MEC has all kinds of zippered bags that would work and a cargo net could be used to hold it in place.:coffee:

shmabs

Explorer
Good advice, I hadn't really thought about that! On the plus side my rear windows are tinted pretty dark so hopefully it wouldn't attract too much attention.

Mike

madmax718

Explorer
Ya, a laptop bag is a little too... "steal me."

I ordered some super strong suction cups. Lets see how this works out!

dtc81

Observer
I actually just built this yesterday to hang some MOLLE bags/pouches in my 99 4Runner. I only plan to hang a few pounds of first aid gear and some odds and ends, but it's very sturdy.

Attachments

• molle mount.jpg
    molle mount.jpg
    548.9 KB · Views: 143

dtc81

Observer
Here's a picture with a few Condor pouches I just scored on Craigslist!

Attachments

• bags.jpg
    bags.jpg
    118.1 KB · Views: 122

madmax718

Explorer
That looks like standard rack grate for like... store displays.

Looks like someone is into mtn biking and climbing.. and appropriating double mag pouches for bug spray. lol. Did you just remove the whole trim to mount it?

dtc81

Observer
It sure is that standard steel mesh, but actually out of a divider from a work van. You nailed the biking thing too! I work at a bike shop and spend as much free time as possible riding any of my various bikes!

I removed the window panel, fastened the brackets to the window pinch weld with some self tapping screws/loctite, and notched the panel to fit around the brackets.

Dennx

Adventurer
I was looking at my rear windows while at the FJ Summit and was wondering how I could utilize this same space in my FJ. I wonder if I could use several strong suction cups to mount a similar grid to hang stuff or bags.

Last edited:

dtc81

Observer
I don't see why you couldn't Dennx. I use a suction cup RAM mount for my Iphone on my dash and it has yet to fall off....It's been on there for over 5 months.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mitch Bears