Windshield Wiper, what do you use? Wipers blades

Cackalak Han

Explorer
Last two words were so that others could search for it better. I couldn't come up with anything here.

Anyway, I have been using OEM blades (and also Autozone inserts--Anco?). They usually last about a few months (with minimal use) and the streaking, chattering starts to emerge. I have been intrigued by the Valeo wiper blades on Tirerack (buy one get one free right now). Anyone tried these? The bad thing is that you have to replace the whole assembly instead of being able to just swap out the blade refill.

I also want to try out this stuff called Aquapel. It's similar to Rain-x, but some online reviews say that it works better. Perhaps a combo between this and just regular blades will do the trick.

I am sitting here about to order 2 sets of Valeo wipers for $50 shipped from Tirerack, but wondering if it'll just be a waste of money.

EDIT: Ok, ordered 1 set of the Valeo Ultimate Wipers from Tirerack. (~$29 shipped for 2 blades). I guess we'll see how they hold up.

Last edited:

offroad_nomad

Adventurer
I switched over to Silblades too after reading the EE info a year or so ago. They do a great job.

tdesanto said:
I use these. I'm on my third year with the same blades. I've never been able to say that before these.

ntsqd

Heretic Car Camper
Here on the lower left coast where wiper blades die of ozone attack faster than they wear out. I get a year, sometimes two out of Bosch inserts.

No idea about Aquapel, but Rain-X distinctly dislikes using the wipers. They will chatter like mad if you've gotten the Rain-X coat put on well. I've found that when fresh Rain-X rarely needs the wipers in rain above ~40 mph.

Last edited:

Cackalak Han

Explorer
Thanks guys. I've seen these recommended on some other sites. Do you guys use the Silicone grease or Silbead window treatment they recommend? Also, do you guys have the regular Silblade, Flexblade, or Ultra Silblade?

tdesanto

Expedition Leader
I think I just have the regular silblades. I was not aware, at the time I got these, that there were different models...maybe they've only come out in the last year or two?

Also, I used the silicon treatment that my wipers came with (they came with a single application) when I installed them. Now I just use Rain-X every once in a while whenever I remember to apply it. But, I don't think it's really needed that often with these blades.

Beowulf

Expedition Leader
I really like the Bosch Excel blades. With any other blade I have used there seems to be micro fine particles of water left on the windshield. Some how the Bosch just rips the water right off the glass as if it never rained. Truly amazing blades. With these blades I have not found a need for Rain X.

I have never used the sillblades but from their following I would imagine they are the same.

FourByLand

Expedition Leader
Silblades

3 years through the winters of Colorado the humidity of Tennessee the dryness of Arizona and now the deserts of California.

No treatment or anything this will be the only blade I purchase.

S

Scenic WonderRunner

I use........ the El Cheapo Wal~Mart Wipers!

It Never rains in California..........so I don't care!

They have lasted me 4+ years so far......and are going strong!

I'm not a brand name kinda guy!

Generic Rules!

It's made by da brand names anyway!

There are no secrets anymore!

Wal~Mart......does Not make wiper blades!

The key is.............!

Use the Bug Wash.....with Rain~X in your washer fluid!!!!!!!!!!!!!.....:costumed-smiley-007 :friday:

Dude!..........Sweet!

Rain X on the windshield and in the wiper tank, with a set of PIAAs that have lasted five or six years (gotta take off time for when I'm building rather than driving).

A lot of it is how you care for the wipers, less so what brand or surface treatment. Get a quality blade and take care of it, and it'll last years. Mostly that's things like keeping the windshield clean, and using the blades to move water, not remove bugs, break ice or push snow.

-Sean

tdesanto

Expedition Leader
Beowulf said:
I really like the Bosch Excel blades. With any other blade I have used there seems to be micro fine particles of water left on the windshield. Some how the Bosch just rips the water right off the glass as if it never rained. Truly amazing blades. With these blades I have not found a need for Rain X.

I have never used the sillblades but from their following I would imagine they are the same.

These sound great...curious, how often do you find yourself having to replace them?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Deleman