Winter set up and modifications

dubboy2707

As it is that time of year again. What have / are everyone's winter set up or modifications to help you along the way in these cold and snowy months. Show us some pictures in winter mode.

Happy Joe

Apprentice Geezer
Since its nearly December already, I did the fall/winter setup a month ago...
Checked all filters, hoses, belts, wipers and fluids,
Greased chassis,
Checked the air pressure in the tires (need to check it again since we just had a big temperature drop... 20F...-7C... (brisk/normal) this morning).
I don't use snow/winter tires because there usually isn't all that much snow, locally, at 6,000 feet in the foothills (and I grew up driving in semi arctic conditions)... up until last spring my daily driver and go to snow vehicle was a 2wd Ford Ranger pickup the current 4WD will make driving in the slop even easier...

...I have noticed that the weather is a bit cooler than normal on your side of the pond... even a bit of snow .

Enjoy!

dubboy2707

Yes it has dropped in temperature over this side of the pond over the last week. Was -1c this morning which always makes a noise diesel cold start rumble. We are expecting some snow over the next week or so hopefully so I can test out the Cross Golf. Currently looking for some new tyres to replace the summer tyres on it. Really want some ATs but struggling to find any tyre dealer wanting to give me any help or information. May have to go with taller winter tyres.

java

Expedition Leader
Tire pressures and wiper blades so far. I need to get the underside cleaned up a bit and spray some fluid film on it.

37655173934_bea49d2b01_h.jpg

cdthiker

Meandering Idaho
New wipers, new cooper AT3 tires that I will run for a bit longer then switch over to my studded Hankooks. I live at 5,000 feet in the mountains of Idaho. It gets gold and we get a lot of snow. The plows dont even hit the the road unless there is 4 or more inches.

Anything that is not the highway or a hill on a school bus route is hardpack snow and ice for most of the winter.

It was as good as a time as any so in the last few months I also did new serpintine belt. Coolant flush, and new clutch fluid and brake fluid flush. Spark plugs to come soon.

Also plan on a new leaf pack in the back and shock all the way around. The frost heaves out here are brutal.

Tossed the chains and tow straps in the back of the truck along with the shovel sleeping back and about 300 pounds of sand.

The best mod and or prep ?
Put a set of the new rigid " SAE/DOT" legal " fog" lights on the bumper of my tacoma. These are like having a second set of low beams. Truely fantastic. For those who drive in the snow you know all about the starwars effect. When the snow gets bad I turn off my low beams and just run the rigids. They are awesome. Wide beam. Same better distance then the low beams. Lights up the ditches so I CAN DODGE THE DAMN DEER and are pretty nice in the fog too.

Still debating a block heater and or an oil pan heater. the truck has 112k on it. -20 degree morning starts are not uncommon.

dubboy2707

New wipers, new cooper AT3 tires that I will run for a bit longer then switch over to my studded Hankooks. I live at 5,000 feet in the mountains of Idaho. It gets gold and we get a lot of snow. The plows dont even hit the the road unless there is 4 or more inches.

Anything that is not the highway or a hill on a school bus route is hardpack snow and ice for most of the winter.

It was as good as a time as any so in the last few months I also did new serpintine belt. Coolant flush, and new clutch fluid and brake fluid flush. Spark plugs to come soon.

Also plan on a new leaf pack in the back and shock all the way around. The frost heaves out here are brutal.

Tossed the chains and tow straps in the back of the truck along with the shovel sleeping back and about 300 pounds of sand.

The best mod and or prep ?
Put a set of the new rigid " SAE/DOT" legal " fog" lights on the bumper of my tacoma. These are like having a second set of low beams. Truely fantastic. For those who drive in the snow you know all about the starwars effect. When the snow gets bad I turn off my low beams and just run the rigids. They are awesome. Wide beam. Same better distance then the low beams. Lights up the ditches so I CAN DODGE THE DAMN DEER and are pretty nice in the fog too.

Still debating a block heater and or an oil pan heater. the truck has 112k on it. -20 degree morning starts are not uncommon.

Really like the Cooper AT3s. I am currently mounting my E marked light bar to the roof bars today. Added my get me home bag also . Wish we had snow like that here. Here in England people cant cope with snow on the roads and everything grinds to a halt. I have no issue with driving and traveling in the snow but others in the UK just cant drive and dump there cars at the side of the road.

Last edited:

Happy Joe

Apprentice Geezer
Added my get me home bag also . Wish we had snow like that here. Here in England people cant cope with snow on the roads and everything grinds to a halt. I have no issue with driving and traveling in the snow but others in the UK just cant drive and dump there cars at the side of the road.

Locally, its best to stay off the roads for the first couple of snow storms... after that the people who think snow means they have to slide into the ditch and each other, mostly, have it out of their systems...
Occasionally the streets turn into a skating rink though...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qJFMywIKzSI

Enjoy!

Theprofessional

Silent Footfalls
I change nothing. I would say I just bring extra socks but even in the summer I'm liable to be caught in a monsoon and a cold night so there's already extra socks.

Thirty-Nine

Explorer
We have 20 degree (F) bags and add a liner to them. We took our Delica out for a cold-weather trip a couple weeks ago. A Little Buddy Heater fits perfectly in the tray between the seats, so we'd preheat the cabin for 15 minutes before turning in. We also make sure to crack a window for ventilation and moisture relief.

Oh, and hand warmers! We toss a couple into our bags; keeps us toasty warm. Also great for jacket pockets.

dubboy2707

Locally, its best to stay off the roads for the first couple of snow storms... after that the people who think snow means they have to slide into the ditch and each other, mostly, have it out of their systems...
Occasionally the streets turn into a skating rink though...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qJFMywIKzSI

Enjoy!

If only people over here would adopt the same way of thinking to stay off the roads. We had our first of the snow last night and the amount of people already having trouble was unbelievable.

Wow that video is that from where you live?

dubboy2707

We have 20 degree (F) bags and add a liner to them. We took our Delica out for a cold-weather trip a couple weeks ago. A Little Buddy Heater fits perfectly in the tray between the seats, so we'd preheat the cabin for 15 minutes before turning in. We also make sure to crack a window for ventilation and moisture relief.

Oh, and hand warmers! We toss a couple into our bags; keeps us toasty warm. Also great for jacket pockets.

Delcia. I would love a Delcia perfect combination for me with two small children and wanting to get outdoors etc.

These solid fuel hand warmers are worth there weight in gold.

robert

Expedition Leader
It doesn't get too cold here but double check PMs including hoses, wiper blades, etc. Make sure flashlight batteries are good along with spares, make sure there is a spare fuel cartidge for the Jetboil, tea, water, etc. Makes sure there are wool gloves, socks, hat and proper footwear in the truck. For longer trips, especially off the main roads, I usually make sure there is a wool blanket or sleeping bag in the cab and I generally add a little extra recovery equipment.

Thirty-Nine

Explorer
Delcia. I would love a Delcia perfect combination for me with two small children and wanting to get outdoors etc.

These solid fuel hand warmers are worth there weight in gold.

So far, the Delica is great!

As for solid fuel hand warmers, I couldn't agree more. I just can't believe it took me 39 years to actually start using them—and I grew up in a cold climate. Where have these been all my life? :p

Happy Joe

Apprentice Geezer
Wow that video is that from where you live?
It was a ways north in Colorado Springs, Colorado; If the full video was still on line; it showed a couple of cars with antilock brakes or maybe traction control successfully (impressively) navigating the hill... in reality the hill is a bit steeper than the video shows...
Here's one from Russia that I just saw on one of the UK news sites (Edit: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/ushome/index.html )...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mm-j7s4aUjc
Enjoy!

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JCCB1998