Winterizing the fresh water system

kerry

Expedition Leader
I've owned a number of motorhomes over the years. Most had the standard system for winterization system which used a diverter valve before the pump which when turned, shut off the main water tank and allowed the pump to suck in antifreeze from a bottle. I never liked those systems. I think the antifreeze sitting in the lines over the winter causes the drinking water to taste bad. I recently owned a Bluebird Wanderlodge with air brakes and suspension. It's winterizing system diverted the air pressure from the brakes/suspension and thru the water lines, blowing them out. I now own a Northstar/Texson TS1000. It had the diverter valve/antifreeze system when I bought it. So, I removed the suction hose from the diverter valve and replaced it with a 1/4" male air quick disconnect. I now just hook up my small 12 volt compressor to the quick connect, activate the diverter valve and blow out all the lines. Quick, easy and no anti-freeze sitting in the lines.

pods8

Explorer
On our little systems you can also slope everything back to the tank and just drain that. Easiest of all.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior