Wiring questions for wiring a shell/topper/canopy...

gsanders

Observer
I also posted this in the Full Size forum but I wanted to open it up to others with truck topper/shell/canopy experience.

Okay, so I have spent several hours reading various posts on EP and on other websites about wiring into the bed of a truck for various attachments, but I was hoping to get some vehicle specific advice and/or recommendations. I just purchased a 2001 Dodge CTD and it comes with two batteries. I also purchased a topper/shell/canopy that needs new lights inside and it needs to be wired. I also plan on building a sleeping deck. With all of that in mind, what would be the best wiring solution?

For lighting, after reading on here I am planning to use some of the LED strip lighting in the canopy. My hope is to install a switch to make it usable even if the truck is off. I figure the amperage draw should not draw down the dual batteries enough to have an effect, but am I right? In my former truck, the dome light was wired to the parking lights which I didn't like because you couldn't turn on the dome light unless the parking lights were on.

I also plan to possibly install a 12v power source in the pack...with a future install of a 12V refridgerator (that will be a long ways off and may not happen, but I would rather plan wiring now rather than rewire the whole thing later).

So, my real question is, can I just tie into the already existing trailer wiring underneath the bed of the truck or will I have to run a separate larger gauge wire from the battery? In all honesty, I looked at the trailer wiring yesterday and it appears to be about 8-10 gauge. I am hoping some of you have done something similar and might have some recommendations? Thanks all for any advice and let me say thank you as I have learned a tremendous amount already in reading some of the posts.

Pic of the new to me truck...

P9060044.JPG

nosnerd

wanna be tourist
yes you can...when we installed toppers at a shop where i used to work (ok this was 8 yrs ago-things may have changed) we tapped into the black wire of the 7 pin connector

in my Burb...i removed the spare tire from the interior..mounted a moroso battery box and dropped in an AGM battery,,on top is a 2000w inverter...ran a 4 guage wire thru bulkhead connector (moroso again)a some loom alll the way to the alternator lug...clean and simple...(we dont use THAT much juice that u will kill both batteries-but i am going to install an isolator in the near future).i will also be removing the plastic storage box on drivers side to add a second battery....another projet for later

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior