WJ Gas Tank Skid

WickedZJ

Adventurer
So the skid plate on my 1999 Grand Cherokee is rusting out badly. From what I can tell in the Hayes manual the gas tank is held up by the skid plate. Does anyone have any experience with this? I know enough has rusted out that I can get a jack directly on the gas tank. It looks like it still has straps to hold the gas tank up but it looks like the straps bolt to the skid plate. Would it be possible to remove the rusty skid plate use some all thread and nuts to bolt the tank in place then attach the skid separately?

aa_zps40a84814.jpg

aa_zps6fae25c4.jpg

aa_zps415fc709.jpg

aa_zpsd7d6937e.jpg

Last edited:

WickedZJ

Adventurer
Well since I got no reply I figured I would add what I found out in case anyone else needs the info. I also posted this on another forum and found out the the WJ gas tank skid actually holds the gas tank in place. So I went to the junk yard and got a new one. I just ned to clean it up then I am going to hit it with some rustoleum truck bed liner to help keep it protected from the elements.

OverlandZJ

Expedition Leader
I found a rotted corner on my wife's WJ's tank skid this weekend, appreciate the info as i was assuming the tank was held up seperatly with straps.. like my XJ was.

Did brakes at all 4 corners then promptly blew the hardline near drivers rear lower control arm, consider myself fortunate that i found an OEM replacement at my local dealer. $15 for the hardline from ABS pump to the rear axle. Wasnt too bad an install either, much better than fab'n the line like i had to on a ZJ.

WickedZJ

Adventurer
try to get the rust under control now if you can. I just started trying to clean the one I got from the junkyard. All I have to use is a grinder with a wire wheel. Spent like and hour or two and have maybe a third of the inside of the skid clean. Once I get it all cleaned up I am going to use some self etching primer and then rustoleum truck bed liner to help prevent this from happening again.

muskyamigo

I was wondering this's my self. About a week ago I noticed pretty much the entire center section of the skid plate was bent down and had rusted off. Great...one more thing to fix!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Breezy78