wj jeep shud i buy one.

we18fi

Observer
ok so i have a question about jeep´s more closely wj.
there are not meny for sale here 20 or so....
most are diesels and 4.0 and 4.7 all are automatic so what i shud be looking for in them what are the weak points in the gearbox and engine?
the diesel have abad rep the 3.1L is not a good engine and the 2.7cdi MB engine has its own broplems i know that first hand coz i had a MB Eseries 270cdi and it was broken alot.......

what about locker and lift kits for it and spare parts ??

97discosd

Adventurer
The fact that a diesel engine is even an option tell me you're not in North America. So I envy you:p
They're are a few options for mild lifts. Rustys off road would be my first pick.
As for a locker I am no help

mustangwarrior

Adventurer
The 4.0 I6 has an awesome reputation for being tough as nails and was put in the grand cherokee, cherokee and wranglers for years, so parts are easy to come by, that helped influence me

greater mn

x2 on Iron Rock Offroad lift. Those guys are local to me and do pretty good work and have a good set of WJ lifts and accessories.

As for the WJ itself... I'd love to have a diesel... but here in the states we don't have those options (unless you do a custom conversion). But I'd opt for the 4.7 if I went with a gasoline version. The extra power is very nice and your fuel economy isn't alot different than the 4.0. What you do want to make sure you get is the select track transfer case (NV242HD) which allows you to take the vehicle out of full-time all wheel drive and gives you a bit more selectivity on 4WD/AWD performance. Just my opinion here but the transfer case is where I would start looking...

Here's a good link that goes over the various T-Cases...

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f310/.../#post12259930

Last edited:

we18fi

Observer
well iam leaning towords jeep heavely i may take a risk on the diesel. if the prices are what they say in the web shops is true it is alot cheaper to mod the my curent pajero.....
that link does not work,
are the autotransmission reliable?? and how do they brake down??

greater mn

Apologies... I fixed the link on my previous post.

Just to be clear... the NV242 is the transfer case... not the transmission.

"Reliable" is pretty relative term and varies from person to person. In my experience, most vehicle "reliability" vastly depends on the individual maintaining it. I cannot comment on others experiences (and there are those out there that have had issues...), but I haven't had a single issue with either WJ I've owned. The current WJ I own has almost 300K (Miles... yes we still use the empirical system here... :) ) on it and it has it's original transmission. The biggest reason I've seen for premature transmission failure is the lack of attention to routine maintenance... more specifically fluid and filter changes. I change mine pretty much annually (Yes, I know it's overkill) ...because I've found that changing the fluid and filtration more frequently reduces the wear on those components. By no means am I proclaiming this the secret of making your transmission last forever... just giving you one person's perspective and experience.

we18fi

Observer
ok so o test drive a diesel today and i have to say i was surprised by it ihave owned japanece 4wheelers most my audult life and jeep was not bad.
the main thing that made me smile was 1800rpms att 80kmh DAMM i have never see that with standart tyres. what are the rpms on the 4.7 and 4.0 with road tyres att 80kmh??
BUT that car has a 70thousend gap in the history but 99%rust free damm.
what is the auto transmission service km´s the last autobox oilchace was 60k ago and the last know transfer case oiland diffs was att 150k and it has 211k now on the clock to mee thats too long with same oil... does it have a onboard computer for fuel consumbtion??
its a 1999 and cost´s 9900€

jeep-N-montero

Expedition Leader
The fact that a diesel engine is even an option tell me you're not in North America. So I envy you:p
They're are a few options for mild lifts. Rustys off road would be my first pick.
As for a locker I am no help

Rusty's makes the worst junk around for Jeep parts.

jeep-N-montero

Expedition Leader
The WJ is a good vehicle, just avoid the 4.7 v8 unless it has records to support services since the car was bought new, otherwise the 4.7 is the most unreliable engine ever put in a Jeep vehicle. There are a lot of nice lift parts, gearing, and body armor made for the WJ.

we18fi

Observer
well its not easy the 3.1L diesel has a crank rearl seal fault it wasnot made to last here in the north.... crack real seal will brake every 30-50k and here we have only one transmission and transfercase option.
the 2.7 MB diesel has the injector leak fault and intake will file up diesel smoke...
but ill try to test dive the4.7 this week

is the 5.2 better then 4.7???

reece146

Automotive Artist
5.2 was never offered in the WJ.

Are there aftermarket fixes for the problems with the diesel? If so, budget accordingly and do that.

The rear seal issue... does it just leak/weep or does it fail and dump the sump? There is no such thing as a leak free Jeep so if it is not a big deal I wouldn't let that stop you.

Injectors are probably easy to change but I have no experience with that engine.

~10000 € (~$13000 USD) might buy you a North American spec WJ that is already lifted and pay for importation from North America to Finland? Don't know if that is legal in Finland...

we18fi

Observer
well there is no easy ansver there is no good fix available for the rear seal. and the thing is that our fukt up inspektion every year will fail your car for environmental reasons in worst case every year so gearbox out once year... the leak gets so bad that you have abb oil every week you ppl in the us and canada dont know how low quality thing are in italy 98%of things made in italy is LOW quality. only two thing are good from italy are benelli shotguns and iveco diesel engines thats it .
now the MB diesel engine injectors from first hand experiens the injector CAN be realy tricky and they can get stuck in the head and you may have to remove the head drill new thread to it, same goes for the glow blugs.
dont get me wrong my gen1 pajero has a leaking rear seal also and it goes in the same milage as the jeeps does but the jeep offer more car for less mony then the japanece 4wheelers 97 toyota cost more the 2000 jeep´s does. here wj jeep grand starts att 5000€ v8 are cheap and then 3.1 and then 2.7 and for importing a car from us is not good coz of this european union bull ****!!!! and also the EU limited our offroader builds it use to be that we could buil our car to what we liked aslong the bracks and chassy was the same, but now no every thing has to be E sertified this goes for all cars.
i am not affraid of the work to fix the jeep coz i never take y car to eny type of carrage i do it all my self, to me the bigest broblem in the jeep is the italian diesel no other car uses it so spare parts are not cheap like the vacuum pump is 1000€+ and for the pajero it is 170€ one cylinder head 560€ it takes 5 of those. for pajero 500€ the whole thing, if only jeep would have gotten a iveco engine in it jeep would have sold alot of car´s in europe and scandinavia.

PS: in 2014 jeep will offer the vm v6 diesel in us and canada then i can gome back here and tell you i told you so its not a good engine.

5.2 was never offered in the WJ.

Are there aftermarket fixes for the problems with the diesel? If so, budget accordingly and do that.

The rear seal issue... does it just leak/weep or does it fail and dump the sump? There is no such thing as a leak free Jeep so if it is not a big deal I wouldn't let that stop you.

Injectors are probably easy to change but I have no experience with that engine.

~10000 € (~$13000 USD) might buy you a North American spec WJ that is already lifted and pay for importation from North America to Finland? Don't know if that is legal in Finland...

reece146

Automotive Artist
Personally, if I were in your market I'd be looking at Gwags, HZJ100s and Patrols... maybe even a LR3/4.

Once the novelty wears off of a Jeep the build quality becomes apparent pretty quickly. Chrysler and Fiat are a match made in heaven IMO.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mitch Bears