WJ Owners: What do you dream of owning

As the title says: WJ owners, what vehicle do you wish you owned instead of your current vehicle :safari-rig:

I'm always thinking of the next vehicle I want to own and at the top of my list is a 2004 Freedom Edition or Columbia Edition with the 4.7 H.O. and NP242.

So I was thinking, why not jump ahead a bit and find out what current WJ owners are wishing they could own. One of my major draws to this vehicle is the powerful v8; combined with the roomy-ness and solid front axle, so if you're reason for wanting to upgrade is your lackluster 4.0L....well....I feel your pain already.

Obviously I know that different people want different rigs for different reasons, but I thought this would be a fun exercise. :snorkel:

fireman33

I love my wj, but like you said...id rather have the v8 but since ive put the 4.56 gears, i like it a lot :). I will like it even better when it will be suited up the way i want it to be...which is not about to happen haha :smiley_drive:

104_8117.jpg

theksmith

Explorer
love my WJ!

only thing i've always dreamed of was putting on 35's and JK Rubicon axles - which should be happening with a month or 2 at most, yay!

that said, the only vehicle I would trade for would be a 2011 4 Door JK Rubicon with the AEV Premium JK HEMI V8 Conversion. And since that's never going to be in the budget, i'll keep the WJ for hopefully a long time.

The only vehicles I considered when I got the WJ where a 4 door Tacoma or a Discovery II (G4 edition preferably). I drove the final year top-of-the-line Disco II and though the interior was more roomy for expo stuff, it lacked off-the-line power and therefore lost on the daily-driver front (it was about the same price as the top-of-the-line, same year and mileage WJ at the time, though I'm sure it's held value much better since). The Tacoma would have been a more versatile vehicle by virtue of it's truck bed, but wouldn't have been as capable on rough trails without bobbing the tail. Add to that the fact that the newer Tacoma hadn't been out long and was therefore overpriced to me at the time, and with only a V6, also underpowered to me (and no leather/heated seat/luxo features for all that coin even). And finally, having previously owned a 4 door Dakota with the same 4.7 V8 as the grand, I was really already walking into all the comparisons with a bias.

All my raving aside, the only things that suck about a WJ (and would suck about the Disco too), is that there just isn't the aftermarket that Wranglers and some Toyotas enjoy. Be prepared to have custom fab work done for lots of things because if you're picky like me, you won't find what you want pre-made very often. Hell, there's still no real snorkel for the WJ, and only a few people make rear bumpers with tire carriers and they all suck IMO, while at the same time you can find probably 20 different ones for a Wrangler.

In the end, after some work, the WJ makes a great compromise for Daily Driver, Rock Crawler, Trail Rig and Expedition Vehicle all in one!

P1050976.JPG
P1000958.JPG

P1040959.JPG
P1010720.JPG

P1050880.JPG
DSC_3997.JPG

Last edited:

JeepN95YJ

Adventurer
We bought our '99 WJ V8 with 56K miles on it. I just hit 169K and don't plan on replacing it ANY time soon. In fact, I'm looking at buying a 2nd one.

I took the WJ to Moab a few years ago while I was swapping a V8 into my '95 YJ. During the trip (first time I had ever offroaded it) it became apparent that I really didn't want a V8 Wrangler, I had much more in the WJ.

I've thought seriously about a FSJ Waggy or Cherokee but in the end, I think I'd be disappointed. The WJ has spoiled me.

Attachments

• Metal Masher 0607.jpg
    Metal Masher 0607.jpg
    144.9 KB · Views: 23
Last edited:

Root Moose

Expedition Leader
I don't own a WJ but likely will at some point in the not too distant future.

I keep thinking about other vehicles I'd consider instead.

Sometimes think about a DII. Not sure I want to deal with the issues around these vehicles.

There's FSJs. I probably don't have the patience to deal with a vehicle that old.

FZJ80... too slow and heavy

Jeep Commander. Really like the look of these vehicles but the whole IFS thing puts me off (Bt/dt).

Tahoe/Suburban is too big for the way I want to use the vehicle. Same thing with Broncos and Blazers.

What the WJ really has going for it is size and commonality.

My XJ isn't going anywhere. I'll keep it "forever".

muddyluxury

Observer
i would never trade my WJ... anybody can build a cherokee or a wrangler.

I like building odd ball platflorms i think its more fun. But the only change i would make would be the Euro spec Oil burner!!

smith...
do you know how to do the calculations for the amount of air flow needed?? I can do the fiber glass work i just don't know how to figure out the volume needs

Great responses everyone. Pretty much the same thoughts I'm having. I may keep my XJ at the same time as a WJ, but I'm not sure if that's in the budget.

Keep the thoughts coming.

Ford Prefect

Expedition Leader
I really enjoy my WJ for what I need, it gets me to all the off road places I still want to go. I would, however, if I traded, move up to an ML Benz. It turns out that the Benz can go there too, in much greater comfort and style. When you look at the price for an older Mercedes Benz ML you do no end up spending much more than you would for a Grand Cherokee. The big difference, of course, is the cost of upkeep. I think that is what I would get next if I could. If you get the one with the Off-road package, you can go almost anywhere.

Pretty cool!

Anyhow, I like my WJ a lot, but I would love to move up.

I will also add, that I would love to get a BMW R1150GS! But that is not exactly the same... ;)
Cheers,

Last edited:

getlost4x4

Expedition Leader
the ML is a well built platform. but it is IFS and IRS and has no suspension travel. its a nice dirt road runner, but other then that its not much of a contender.

i have a ZJ right now. i love it. i'm mostly in the repair and maintenance stage right now.

my dream off road vehicle is probably a Rubicon JK 4 door. but i really want a diesel.

love my WJ!.....the only vehicle I would trade for would be a 2011 4 Door JK Rubicon with the AEV Premium JK HEMI V8 Conversion. And since that's never going to be in the budget, i'll keep the WJ for hopefully a long time.

I was just telling myself this exact thing the other day; beside the "MY" Wj part.

If the JK was powered better and not 20k more $$$ that would be my next rig, but honestly that kind of $$$ won't be in my budget for a very lo....well, ever....

I think Iceland Offroad covers my bumper and fender flare wants for a WJ, but KOR will get a bunch of my business when the time comes for a lift, sliders & skids.

3" lift with 33's on a v8 H.O. WJ :drool: :drool: :drool:

Swap an 8.8 into the rear and call it done! (yeah, I know that's a real PITA)

Root Moose

Expedition Leader
That's pretty much my thought on it too. I was thinking Clayton long arm lift being the only real difference.

I'm not sure which 4x4 system to go with. I like the NV242 in my XJ but am intrigued by the Quadra-Drive system with the Vari-Lok axle differentials. It's not totally hard core but probably plenty of traction aiding devices for how the vehicle will be used. It also means not having to build axles... the AL D44 should be fine for the intended usage.

Comments from people in the real world that have Quadra-Drive WJs?

gprsdlyt

Adventurer
my protofab rear swing-out.
talked to a guy there that said hed add a matching swing out opposite the tire carrier that holds 2 jerry cans. once thats in ill the set up my cb antenna mount, moving rear flood from roof rack to telescoping pole, and stainless drop down grill/food prep table. oh, and a set of 5" springs. ha
aside from that, im nearing the end of a somewhat major sleeping platform/storage unit. after that is a headliner mod thats been strirring. gears and etc will be in next week.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Breezy78