Wolfpack Alpha - 2014 JK Build Thread

X-plorenow

Adventurer
Next up was my thermostat. My Jeep was throwing a P0128 code, Coolant thermostat temperature below regulating temperature.

IMG_20220107_160206_194.jpg

Overall it is not a difficult project. But anything in the engine on a lifted Jeep is hard to get to and it just makes things more challenging. Took a couple of hours and after I cleared the code it hasn't come back on and seems to be good to go.

X-plorenow

Adventurer
The next main issue that I had to deal with was my rear track bar. Interestingly enough I had already replaced it with a JKS adjustable rear track bar when I installed my lift kit. But while driving one day I heard rubbing and grinding. When I got out to check it out I found that my rear axle was shifted way out to the left. When I got under the Jeep, the track bar was tight, but when I pushed up on it the bar end with the threads popped back in. Somehow it got blown out.

I replaced it with a Steer Smarts Rear Track Bar:

IMG_20211016_094027_116.jpg

This thing is so beefy it is almost overbuilt, just like the Tom Woods driveshaft.

IMG_20211016_094027_150.jpg

So far so good.

X-plorenow

Adventurer
Just finished up the rear brakes this weekend. Rotors, pads, and calipers. Since I have about 125,000 miles on her figured it was time.

20220116_141204.jpg

Problem with doing your own work, when you live in Maine, and your Jeep is too tall for the garage, and you need work done in winter:

20220116_141210.jpg

It's probably even colder than it looks.

zgfiredude

Doing my own work doesn't always go smoothly. The brake job above didn't go as smoothly as first appeared. If you are interested in hearing more check out our latest blog post "I Screwed Up". In our blog, I promised to always tell the whole story. Real Stories. Real Truth.

https://www.wolfpackexplorers.com/wolfpack-blog/i-screwed-up
Shared a short story on your blog.......some lessons are harder learned than others, but you gained a lot and will carry that forward. Good save on the loose wheel!

X-plorenow

Adventurer
Shared a short story on your blog.......some lessons are harder learned than others, but you gained a lot and will carry that forward. Good save on the loose wheel!

I completely agree and thanks for sharing that story. Great to keep learning.

X-plorenow

Adventurer
So we decided to make a change. We weren't planning to make a change, at least not at the moment. But we went in for a state inspection and got declined because of a leaky rear shock. This was disappointing as I had just put this Teraflex lift kit on just over two years ago at the start of COVID. We had hoped to upgrade our shocks at some point in the future, but this obviously sped up our timetable.

BP51 2.jpg

We decided to go with a full set of Old Man Emu BP51s. Whenever we can, we also try and purchase the best products possible as we often travel remotely in a solo vehicle and we need our Jeep to just work, period.

Serial Number.jpg

Well, it doesn't always work out this way. I put the rears on last weekend, which was a pain in itself. They are a bear to put on. I took them for a quick test drive and then the next day took the Jeep to go get my wife and work an hour away. I get out to move something to the backseat and I see that I was leaving a trail of fluid. I look under and the right rear was just spewing oil from inside the reservoir everyone. One hour... when looking at the other pics below you might ask, Mike isn't that hose supposed to be attached? Yes, yes it is. Got it back off yesterday.

BP51 1.jpg

The good news is that working with a reputable company like ARB, I filled out the warranty form on their site that night and they had a new one out to me the next day. I was very impressed and happy with the service. Hopefully, the shock failure was just a rare occurrence.
I will be doing a full write-up once I get them all on and test them a little but wanted to share this story in the meantime.

Fun times.

X-plorenow

Adventurer
Any thought on the tires after a few months?

It is still too early to really tell. They have seen mostly road miles so far and they track nice and are pretty quiet. I have had some limited time offroad with them, and spring in Maine is full of mud. I hit a section of trail that was a mess, almost completely liquid, with chunks of ice on top. We were so deep that the driver's side was down almost to the rock sliders. The jeep went right through it. I wasn't aired down and didn't use lockers, but did go into 4Lo, and had to back up and try again a couple of times, but overall powered right through. I was very impressed.

We will be hitting more trails shortly and will keep you posted.

X-plorenow

Adventurer
Getting back to this post after a little while. We sold our house and left in our RV with our Jeep on Aug 6 and have been full-time on the road since then, which has made it hard to keep up. However, a lot has been done to the Jeep and I will add updates when I can.

Prior to our departure I installed the front OME BP51's as well and have been using them ever since. We have been extremely happy with them. Their performance both on and off-road have been spectacular.

20230126_113951.jpg

If you are interested in reading more about the install or our thoughts on the shocks to date check out our updated blog post: Jeep JK OME BP51 Shock Install.

X-plorenow

Adventurer
We also made another change to our front end and finally made the jump to Dynatrac Heavy Duty Ball Joints. We have been running Teraflex ball joints for several years now. We had originally put them in as Teraflex had a good reputation and the ball joints seemed to have received good reviews, and for just over $260 seemed like a good value.

The ball joints are supposedly adjustable, or at least you can adjust the pre-load on the ball joints when they loosen up. This happened shortly after I had put on the first set. When I put on new tires the shop told me that the ball joints were bad. When I called Teraflex that is when they told me that I just needed to adjust the pre-load. You need a special tool to adjust them but it is relatively easy. You just need to loosen the three Allen headset screws and then adjust the pre-load to 15-inch pounds of torque.

Just before we left on our trip it happened again, so instead of just tightening them I decided to buy another set and just have them replaced. Sure enough about three months into our trip when I was having work done the shop told me that the ball joints were bad again. I had to buy another tool as my old one was with my tools packed back in storage. Once the tool arrived, I tried multiple times to adjust the pre-load but it just wouldn't tighten.

By this time, my two front tires were wearing extremely unevenly and eventually got to the point where the whole front of the vehicle would shake. So I bought another full set of Milestar Patagonia's and found a local shop that installed the Dyanatrac Ball Joints for me. The shop had nothing but good things to say about them. If you can afford them and really offroad your rig they highly recommend them. They are also fully rebuildable in the shop while still installed so they are likely the last ball joints that you will ever buy. With that said, the shop told me that they have yet had to have to rebuild a set.

ball_joints_jeep_jk_jp44-2x3050.jpg

I had already thought highly of them but the shop's intel further reinforced my impressions. This was a great example of buy once cry once, and wish I had gone this route the first time. Two sets of ball joints, installation, a full set of tires, and countless alignments have made this a costly decision. But it wasn't like I bought some cheap Chinese knock-off, Teraflex has a solid reputation and I have had success with some of their other products.

The shop that installed the Dynatracs, and another shop that I called, both told me that they don't sell Teraflex Ball Joints anymore as they have had too many problems. I wish I had known that up front.

So be it, I have made the switch and couldn't be happier so far.

20230122_172119.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taunger