Work in progress

Willeman

Observer
Found this little guy on craigslist, it was being used as a tailgate and flatlander camping kitchen. Progress to date: reinforced the frame, extended the tongue, 3,500lbs axle, Toyota pick up leaf springs, steel wheel wells, custom steel rear slide out drawer (for kitchen), steel frame for Roof top tent(RTT), mounted TechniTop RTT, added side boxes and tongue box. My next projects are rigging the pressurized water system (30gal RV tank with flow jet 12v pump, marine battery, and hot water heater) and final touches on the pull out kitchen drawer.

Willeman

Observer
Thanks Mark, my wife thought I was a little off when I told her what I was going to do. She loves it ,now and is after me to get the hot water and shower going. It's been fun but I think next time I am going to build one from the ground up.

Mark Harley

Expedition Leader
I think you did a great job. After some use you will figure more additions and changes.
It looks great and gets you into the great outdoors. Post pictures of any more additions.

Willeman

Observer
thanks brother, we've def had great fun with it and she is happier in the back country which means we get out allot more. And your right, everytime we take it out I come home with a list of mods- which is good it gives me something to mess around with other than work.

skersfan

Supporting Sponsor
Great job sir. Like Mark says, use it awhile, you will know very quickly what you need, and how to do it. It looks like you could drag that pretty much anywhere behind the FJ.

Willeman

Observer
Thanks skersfan. So far I've been able to drag it over and through anything the FJ can handle here in New Mexico and up in Southern Colorado - rocks, sand, desert and water. It's super light, doesn't phase the FJ. In hindsight, I'd set the wheel base a few inches wider so its on the same track as the FJ - it doesn't effect much but I have to be aware of when navigating ruts and obstacles et . Beyond that we're pretty happy so far.

Willeman

Observer
I am laying in the plans for 12v pump, fresh water system. Anyone have any experience with reliability/durability in roto mold and high end plastic RV tanks in an off road camper?

Willeman

Observer
It holds telescoping poles for a 14x12 Chinook pro outfitters tarp and rain flys. The picture shows an old blue tarp I used the first couple of runs out, I recently replaced that with the Chinook- lighter and far more versatile. Will post pics on the next run. Going to add another PVC pipe , same location, on the back to hold the fly rods and fishing poles at some point. It's on the list- plan to finish out the kitchen pull out drawer this week and then install a fresh water system (still working out the details). Might actually be "finished" with it before fall :0)

Cheers

Willeman

Observer
image.jpg
Water system installed and working like a champ, the Triton hot water heater is pretty amazing - passed the wife standard for water pressure and temperature. Can't wait to get out in the field.

Last edited:

skersfan

Supporting Sponsor
Plastic mart make pretty good tanks, used by the RV industry. I would stay away from the PVC. It breaks easily and can freeze and destroy your system. I went to stainless hoses in my trailers, with metal nipples through the floor. Still can break when frozen but not as likely.

Willeman

Observer
Good advice . Couldn't afford a metal tank- went with the RV tanks, put them on half inch neoprene and bolted them in tight. It's not a winter proof system for sure, but for my budget I am hoping it will hold up for the other seasons. Can run stainless hoses on RV tanks?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taunger