Worlds tiniest trailer - and it worked great!

steelnwool

When I took my trailer to the shop to have it saftey inspected they wrote "World's Tiniest Trailer" on the bill. The main bed measures about 48" x 42". I bought this a few years ago at a yard sale for $200, it had a big box around it. I didn't take good care of it and the bearing burned out on a trip to the cottage. We left it sitting in the field for a few years.

One year while on vacation with the neighbors borrowed trailer I was wanting my own and told myself "I'll build one!". Well, for a lot of reasons that never happened but then I clued in that I could just fix up the one in the field.

I took it home a top another trailer and started picking away at it 30 minutes here and there as I had time. Ground off all the rust and put on a few coats of Trem-clad. Put in new bearings, replaced the tongue with an 8 foot chunk of 2" square steel. Just the right size to hold a receiver-type bike rack. I added a 5/8" plywood deck with 9 D-rings around it. Did up the wiring, ran a dedicated ground for each light because I figured that would make debugging easier when they failed.

This trailer is called "The Stress Reducer" as that is its main purpose. When we (wife and 2 kids. 8 and 5) go travelling, I get stressed as hell figuring out how everything is going to fit. It bothers me when the kids don't have room etc. So the idea here was to mount 2 180L Rubbermaid bins, our travel table, the cooler and bikes on the trailer. Thus leaving the car just for toys, blankets and clothes plus a few assorted loose things.

The section you see on the front holds our cooler with 2 ratchet straps. Now, by some odd cosmic force it would seem that no matter how much extra space I provide my wife is able to find something we "need" to take to occupy that space. As such the trunk was still 100% packed. BUT the kids had plenty of room.

We took it on a road trip last week of approx 1100kms from Halifax Nova Scotia, up to Funday National Park in New Brunswick for 4 nights, then up to Miramichi to camp in tree houses for 2 nights, attended an airshow ( F18 and Snowbirds! Wooo! ), went tubing and then drove home.

I now present : The stress reducer! Towed by our 2011 6MT 2.5L Subaru Outback "Belle", with 150,000km on er.

It's a tiny trailer. It's as simple as it gets and isn't very exciting. But dammit it works, and well.

SkpVuxf.jpg

yQDKOYb.jpg

QUHNLca.jpg

FYuepDn.jpg

jonnyquest

Adventurer
That is actually pretty nice. Get a spare. I've seen lots of trailers sitting on the side of the road waiting for a tire to get fixed. Seal the wood up and you can use it for years. The family looks happy. Good job.

ripperj

Explorer
Simple is often best.
Good use for a cat too, never saw one employed as a tongue jack.

Sent from my Passport

steelnwool

That is actually pretty nice. Get a spare. I've seen lots of trailers sitting on the side of the road waiting for a tire to get fixed. Seal the wood up and you can use it for years. The family looks happy. Good job.

Yeah, that is on the list. For now I have a plug kit in the car that will help with punctures but not so much with a sidewall blowout.

Also, this is pretty strictly a pavement only trailer. The bikes just flop around too much with bumps. Honestly I also hate the bikes being perpendicular to the trailer. They get a LOT more wind than they should (that bike rack is designed to be out of the wind behind a car) and so I have to tied them down extra good. And they bump and grind each other and ruin each others paint jobs. So bike toting improvements are next on the list.

MightyP

Observer
That's an awesome trailer. How much does it weigh? I live on a postage stamp here in suburbia (it's awful) and don't have room for a trailer. Something like this, if it's not too heavy, could be stored upright next to my shed! :p And now I'm off to search craigslist for trailers...

steelnwool

That's an awesome trailer. How much does it weigh? I live on a postage stamp here in suburbia (it's awful) and don't have room for a trailer. Something like this, if it's not too heavy, could be stored upright next to my shed! :p And now I'm off to search craigslist for trailers...

I don't know what it weighs, but it's not much. One ambitious person could pretty easily set it back on its end. You'd want to position your lights such that they don't fall victim to gravity and mass tho :)

steelnwool

Also, the bike rack comes off with 1 bolt so most of the time its not even on teh trailer. Truth be told I hate that bike rack and everything about it. I hate it almost enough to stop taking bikes when I go places.

SoDakSooner

Adventurer
I have to kind of chuckle at your tiny trailer, only because it is not all that different from mine. Mine was donated by my dad. Who knows why he bought it. He has a fill size pickup with nothing in the bed. Long story short. he had no use for it, so he hauled it 1000 miles (in the bed of said pickup) and now I am the proud owner. I have yet to use, but plan to here in a few weeks for a weekend camping trip as our Wrangler gets a tad bit too full. So he built a wood box for it and painted it up so it looks pretty. Not sure I would be gutsy enough to take it on that long a trip, but we will do some local stuff,and it will work as a placeholder in campsites, when in a campground (will be locked TO something of course)

Good job man. Nice stress relief. :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mitch Bears