Would an Extra $5,000+ Make a Difference?

AbleGuy

Officious Intermeddler
Rivian is trying to bring gasser 4x4 owners into the EV fold by announcing an (extra?) “up to” $5,000 bonus trade in incentive right now.

“Rivian will give you up to around $5,470 in discount if you trade in an eligible gas-powered truck or SUV when you purchase or lease a qualifying R1 electric vehicle package in the US and Canada. As an "Electric Upgrade Offer" for Earth Day, Rivian said it will accept 2018 or newer Ford F-150, Explorer, Expedition and Bronco (excluding Bronco Sport) vehicles, as well as 2018 or newer Toyota Tacoma, Tundra, Highlander and 4Runner vehicles for trade in. You can also trade in a Jeep Grand Cherokee, Wrangler or Gladiator from the same model years. Rivian will take a 2018 or newer Audi Q5, Q7 and Q8 and a BMW X3, X5 and X7, as well.”

How tempting is that for any of you fence sitters? Is it finally time to pull the trigger on an R-1?

AbleGuy

Officious Intermeddler
Here’s one caveat:

“the discount will only apply to specific R1T truck and R1S SUV packs at amounts that range from CAD$1,000 ($730) to CAD$7,500 ($5,470). You'll also still have to put in a $1,000 non-refundable deposit to reserve the configuration you choose, and you must be able to accept a delivery between April 22 and June 30.”

Ozarker

Pontoon Admiral
No, it won't change a thing. I checked out that little "truck" at the MOORE Expo show. Cab is too small, bed is too small, towing is lacking, however, I did like the little storage compartments behind the cab in front of the rear wheels.

MotoDave

Explorer
Probably helps bring their trade in offer closer to the blue book value, I could see it being an incentive to trade in a vehicle rather than sell it private party if someone was already looking to buy one.

The very specific set of vehicles they call out is sort of weird ...

Victorian

Approved Vendor : Total Composites
For the EV industry to really take off we need lower price tags. Make it simple and sub $40,000.
Just got back from a trip to China and almost 1/3 of the vehicles are EV. Even busses, street cleaners, taxis etc. Most brands I never heart off. Talking to a local that owns a Tesla, he insured me that the quality of the other brands are very good. One of the vehicles I saw was similar to a Tesla model 3. Had a range of 750 km, insane amount of features you would only expect from a $150,000+ luxury car. The sale price was sub $50,000. The owner loved it!

ABBB

For the EV industry to really take off we need lower price tags. Make it simple and sub $40,000.
Just got back from a trip to China and almost 1/3 of the vehicles are EV. Even busses, street cleaners, taxis etc. Most brands I never heart off. Talking to a local that owns a Tesla, he insured me that the quality of the other brands are very good. One of the vehicles I saw was similar to a Tesla model 3. Had a range of 750 km, insane amount of features you would only expect from a $150,000+ luxury car. The sale price was sub $50,000. The owner loved it!
I expect you’re right, but I also think that if range was substantially more people would pay more. It would take 750mi/range to get me into an R1S today because of where I live and because we tow a small trailer for camping. I think the truck is great and I believe the company is on the right track, but until there’s greater range bang for my buck, I have no reason to let go of my 200 series Land Cruiser with an aux fuel tank that gets me everywhere I want to go with 5-600mi/range. Plus Toyota reliability. That’s what they’re competing with. We’d consider one of the smaller not-yet-released Rivians in the next few years for family use closer to home, but again it would have to have more range than they offer now to make me turn away from a hybrid Toyota that I expect we’ll purchase in the coming years as their tech evolves.

Markal

I’m sure it’ll tempt some people. I already see A LOT of Rivians here in Colorado. But I just bought a new truck and didn’t really consider a Rivian. Too pricey, too unreliable, and too much reduction in range when towing.

ITTOG

For me it has nothing to do with the price tag. Nothing will change my opinion until they can be fully charged in the same time it would take me to fill up a tank of gas. I am not going to be traveling and have to spend hours charging it. It also has to tow the same as my F150. Until it can do that it is garbage to me.

plh

Explorer
My wife and I are taking a 3,600 RT mile road trip (part of Route 66) Memorial day week. I can't image how much extra time this would take even DC fast charging if it was conveniently available on the route. It is interesting that even thought Rivian vehicles are Tesla charging capable, only a very small percentage of Tesla superchargers are Rivian capable. As of December 2023 there were 2 in California for example.

Last edited:

Victorian

Approved Vendor : Total Composites
My wife and I are taking a 3,600 RT mile road trip (part of Route 66) Memorial day week. I can't image how much extra time this would take even DC fast charging if it was conveniently available on the route. It is interesting that even thought Rivian vehicles are Tesla charging capable, only a very small percentage of Tesla superchargers are Rivian capable. As of December 2023 there were 2 in California for example.
As an additional comment to my post about Chinese EV in China.... Apparently, EVERY EV is using the same plugs and are compatible with all chargers within the country.
Why can't we get this going?

MotoDave

Explorer
As of March both Ford and Rivian are able to use nearly any Tesla Supercharger with an adapter. Sort of a game changer for me when considering an EV to replace my GX460 (I will likely buy a R1S in another year or two when used values come down a bit more).

I don't do HUGE road trips often. Typically its 300-500 mile days, with several stops for kid/dog breaks anyways. For my style of travel, stopping to charge for 20-30 minutes vs a 10 minute fuel splash is not a downside. It takes a little more planning, but to me its not any different than learning where the cheap fuel stops are along HWY 395 so you don't get stuck paying a markup at the tourist traps.

I agree that EVs aren't a good replacement for every type of vehicle, nor do they fit everyone's preference. Don't buy one if you don't want one ... seems pretty easy.

As an additional comment to my post about Chinese EV in China.... Apparently, EVERY EV is using the same plugs and are compatible with all chargers within the country.
Why can't we get this going?
We can thank Elon Musk for needing to do things different. But going forward nearly all of the other car companies have agreed to switch to the Tesla type connector. As of now its a matter of using an adapter to be able to use either type of plug. Its not as big a deal as its made out to be.

SDDiver5

Expedition Leader
I cant imagine it would make that much of a difference for the majority of people. It's still stupid expensive for a small truck. I'll throw out a number and say it will sway 2%-3% of people who are considering a Rivian.

I have a two friends that have them and they absolutely love them. They're all over the place in So Cal too.

For me, it's too much money for too little product. I cant imagine trying to fit 2 carseats in the back and have my seat in a comfortable position. I do like them, however.

rruff

Explorer
I expect you’re right, but I also think that if range was substantially more people would pay more.
And if a frog had wings, it wouldn't bump its ass a hoppin'....

EV batteries have come a long way, but they need to improve a lot more before they are viable for a general purpose vehicle, that you want to both commute and tow long distances.

The only reason we have EV pickups at all is because pickups in general are super popular, but they only make sense for people who don't tow long. If you wish to check that box, forget it... and don't hold your breath waiting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Smudge12