Would an Extra $5,000+ Make a Difference?

plh

Explorer
For the EV industry to really take off we need lower price tags. Make it simple and sub $40,000.
Just got back from a trip to China and almost 1/3 of the vehicles are EV. Even busses, street cleaners, taxis etc. Most brands I never heart off. Talking to a local that owns a Tesla, he insured me that the quality of the other brands are very good. One of the vehicles I saw was similar to a Tesla model 3. Had a range of 750 km, insane amount of features you would only expect from a $150,000+ luxury car. The sale price was sub $50,000. The owner loved it!

I used to live in China 2008 era and have frequently visited for work since 2004. Basically went from the old slow trains that were common even up to 2010 to connecting the entire country with high speed rail on separate tracks in 5 years. Communism does get large infrastructure project done. Don't think much about the rest of their politics.

rruff

Explorer
Because......freedom!.......apparently......
When I was in college we did everything in SI units... because the word at the time was that the US would soon switch everything over. Never happened.

I think the main driver was the oligarchs wanting to ramp up outsourcing, and this would make it easier. I remember my Dad owning John Deere farm implements with the mix of metric and SAE bolts. What a PITA...

ABBB

And if a frog had wings, it wouldn't bump its ass a hoppin'....

EV batteries have come a long way, but they need to improve a lot more before they are viable for a general purpose vehicle, that you want to both commute and tow long distances.

The only reason we have EV pickups at all is because pickups in general are super popular, but they only make sense for people who don't tow long. If you wish to check that box, forget it... and don't hold your breath waiting.
I’m not in a hurry. I have no doubt the technology will get there. It would’ve been great if I could’ve stuffed my landline phone in my pocket in 1991 and made calls away from home. We got to that eventually.

JaSAn

Grumpy Old Man
I’m not in a hurry. I have no doubt the technology will get there . . .
I agree; let the early tech adopters work the kinks out.
Meanwhile, we need a better battery technology. Li-ion doesn't have enough energy density for long range and heavy work.

. . . It would’ve been great if I could’ve stuffed my landline phone in my pocket in 1991 and made calls away from home. We got to that eventually.
It could be argued that cell phones have not been good for our culture. All tech advances have down sides.

Todd n Natalie

OverCamper
I cant imagine it would make that much of a difference for the majority of people. It's still stupid expensive for a small truck. I'll throw out a number and say it will sway 2%-3% of people who are considering a Rivian.

I have a two friends that have them and they absolutely love them. They're all over the place in So Cal too.

For me, it's too much money for too little product. I cant imagine trying to fit 2 carseats in the back and have my seat in a comfortable position. I do like them, however.
It is. But Rivian def isn't alone in asking the moon for a small truck. Just saw the CDN pricing for the 24 Taco TRD Pro and TrailHunter.

Screenshot 2024-04-25 125132.png

That's damn near Raptor money!!

EDIT: Nevermind. I guess it was Raptor money in 2021... Base 2024 Raptor is 110K.....

Dougnuts

I want a Rivian R1T, but I'm not getting rid of my gas truck for one, at this time.

I also agree that $5k just makes it easier to trade in vs. sell private party. I have always sold private party so it wouldn't really sway me. 🤷‍♂️

plainjaneFJC

Deplorable
For the EV industry to really take off we need lower price tags. Make it simple and sub $40,000.
Just got back from a trip to China and almost 1/3 of the vehicles are EV. Even busses, street cleaners, taxis etc. Most brands I never heart off. Talking to a local that owns a Tesla, he insured me that the quality of the other brands are very good. One of the vehicles I saw was similar to a Tesla model 3. Had a range of 750 km, insane amount of features you would only expect from a $150,000+ luxury car. The sale price was sub $50,000. The owner loved it!
The comrades on the assembly line probably get paid 5 dollars a day….

Todd n Natalie

OverCamper
Judging by the discounts I'm seeing around here for Lightning, they may have to step up the 5K offer....

1.jpg

The same dealer is showing 33 Lightnings in stock..... And that's just one of the 9 local Ford dealers... :oops:

The 25K discount applies to Platimums. Lower trims still have sizable discounts....

Screenshot 2024-05-03 111709.png

For what it's worth, gas powered 2023 F150's have a 12.5K discount right now and 2024 gas powered F150's have a 7.5K discount already.

I guess that's what gouging MSRP up 15K over 2 years and removing features gets you... Overstocked inventory... Ram is advertising similar discounts.

LRNAD90

Adventurer
We need a totalitarian government to get this going... not all these independent states and companies... 🤪
:unsure:

Sadly we seem to be on track to be there before you know it..

"A dog had his chain reduced a link at a time every few days...until his chain was so short he could barely move. He never resisted because he was conditioned to the loss of freedom gradually. He was left living the rest of his life on a one link chain attached to a tree. Yes, he was alive, but he had no freedom. "

Ozarker

Pontoon Admiral
Sadly we seem to be on track to be there before you know it..

"A dog had his chain reduced a link at a time every few days...until his chain was so short he could barely move. He never resisted because he was conditioned to the loss of freedom gradually. He was left living the rest of his life on a one link chain attached to a tree. Yes, he was alive, but he had no freedom. "
LOL, exactly, now explain why that dog voted for the links to be removed, stupid dog!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Smudge12