Would you buy a 150000 miles Fuso 4x4

Reebavic

Freedom
Contemplating making an Expedition Camper with a Fuso 4x4 base! We don't intent to go extreme 4x4, fire roads; Dempster Hwy; Labrador Hwy with some Baja's Peninsula's trips. Pretty much all used Fuso's are in the 100 miles! Given that Mitsubishi pulled out of North America would you still go at it?

SkiFreak

Crazy Person
It would depend on what year model it is and how much is being asked for it. Obviously, there are many other factors too, like what the truck was used for and/or where it was used.
A tuck used for snow clearing would likely have experienced harsh conditions, so rust could be a major issue in that situation.
The older models are, in my opinion, far more durable than the current model.
Basically, it would come down to the specific truck.

GR8ADV

Explorer
Assuming you travel an average of 5-10k per year (that is FAR more than most RV's) it should last you at least another 15 + years. If maintained well I wouldn't give it another thought.

One of the great things about the Fuso is the many people all over North America who can work on them if need be.

kerry

Expedition Leader
We bought a 1999 Fuso FG 14 yrs ago with 176k miles on it and converted it to a camper. It now has 235k miles on it. We have no plans to sell it, which is not quite the same as buying it again but it's an indication of how reliable and useful it has been to us. The Longmont Colorado Fuso dealer told me to never sell it to buy a newer one as we had the best version ever built. It had served as a Sunbelt rental company maintenance truck before our purchase. I believe they had a policy of selling their trucks once the warranty ran out at 175k miles. I have seen some FG's from the northeastern US with less than 50k miles whose frames looked like Swiss cheese. Ours came from the southeast.

Well we just bought one with 300,000 miles 😂. It all depends on how comfortable you are playing mechanic.

To me, that mileage is LOW. But for someone not comfortable holding a wrench it may be high.

Breaking down and playing mechanic in Baja sounds like an adventure to me 🤷🏼‍♀️

Just plan on redoing the transmission. Parts are easy to find just have to order them. Mechanics are never going to stop working on trucks there are way too many Fuso’s around.

Ozarker

Pontoon Admiral
Since I'm about the only no so far, an explanation;

The OP mentioned a couple long and remote roads or trips, all things mechanical can break. The manufacture bailed out of North America, so my thought was to parts, not so much to having work done. As mentioned too, what was the truck used for, who had it and what model is it? 150K miles isn't really high mileage but certainly enough to begin having some issues, like any other vehicle.

My initial thought, all things considered as to what we know, the concern is about maintenance and parts. I'm sure most (or all) can be located, but from where, how long does it take to get them and at what cost. This explains why I have a Jeep and a F-150 and on any long trip in remote areas I'll be in the F-150. Nothing against Fuso, but I'd be concerned about reliability in the middle of nowhere.

Reebavic

Freedom
I respect all input! That's why I posted here!
Given that I'm off with PTSD I need something that will keep my insanity going on and something to keep me busy! I just haven decided which project I'll jump in! But I'm not 30 anymore :{

Since I'm about the only no so far, an explanation;

The OP mentioned a couple long and remote roads or trips, all things mechanical can break. The manufacture bailed out of North America, so my thought was to parts, not so much to having work done. As mentioned too, what was the truck used for, who had it and what model is it? 150K miles isn't really high mileage but certainly enough to begin having some issues, like any other vehicle.

My initial thought, all things considered as to what we know, the concern is about maintenance and parts. I'm sure most (or all) can be located, but from where, how long does it take to get them and at what cost. This explains why I have a Jeep and a F-150 and on any long trip in remote areas I'll be in the F-150. Nothing against Fuso, but I'd be concerned about reliability in the middle of nowhere.
Honestly this was my concern as well before getting one. However my experience has been all I have to do is call up a parts dealer and they will drop ship me the part. Worst case scenario at the moment is waiting a couple days for a part. Mitsubishi plans on supplying parts to dealers I believe for at least the next ten years.

DirtWhiskey

Western Dirt Rat
Just make sure you do all the little things before going to Baja. Lots of run down trips. Replace all rubber, bushings and plastic and care spares of critical items.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mitch Bears