Would you live in a wedge camper full time?

dole

Actually, nobody owns those homes, not if banks can confiscate it for failure to pay on bad times, counties can confiscate it for nonpayment of taxes on hard times and/or excessive property valuations, and HOAs can confiscate for noncompliance with their requirements. As long as conditions are like this, I refuse to participate in "home ownership" that is really renting from these entities, and I particularly refuse to participate in the America economy as long as demons like that are in control of the country. I flight my money out of the country every single month. This is all part of a larger trend of moving money to safer and cheaper havens. About 95% of my assets are out of the country.

Also, the whole idea with real estate taking advantage of the plandemic is to keep collecting more and more properties to sell them to housing corporations so that these will be removed from retail-level real estate forever. We would become a nation of renters, all stuck in big cities with the rich living in small towns and countrysides. As CheapRVLiving said on his channel, the idea of living far away from civilization is to regain control over your person, over your life (at least until the government tells you to move after 14 days) and maintain safety to your person. At least you can DECIDE where you want to go next. You at least retain this much control over your life.

I'm staying out of America for as long as I can and will overland India as much as I can on a budget until things change and I'm forced to go back.

we think very alike. I am with you on all of that. I would love to learn what you mean by getting your assets out of the country. Last year when I was making amazing money in tech I felt like it would at least keep going long enough that I could save up and buy a nice house in cash, which would have only been another maybe two years. Now after experiencing how much it sucks to have that all ripped away, there is a very big part of me that thinks I will probably not ever buy into the faux ownership of a house. Because you're absolutely right, as long as you have a mortgage and property tax exists it is not truly yours. My 20 year old paid off truck? That's all mine. I think it's highly likely that eventually I would invest in a nice van or an HD truck with a nice hard side camper when I know I'm going to be living in a vehicle for a long period of time, but I'm just not ready to make that investment. I need to get my feet wet again first after spending so much time in apartments.

As for renting again with a gap of not having a normal home, that is very easy to get around. I would neveerr condone lying but on a totally unrelated note, photoshop and Google voice sure are useful tools.?
But even though I sound like a dirty hobo by the way I talk in this thread, I am fairly squared away financially so it shouldn't be a problem anyway

dole

Well, storm hit Hubbard Lake, stern of the Sea Ray submerged by damage, boat totaled, small personal items salvaged, insurance is paying, lake vacation/living is over!

Did someone say pop up camper? Second thought, maybe a class A?
Oh my gosh, I hope you're OK. I am so sorry, what a disaster

dole

Makes sense. I am in tech as well. Smaller, local business but I have my ear to the ground in the industry.

I lived in a van in 2021 in all types of climates during my circumnavigation of the country. A van may be a better option for you if you plan to do this for a while. Build it right, and you can comfortably live a normal life. I built mine out in about 6 months and it was a self-contained, comfortable way of life.

View attachment 772328
View attachment 772329
Very nice! I know with an interior and insulation like that comfort would be no problem. I'm going to need to eventually bite the bullet and invest in a similar set up if I plan to live on the road for very long

Ozarker

Pontoon Admiral
Actually, nobody owns those homes, not if banks can confiscate it for failure to pay on bad times, counties can confiscate it for nonpayment of taxes on hard times and/or excessive property valuations, and HOAs can confiscate for noncompliance with their requirements. As long as conditions are like this, I refuse to participate in "home ownership" that is really renting from these entities, and I particularly refuse to participate in the America economy as long as demons like that are in control of the country. I flight my money out of the country every single month. This is all part of a larger trend of moving money to safer and cheaper havens. About 95% of my assets are out of the country.

Also, the whole idea with real estate taking advantage of the plandemic is to keep collecting more and more properties to sell them to housing corporations so that these will be removed from retail-level real estate forever. We would become a nation of renters, all stuck in big cities with the rich living in small towns and countrysides. As CheapRVLiving said on his channel, the idea of living far away from civilization is to regain control over your person, over your life (at least until the government tells you to move after 14 days) and maintain safety to your person. At least you can DECIDE where you want to go next. You at least retain this much control over your life.

I'm staying out of America for as long as I can and will overland India as much as I can on a budget until things change and I'm forced to go back.

Most folks know when they can't make payments or pay taxes or pay dues or other liens, and they sell the property. Proceeds of a quick sale may not be as high as if you put a property up for sale for 6 months or a year, but getting equity out is better than walking away losing it all.

I've never lost a dime in real estate, I've dumped properties in a matter of days to other investors.

I understand wanting to check out of society, but it's really about attitude. There is also a personality side of things, you need a little "eye of the tiger" in you to survive in this society. You don't need to walk over others but then you don't need to allow others to walk over you.

I will never be the richest man on earth, I can accept that, in fact I don't even care to try. That doesn't mean I'm a loser or try to live as a hermit. Don't need to be antisocial to command my personal freedoms, or at least those I perceive to have.

Folks need to learn the game and play to win, the alternative is to be that loser making excuses for their circumstances. It might look easy to walk away but it isn't an easy life, especially as you get older.

I bought houses with nothing down, seller financing, renting them, splitting rents plus note payments for a while to make up that down payment. There are thousands of retired landlords who need income but don't want to fix properties, clean them and put up with tenants.

Seriously, I don't even know how many properties I've owned, but it was the easiest money I ever made. Don't let competition of the big investors turn into a copout, they can't own everything!

Last bit of advice, I'm not turning this into a real estate seminar, learn real estate just as Realtors do, do not go to any RE "Investor" site from hyping snake oil salesmen, they will get you in trouble!!!!

Ozarker

Pontoon Admiral
Oh my gosh, I hope you're OK. I am so sorry, what a disaster

All is good, the boat was in the dock, winterized, no one onboard. My son took care of it, said 30' aft was in the water with about 20' at the bow bobbing up. Insurance pulled it out and he cleaned it out. Check is in the mail. Oh well, from now on I'll rent a boat! :LOL:

I would love to learn what you mean by getting your assets out of the country.

As for renting again with a gap of not having a normal home, that is very easy to get around. I would neveerr condone lying but on a totally unrelated note, photoshop and Google voice sure are useful tools.?

That means cashing out your 401K, other retirement plans, offshoring your bank accounts, getting into gold/silver/property wherever legally allowed.

I have a friend who will vouch for me, as my address has always been at her house. I can also say truthfully that I have not lived in America during this time. I would also say that I fled the country because of all that has happened. Plus, I wouldn't be renting again. That keeps me too vulnerable, even in small towns.

vintageracer

To Infinity and Beyond!
When I went to school in the 1970's a college degree meant something. It certainly helped you get a better job out of college particularly if you had a engineering degree.

Boy have times changed.

It seems to me that the single phrase I hear the most out a college degreed persons mouth these days is "Hello, What would you like to drink"! Lots of degreed servers out there with BIG college debt waiting tables.

Now there is nothing wrong with waiting tables. You can make a LOT OF MONEY waiting tables where I live working in a high-end restaurant. If that's what you want to do. GREAT!

The real question is why did you WASTE all that money and acquiring debt going to go to college to get a degree you are not using? Maybe you should have gone to Trade School. Most folks in the trades today make far Mo Money that most college grads. Pisses ya off doesn't it? The sad fact today is that most folks with a college degree are NOT "Earning an Income" directly related to their college degree!

There is so much MO MONEY to be made these days than in the past it's incredible. There is Money is laying everywhere on the ground. All you gotta do is figure out how to pick it up. There are so many MORE WAYS to "Earn An Income" today than there ever was when I was young. You can sit at home and make a $100K in your pajama's if your smart, have an idea and a computer!

Notice I did not say JOB I Said "Earn An Income". JOBS SUCK!

Figure out what you really like to do and go find a way to "Earn An Income" doing it. Rest assured in today's world somebody somewhere is doing what exactly YOU want to do and they are making a FORTUNE doing it!

Instead of complaining about everything why don't you go figure out what that person did to become successful. Instead of being successful at doing Broke People stuff why not go find out what Rich people do and try doing Rich People stuff for a change and see how that works for ya.

Pretty DEPRESSING reading many of the posts here complaining about their job, their employer, the government not GIVING YOU enough crap, taxes you pay and where you live. Your life must be one miserable existence.

Maybe it's time for an attitude change and quit worrying about everyone else and think about yourself for a change!

Last edited:

dole

Wow, I seem to have struck a nerve with two of you.

First of all, I have never been given a single hand out nor have I ever even insinuated wanting one. I was put out on the street with nothing and nowhere to go when I was 18, and have never asked anyone for a free ride since.

I did not go to college (dropped out part way of working myself through it) and I would love to see anyone try to list roles in the "game" that require more "eye of the tiger" than an account executive for a fortune 500 tech company with no college degree and no inside connections. I generated over $8 million for my company last year and I was paid handsomely for having the work ethic and skills to do several times more than other people with 20 years of age and 10 years of experience on me have been able to.

Sure, most... but not all millennials are liberal, freeloading, victimhood-obsessed pieces of ********.

Pretty ironic to come on here and call someone a loser for being willing to sacrifice comfort that you are not willing to sacrifice in order to achieve goals faster.

Last edited:

vintageracer

To Infinity and Beyond!
Wow, I seem to have struck a nerve with two of you.

If you mean ME I did not call you, any specific person or post a "Loser". Those were your words.

I posted what I thought about the posts made in this thread.

IF you thought everything I said was about YOU!

How wrong you are!

Your original post was pages ago!

sancap

Well, storm hit Hubbard Lake, stern of the Sea Ray submerged by damage, boat totaled, small personal items salvaged, insurance is paying, lake vacation/living is over!

Did someone say pop up camper? Second thought, maybe a class A?

You can have it all and travel, we cruised around the country with this rig for a couple of years. We also had a 13 foot inflatable boat and motor in the storage bins of the Class A.

motorh.jpg

JCliftonB

Life is relative, folks.

You can make money in real estate. It's not hard, scary, or out to get you. Yes, it has risks. Yes, it requires some capital to get started. Results will vary based on location.

If you don't have that much risk tolerance in your life, keep on renting from people like me. Personally, I like providing good places to live for good people. Those people pay off my debt for me while gaining a roof over their heads at a cost that is agreeable to their income or budget for housing. This, in turn, allows me to travel freely when and where I want to by taking advantage of the WFH (work-from-home) economy and general real estate dynamics.

If you would rather live in a vehicle and be nomadic and as detached as possible from the economy, be my guest as well and have a good time doing it. It'll be cold some nights and hot others, but if the satisfaction of knowing you aren't in debt to anything is worth the discomfort to you and your life then more power to you.

Different strokes for different folks.

That all leads me to your initial question of: can you live in a wedge camper? Some people can and some people can't. It's possible for some and not possible for others. The beauty of relativity.

I say take the risk and try it out. If it doesn't work out the way you like it, sell it and move on to the next chapter.

dole

Life is relative, folks.

You can make money in real estate. It's not hard, scary, or out to get you. Yes, it has risks. Yes, it requires some capital to get started. Results will vary based on location.

If you don't have that much risk tolerance in your life, keep on renting from people like me. Personally, I like providing good places to live for good people. Those people pay off my debt for me while gaining a roof over their heads at a cost that is agreeable to their income or budget for housing. This, in turn, allows me to travel freely when and where I want to by taking advantage of the WFH (work-from-home) economy and general real estate dynamics.

If you would rather live in a vehicle and be nomadic and as detached as possible from the economy, be my guest as well and have a good time doing it. It'll be cold some nights and hot others, but if the satisfaction of knowing you aren't in debt to anything is worth the discomfort to you and your life then more power to you.

Different strokes for different folks.

That all leads me to your initial question of: can you live in a wedge camper? Some people can and some people can't. It's possible for some and not possible for others. The beauty of relativity.

I say take the risk and try it out. If it doesn't work out the way you like it, sell it and move on to the next chapter.
I appreciate the positive way that you said that. In the type of work I do, all roads lead to real estate eventually. Everyone I work around owns multiple rental homes I know one day I will as well, I'm just not there yet. And going back to why I initially started this thread, maybe 20% of my desire to try living like this is in order to get to the real estate stage of life faster, which I noted in the original post. The way the economy is affecting tech companies sure isn't helping right now but I know it will ebb and flow and one day I will be an old guy living in a house managing rental properties too if I continue on the path I am on.

DRAX

Me personally, no, not in a setup like that. The biggest reason has to do with wind/storms, having camped in an RTT as well as normal ground tents it's basically impossible to sleep when the tent is flapping/buzzing/shaking in the wind. Having to always plan on camping somewhere protected so there's less chance of disruption isn't always feasible, either.

A lot of the YT influencers are "fair-weather" folks that don't show/talk about how awful it is to sleep in their soft-sided tents when it's storming or windy.

For long-term/full-time travel it's hard-sided-only for me.

dole

Me personally, no, not in a setup like that. The biggest reason has to do with wind/storms, having camped in an RTT as well as normal ground tents it's basically impossible to sleep when the tent is flapping/buzzing/shaking in the wind. Having to always plan on camping somewhere protected so there's less chance of disruption isn't always feasible, either.

A lot of the YT influencers are "fair-weather" folks that don't show/talk about how awful it is to sleep in their soft-sided tents when it's storming or windy.

For long-term/full-time travel it's hard-sided-only for me.
I find most van life "influencers" pitiful for that exact reason. A lot of them actually spend a lot less time living on the road than they say, or have a regular home and completely fake the whole thing by taking excursions every so often and milking the content from it for as long as possible. There are a few good ones out there though.

Thankfully I have spent my entire life as an avid backpacker and I can sleep through wind and rain in a tent no problem. I spent a year and change sleeping in an uncovered hammock hung out at a beach campground every night and it was the best sleep I ever got. Noisy neighbors in the apartment upstairs will keep me awake all night though.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Breezy78