Wow.. Just came back from the dealership....

keezer37

Explorer
Even with supply meeting demand, why shouldn't they go for near new prices? Other than someone else's *** being in it for a year or two, why should the value of it with anything less than say 60k miles on it make a difference? My '05 is sitting at 164k miles and there is nothing really wrong with it. I'm not even getting the stuff breaking yet you learn to live with when a vehicle gets older, heater, A/C, power mirrors, all still good. Other than being one of the unlucky bad head gasket recipients that affected a few 4.0L engines. Nothing rattles or squeaks yet either. I could just imagine how good of shape it'd be in if I wasn't monkeying with it.

MotoDave

Explorer
With Toyota and Honda both, I've always felt that 2-3 year used vehicle resale is close enough to new, you may as well buy new. I bought a '12 Tundra Double Cab 4x4 new, got it for $1500 more than a 5 year old used truck with 70k miles was selling for.

p nut

butter
Look at autotrader and set the search for private sellers. Expand it out to AZ, NM and other SW states. Don't be worried about getting on a plane. Road trips back are pretty fun.

I know a lady here in Texas that bought A brand new Taco 4x2 for $24,000. Looks good too. 4 cylinder. Maybe shop around the country. This was at a Toyota dealership in Beaumont, TX.

I'm going to assume that the truck CK 32 was looking at was a V6 PreRunner and what the Texan lady bought was a 5-lug 4x2. There is a $4k price difference between the two. Still ridiculous the dealer is charging that much. Probably lowballed the poor guy that traded it in.

This was from a Toyota dealership dealership.. Any suggestions? I swore I saw some 2010's around the $22k range last weekend I looked.. And 08's for $18,900... Do I have to find a POS to get a Tacoma at these prices?

Patience and luck are necessary. Like a lot of us have experienced, prices on used Toyotas (especially Tacos and 4R) are crazy. That's why I ended up with a new '10 Crewmax instead of a used 05-06 Doublecab. Not a bad outcome, but was hoping to save some $. However, I do know people who waited and waited (and sometimes waited) then jumped on a deal when it presented itself. They ended up happy. After hearing about what they did, I don't know if I'd wanna scour Craigs et al. forever until the deal I want appears...

Last weekend was memorial day weekend, im sure you saw cars for a few thousand less then you did this week. Thats just how the market works, maybe wait until 4th of july and you could get a better deal.

rkj__

Adventurer
Compare to the price of a Chevy Colorado, and ask yourself if the Tacoma is really that much better.

If you feel it is, then it won't feel like money wasted.

If you feel it is not, then save a few thousand, and buy a Chevy.

jaxyaks

Adventurer
I bought one in 2006 new for 25k...the used prices are silly if you ask me, but if you think tacomas hold value have a look at wrangler..they really hold value. I don't understand the tundra though..

Seeker

Adventurer
Money is easy to get. It floats the used car market and drives up the cost on new. $60k for a new Tundra is just stupid. I've seen these trucks fully loaded and its not like they come with anything outlandish and the factory suspension upgrades are always a poor compromise.

There are a few markets where inflation is definitely happening, the cars and houses are two of them.

olypenjeeper

I looked on my craigslist app, you can add many cities and states on there and look at everything within your search parameters. Then if it looks good, punch the vin into Toyota owners website, it'll have dealer service histories entered in. I live on the Oregon coast, prices for Toyotas in the Seattle and Portland area are just stupid high. I bought my Tundra in Spokane, a 1 hour flight and 8 hour drive back. It was worth it to me for the good deal.

rafiki2

Same happened to me when I went to my local toyota dealer. All were only $2-4k cheaper than new. A large handful were all high 20's. Only dipping into the mid 20's with 70k+ miles.

Ended up with a TRD Off Road for $33k tax tag and title included. It made no sense to buy used.

SuperBadger

I just bought a 2014 double cab TRD off road tacoma because I could not find a good deal on a used vehicle. I paid 31,700 for mine.

A quick word, if you have USAA they are running a special, and if you finance through them and go to a dealer through their car buying service, you can get a .59% interest rate on your loan.

CK_32

That app would be awesome if it factored in used cars as well. Not just 2014's.

Last weekend was memorial day weekend, im sure you saw cars for a few thousand less then you did this week. Thats just how the market works, maybe wait until 4th of july and you could get a better deal.

Yea but I'm not going to hold my breath. I've seen a insider trip investigation and they like the tundra I saw slap a clearance sticker on it and don't change a thing when it comes to price.

Compare to the price of a Chevy Colorado, and ask yourself if the Tacoma is really that much better.

If you feel it is, then it won't feel like money wasted.

If you feel it is not, then save a few thousand, and buy a Chevy.

We have one of hose at my work. Use to LOVE them.. But after driving it for a week I was not a fan. Especially with the exhaust node.. The Tacoma isn't much better but slightly IMO.

I looked on my craigslist app, you can add many cities and states on there and look at everything within your search parameters. Then if it looks good, punch the vin into Toyota owners website, it'll have dealer service histories entered in. I live on the Oregon coast, prices for Toyotas in the Seattle and Portland area are just stupid high. I bought my Tundra in Spokane, a 1 hour flight and 8 hour drive back. It was worth it to me for the good deal.

Half tempted I've heard great sales can be had in WA

I just bought a 2014 double cab TRD off road tacoma because I could not find a good deal on a used vehicle. I paid 31,700 for mine.

A quick word, if you have USAA they are running a special, and if you finance through them and go to a dealer through their car buying service, you can get a .59% interest rate on your loan.

Yea I have a Sea and Air federal credit union and OC teachers credit union I'm probably going to go through. Doubt I'll be able to beat those. I'll take a look tho. First I want to find a Tacoma I won't have to sign my soul away for before I start looking at loans.

rkj__

Adventurer
We have one of hose at my work. Use to LOVE them.. But after driving it for a week I was not a fan. Especially with the exhaust node.. The Tacoma isn't much better but slightly IMO.

The 5.3 V8 is a great sounding engine. It was optional from 2009-2012.

I got a 2010 TRD Off-Road double cab 4x4 certified used with 55k miles off Expo for $25k last year. I was in Phoenix at the time and all the local dealerships were asking $30k for similar rigs and $31.5k for new rides. Buy new unless you stumble across a deal like I did.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Breezy78