Wrangler Duratracs 235/86/16s on 1st Gen Xterra

jingram

Adventurer
So, my existing 265/75/16 BFG TA KOs were getting pretty bare. I had 45k miles on them. They wore like iron and really treated me right. However, I was ready for a bit of change and decided to go with a bit narrower tire. My BFGs were Load Range D and had the "snowflake" which I have to have since I am up in the Cascades a lot and while I carry chains, hate chaining up if I don't have to.

Since BFG only has a 235/85/16 in Load Range E and without the "snowflake", I decided to try something new. I have read so many good things about the Goodyear Duratracs that I decided to pull the trigger. Plus, I have been reading terrible reviews lately for the BFGs. Not sure if they have changed their manufacturing process or something. I had great luck with mine.

Anyway, I ended up going with 235/85/16 in Load Range E anyway with the Goodyear. They don't have a D range tire and their C range has only 2 ply sidewalls vs. the 3 ply on the E range. Plus it was all Discount Tire had in stock, lol.

Initial thoughts are that they are very quiet. Just as quiet as my BFG TA KOs were. I had them up in the snow and mud yesterday and they did great. Mileage is a bit improved. Power also seems a bit better as well, but I am running a 5spd with 4.10 gears.

At this juncture though, no complaints and I will most likely never go back to a 265/75/16 again for the Xterra. Especially considering that the 235/85/16 came in substantially cheaper than the 265/75/16.

I'll try and get some pics posted up in the next couple of days.

Last edited:

deadbeat son

Explorer
Beware that the siping is not cut the full depth of the thread on the Dura Trac. A coworker bought some for his Wrangler just before snow started to fall last year. This year, he already has no siping and plans to have them siped by a tire shop. For what it's worth, he has probably put 20k miles on the tires in that year.

Looking forward to the photos with the 235s!

jingram

Adventurer
Sure enough, I just went out and shined a light on the tires and the sipes are definitely NOT molded through the entire tread block. That was something that I didn't see turn up in any of the reviews I read and really good to know, although they are pinned for studs so they do have that.

Will be interested to hear your buddies reaction to how they perform siped from the tire store and whether or not that causes them to chunk.

deadbeat son

Explorer
I'll be sure to post up when I get some feedback from him. I'm not sure when he plans to have it done. As I mentioned, he has a pretty long distance commute. He doesn't take the Jeep off road much, but puts on a lot of highway miles. Hopefully they don't chunk too badly for him.

4Rescue

Expedition Leader
Those sound lie GREAT tires, but as Deadbeat SOn said, I've heard that they don't wear quite like the BFG AT's do. I'm 35K into my BFG's and they still look new and have plenty of siping left. Plus they're BRILLIANT in our wet slushy snow here (still SO annoyed that the SE is getting all this white stuff wasted on it and were not seeing alot here in the NW... I know folks are a bit BAD at driving here in incliment weather, but can you imagine a snow storm in FLORIDA or GEORGIA??? I can't even FATHOM how bad those folks are at driving in the snow)

Anyway, back OT, I too am looking forward to seeing these 235/85's I love me some skinny tires. What overall dimensions are they??? I gotta belive they'll do awesome in the snow untill they need re-siping. So... lets SEE"M eh :D

Cheers

Dave

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mitch Bears