Wrangler JK Expedition Rack: BajaRack

Scott Brady

Founder
Expeditions West had a chance to fit and test the new BajaRack JK Wrangler expedition rack system, which mounts to the 4-door Unlimited. This is their first prototype, and we will have it mounted to one of the trucks for our expedition team heading to Panama.

IMPORTANT NOTE: THIS IS A PROTOTYPE RACK, AND ONLY REFLECTIVE OF THE PRODUCTION UNIT IN GENERAL APPEARANCE AND FUNCTIONAL DESIGN, NOT FINAL DESIGN, STRUCTURE, ETC.

Like most BajaRack stuff, this is an attractive, well designed unit.

We will be sure to report on it's performance as the trip develops. Here is the full release: BajaRack JK Expedition Rack

bajarack_side_rubicon_jk.jpg

IMG_0140.JPG

Last edited:

articulate

Expedition Leader
What would Tom Sheppard say?

I've been impressed with the BajaRacks, for sure. Light, strong, attractive, and underpriced.

TCM

Adventurer, Overland Certified OC0006
I cannot help but notice that the attachment points look remarkably similar to the mounts used by Wild Boar for their JK racks. None the less, this is a very good looking system and if it proves to be durable will be one of the better rack options available for the JK platform.

ssmathis

Observer
I was noticing the same thing. Some, like Gobi, mount to the frame at the bumper.

I cannot help but notice that the attachment points look remarkably similar to the mounts used by Wild Boar for their JK racks. None the less, this is a very good looking system and if it proves to be durable will be one of the better rack options available for the JK platform.

Scott Brady

Founder
Nearly all Jeep racks mount in the same fashion, using the front A pillar and then mounting either to the body in the rear, or to a rear bumper / rear cross-member. Not many other ways to do it ;)

Garvin / Wilderness Racks actually figured it out first if I recall correctly, probably 10 years ago...

Scott Brady

Founder
It is another team members Jeep. They are currently in Guatemala doing some medical volunteering before meeting up with us in Central Mexico.

Scott Brady

Founder
Remember, this is a prototype...

The production units will be built in a jig, etc., and the span can be reinforced by the rack itself. If I remember, they built the rack by hand, and it had a little bend in it. If you look at the pictures, it is the rack that has more of a bend than the mount

Willman

I understand it is a prototype rack.....Just trying to help make it better!

Couldn't find the best picture of Gears Rack.....Looks like he put a ladder on the other side giving it some more support. I think his idea of the ladder should be on both sides to beef it up!

Here's a ExPo trophy shot from GEAR

P1030014.jpg

:)

Last edited:

JPFreek1

Explorer
Yeah, I noticed that too. Are there plans for your JK rig to have corner guards added to strengthen the rear body panels? That's a lot of weight and stress on the panels as they are.

The Swiss

Expedition Leader
Sent them a mail; I am very interested ... but just in the front and rear hoop, without the rack. Would be the ideal base to fab myself what I am looking for.

JIMBO

Expedition Leader
:sombrero: Checkout the MBRP JK roof rack

Very strong and doesn't stick out AT ALL

:costumed-smiley-007:smiley_drive::safari-rig::safari-rig: JIMBO

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vertical.dan