Wrangler LJ - JK axle swap?

I'd like to swap a pair of JK Dana 44 to my '04 LJ using Dynatrac housings.
There are several reasons I have chosen this setup: Wider track, High pinion, Readily available parts if needed, Larger brakes, and Speed sensors in hubs for future engine swap to name a few.

Can anyone shed some knowledge on the steering setup for this swap? As mentioned above; I'd like to do this using common parts so that should anything break, I can go to any dealer or part store for a replacement without any fabrication. That where my problem lies.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

HKguy

I'd like to swap a pair of JK Dana 44 to my '04 LJ using Dynatrac housings.
There are several reasons I have chosen this setup: Wider track, High pinion, Readily available parts if needed, Larger brakes, and Speed sensors in hubs for future engine swap to name a few.

Can anyone shed some knowledge on the steering setup for this swap? As mentioned above; I'd like to do this using common parts so that should anything break, I can go to any dealer or part store for a replacement without any fabrication. That where my problem lies.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have Dynatrac's JK modified 44 for my TJ up front. Stock TJ width but all JK running gear and accepts all TJ steering stuff if you prefer. Let me know if you want any pics or have any questions about it.

RubiconGeoff

Adventurer
I have Dynatrac's JK modified 44 for my TJ up front. Stock TJ width but all JK running gear and accepts all TJ steering stuff if you prefer. Let me know if you want any pics or have any questions about it.

If he's going with Dynatrac housings, he can have them put their huge JK inner-C's on it rather than TJ inner-C's. There is absolutely no reason to stick with the TJ's goofy Y-link steering - the JK's crossover steering is far superior. In fact, the JK outers are better all around: bigger inner C's, bigger ball joints, bigger and better unit bearings, bigger brakes. If he really wants to go heavy duty, he could have Dynatrac put traditional Dana 44 inner-C's on it so he can run a nice old-school Dana 44 assembly with flat-top knuckles, lockout hubs, and a wide choice of lug patterns. Heck, he could even have some bombproof kingpin Dana 60 C's and knuckles installed! Aftermarket axles are expensive, but you can have them built however you want to make for a perfect front/rear end with no compromises.

HKguy

If he's going with Dynatrac housings, he can have them put their huge JK inner-C's on it rather than TJ inner-C's. There is absolutely no reason to stick with the TJ's goofy Y-link steering - the JK's crossover steering is far superior. In fact, the JK outers are better all around: bigger inner C's, bigger ball joints, bigger and better unit bearings, bigger brakes. If he really wants to go heavy duty, he could have Dynatrac put traditional Dana 44 inner-C's on it so he can run a nice old-school Dana 44 assembly with flat-top knuckles, lockout hubs, and a wide choice of lug patterns. Heck, he could even have some bombproof kingpin Dana 60 C's and knuckles installed! Aftermarket axles are expensive, but you can have them built however you want to make for a perfect front/rear end with no compromises.

That is pretty much what I have but my steering was setup for my TJ along with thicker tubes, 1/4 inch brackets, and stock TJ width. The rear is a ProRock 60 semi floater, explorer discs, reverse cut 4.10s and Eaton Locker with 35 spline 1.5" axles. I have never had any issues with my Currielync or a touch of wobble with the new setup. I agree with you that the JK has better steering design, even better when you put AEV's high steer kit on it (wife's Jeep). Dynatrac was great to work with it just took a while to get mine through the shop and shipped but defiantly worth the wait.

RubiconGeoff

Adventurer
The OEM steering and the Currie CurrectLync use a Y-link setup that causes all sorts of weird steering geometry as the suspension cycles, in particular the changes in toe. The taller the suspension, the worse the geometry. The JK and others use a crossover steering setup with a straight tie rod that retains perfect toe and ackerman no matter how the suspension moves, and a separate drag link that can be easily set up to ride parallel to the ground while matching the track bar angle for stock steering geometry no matter what the suspension's height.

HKguy

I put a 5.5 long arm on my TJ and I have no issues with steering so far, I also have a 3.5 AEV Dualsport on my wife's 13 JKU Rubicon running 35's with the hi steer and have no issues. I fully understand the differences and the way they function in the two different models. My input was solely informative for the OP due to the nature of my personal experience with a TJ, Dynatrac, and JK axles in a TJ.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Deleman